Corporation earning calls

freedom2022

Recycles dryer sheets
Anybody actively listening to the corporation earning calls?
I like to listen to the Q&A session.
A lot of insights that I can learn about the corporation.

From time to time I had in the past. However, over time I've found it less valuable to dial in or listen online in real-time as the transcripts are generally available within a couple days and I can go through it in 5 or 10 minutes instead of an hour listening.

What I have found extremely valuable, which I haven't done in a long while is go to the annual meetings. Obviously, you need to live somewhere "close", otherwise you'd actually have to schedule a trip. For small companies, I found it invaluable. I'd get to meet CEO, CFO, and senior management. Once you've met them, and they've met you, they make themselves more available for communication. I did make an overnight trip to one, a small Virginia bank, and was the only shareholder to attend - it was me, the board, and maybe 10 employees at a local hotel conference room. I couldn't begin to tell you how excited they were that a shareholder came. Each one came to personally introduced themselves, chatted with me, gave me their contact info, and it turned out to be one of my best investments when they were gobbled up two years later.

I find the annual meeting no more than a marketing show when we talk about megacorps. I went to a Merck annual meeting once, since it was less than a 30 minute drive from home. I was immediately turned off with CEO and the board arriving in their individual black chauffeured cars. The meeting itself was just as useless, in a big auditorium on a college campus...a dog and pony show.

Now that I have more time, I need to search out a couple small companies where I can get more involved in the investment like this.

Yes, I do.
Especially I am listening to the Q&A session.
Sometimes I am not purchasing a stock when the CFO did not convince me at the latest quarterly web cast.

I would not listen live. Rather on a rainy evening.

I'm holding 20 to 30 positions. Listening to everything would be too time consuming.

With the outbreak of Corona I stopped attending AGMs.
I used to go there to talk to other shareholders.

Try to become a board member. The perfect income for fired/retired people.

I prefer to read transcripts - much faster.

I was in Actg/Finance for a fortune 2XX company for 20+ years. I often worked behind the scene's supporting the numbers and comments. Interesting process when you know everything that is happening to see how it gets relayed and received. Interestingly my company was always very conservative, yet I'm skeptical when I listen to calls from other companies (Zillow/ATVI comes to mind, fortunately I didn't own any when the bottoms fell out).

Now when I listen to the calls of companies I'm interested in, mostly its "we are super excited about the business we are in", "we are really excited about our strategy", "we have a great group of leaders and employees". You know its bad when they don't say this, but I don't think its necessarily a good thing when they do.

Back
Top Bottom