Join Early Retirement Today

Old 03-08-2018, 02:12 PM   #21
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Just wanted to share.... I liquidated some of my bond portfolio a while ago and have been like a deer in the headlights about reinvesting.... I can't find anything in fixed income that is attractive at all.... so for now I just put the proceeds in the Prime MM fund at 1.55% yield.... but in the process of doing so I noticed that there was an Admiral version so I clicked.... $5 million minimum.

https://personal.vanguard.com/us/fun..._redirect=true

Retired Jan 2012 at age 56
pb4uski is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-08-2018, 03:07 PM   #22
Recycles dryer sheets

For my fixed income portfolio I only own individual bonds both muni and corporate. I have been buying individual bonds for many years and almost always hold until maturity. Normally because the process for a retail investor to sell a bond will yield substantially less than the market price. The process to solicit a bid used by Schwab and Fidelity always results in offers almost 10% below market. The parties making the offer know the Seller is a retail investor and low-ball the bid. I am afraid that if you go on EMMA and look at past trades for the bond you have you will find that the sales price (to a retail buyer as opposed to a dealer to dealer trade) will be much higher than what you will be offered. There is no harm in soliciting a bid. You do not need to accept it. No harm no fowl.

Having said that holding 15% of your father's total portfolio in a Ford bond is probably inappropriate. Don't know the rest of his portfolio but I would be inclined to sell half realizing that he will take a haircut on the sale. Currently, I am personally comfortable with the Ford credit but not for 15% of a portfolio.
phil1ben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2018, 03:07 PM   #23
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by pb4uski View Post
Just wanted to share.... I liquidated some of my bond portfolio a while ago and have been like a deer in the headlights about reinvesting.... I can't find anything in fixed income that is attractive at all.... so for now I just put the proceeds in the Prime MM fund at 1.55% yield.... but in the process of doing so I noticed that there was an Admiral version so I clicked.... $5 million minimum.

Fidelity doesn't allow retail investors to buy that one. I parked my cash in FZDXX yielding 1.45% until I find something. I sold off a lot of investment grade long dated notes and preferred stocks back in December. I parked the cash in a MM fund waiting for the issues I sold to fall below par or find short to medium dated notes with more attractive yields. They are slowly starting to appear as people exit bond funds.
Freedom56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2018, 04:05 PM   #24
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by phil1ben View Post
For my fixed income portfolio I only own individual bonds both muni and corporate. I have been buying individual bonds for many years and almost always hold until maturity. Normally because the process for a retail investor to sell a bond will yield substantially less than the market price. The process to solicit a bid used by Schwab and Fidelity always results in offers almost 10% below market. The parties making the offer know the Seller is a retail investor and low-ball the bid. I am afraid that if you go on EMMA and look at past trades for the bond you have you will find that the sales price (to a retail buyer as opposed to a dealer to dealer trade) will be much higher than what you will be offered. There is no harm in soliciting a bid. You do not need to accept it. No harm no fowl.
Useful info. Thanks!
Old 03-09-2018, 11:55 AM   #25
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldShooter View Post
I know. My point was only to give you some benchmarks and an indication of how seriously professional fiduciaries treat imprudent concentrations. Sorry if I was not clear.
No worries! I was only answering what I thought was a question. Nonetheless, the information is good and may be helpful to someone else on down the line.

Quote:
Originally Posted by phil1ben View Post

Having said that holding 15% of your father's total portfolio in a Ford bond is probably inappropriate. Don't know the rest of his portfolio but I would be inclined to sell half realizing that he will take a haircut on the sale. Currently, I am personally comfortable with the Ford credit but not for 15% of a portfolio.
Well, an update of sorts. I looked at selling about 1/2 of it and the bid was woefully low, so I rejected it... as I wasn't interested in taking a haircut. So, as it stands, I am going to hold it. I am still not 100% happy with the bond(s) being 15% of the portfolio, but considering his age and weighing the fairly low risk in some big issue at Ford happening in a fairly short period...I am more comfortable leaving it as is. In the grand scheme of his total assets, he would have to be in really bad sorts for a substantial period of time before he would *have* to have the money from the bonds.

Thanks again to all the posters. I am now a little smarter about bonds, and I thank all of you for facilitating that!