DCA suggestions in this market?

Fisherman60

Confused about dryer sheets
My first post here. Been lurking for quite sometime.

Thinking of buying into this market and not sure of what time frame due to volatility. This money won’t be needed for 5-10 years.

Invest weekly over 2 or 3 months or monthly over 6 or 12 months?

Or just stay out of the market?

Thanks in advance

Monthly

You have a long term horizon, so no need to race in.

My strategy has been to invest monthly or if the stock market drops by another 10%. Make it automatic so you don't need to look at the movements on the daily basis.

We have 500k or more to invest. I like the idea of monthly. Suggestions on to invest over a 6 month period or monthly till end of year?

I invest 10% of my cash. Originally (in February), I was planning to DCA on a monthly basis so that by the end of 2020 I would be fully invested. With market fluctuations, I accelerated some investments. My thinking was (and still is to a point) that by the start of 2021, it will become more normal - I may be wrong on this. If you think there will be continued market turmoil, I would DCA over 12 to 18 months. If you think there will be stabilization, I would DCA over 6-12 months.

Going through 2000-2002 I ended up investing quarterly, I used 2 years but I had a very large amount.

And this was when I had recently retired. If you really have a 10 year horizon it doesn’t matter so much. 5 years? Funds I thought I might need in 5 years I would not invest in equities.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom