Commodities

Florida

Recycles dryer sheets
How would you invest if you wanted to play the upside of commmodities due to the depreciating dollar.

Any specific symbols or products?

GSG DBC GLD for just gold play

How would you invest if you wanted to play the upside of commmodities due to the depreciating dollar.

Any specific symbols or products?

Condoms, with all the STD's out there, condoms are in demand. No one wants those ity bity crabaceous thingys crawling on them.

Also, insecticide, bed bugs are on the rise, really, be careful when traveling, spray the bed with Raid, once you get bed bugs and bring them home, you may as well burn all your furniture.

Ammunition, here in Nevadi people cannot get enough, they feel the unemployed masses are about the invade.

jug
bagged, sprayed and locked and loaded.:greetings10:

I have added positions in MLPs and added shares in a Canadian Royalty Trust. I like getting a decent yield whether oil prices go up or not. Most oil stocks and energy funds are pretty well beaten up, although some have recently recovered a bit with oil up near 53.

Jim

I like the Templeton Global Income Fund (GIM) as a hedge against
dollar depreciation. I pays a decent monthly dividend (~6.8%) as
well.

Cheers,

charlie

I like the Templeton Global Income Fund (GIM) as a hedge against
dollar depreciation. I pays a decent monthly dividend (~6.8%) as
well.

Cheers,

charlie

6.8% per month? Not too shabby. No relation to a guy named Madoff I take it?:rolleyes:

Sorry 'bout that Charlie. Couldn't resist:flowers:

Since all asset classes save govt bonds are down right now due to credit problems and business weakness, I would expect all these markets to recover(or not) more or less simultaneously. IOW, a bet on copper is partly a bet on copper, but more just a bet on a general recovery. Ditto everything else. Oil may be asomething of an exception, as 80 million barrels get entropized pretty much every day.

So basically I don't buy the commodity portfolio diversification argument.

A few weeks ago it seemed as if no one did. But now I notice people starting to talk once again about "ässet rates of return" etc., as if these were not completely dynamic and depending on where you are starting, and how things evolve.

Ha

Scoff if you like, unbelievers. Check out GIM on:

Sorry, Charlie. Wasn't scoffing. Thought it was a typo. If you say 6.8%/month, I'll take your word for it. I'd personally stay away from it just cause it sounds risky if ONLY because of the return. Hope it works for you. Thanks for letting us know.:)

Sorry, Charlie. Wasn't scoffing. Thought it was a typo. If you say 6.8%/month, I'll take your word for it. I'd personally stay away from it just cause it sounds risky if ONLY because of the return. Hope it works for you. Thanks for letting us know.:)

Do 30 seconds of research before opening your mouth and inserting both feet. Charlie even provided a link that you could click, but you would apparently prefer to snipe over nonsense.

For everyone else, GIM is an unlevered closed end fund that invests in sovereign, non-USD denominated bonds. IIRC, the bulk is in developed nations, but there is a modest allocation in emerging economies. If you can buy the fund at, say, a 5% discount to NAV, I think its a nice diversifier and dollar hedge. But I would not go overboard with it. And the yield is more like 6.X% annually.

Do 30 seconds of research before opening your mouth and inserting both feet. Charlie even provided a link that you could click, but you would apparently prefer to snipe over nonsense.

Actually, brewer, Charlie posted the link AFTER I inserted both feet - which is why I DID apologize to him. Maybe YOU should read posts before commenting on them. I was making a joke - inappropriate as it was, I meant no disrespect to Charlie. He's one of my RE heroes! Actually, so are you FWIW.:flowers:

Touche. But how much effort does ittake to stick a ticker into Yahoo finance or similar and find out what something is before spouting off about 6.8% a month and perceived levels ofrisk?

My poorly written post about GIM's 6.8% yield intended to say that
GIM pays a 6.8% dividend, on an annual basis of course, and has
a monthly payout, which I like.

Sorry about the confusion.

Cheers,

charlie

If the dollar falls, gold mining stocks may do well. Some of the juniors are undervalued, if you want to spend some time researching. I picked up some AGT earlier this week and it has had a nice bump.

I'm "investing" in 40+ year old comic books. :cool:

Back
Top Bottom