Join Early Retirement Today

Deferred Comp - Need to take out in 5 years
Old 06-27-2019, 07:53 AM   #1
Dryer sheet wannabe

Deferred Comp - Need to take out in 5 years

Hello Everyone,

I am going to start by saying that I understand that everyone's risk profile and risk appetite is different. However, I wanted to get a general opinion on how this esteemed group will handle the following situation:

Age 45, Wife 44. Will like to retire in between 50 & 53. We have other assets apart from 457B but my question is specific to 457B.

I am in middle of switching jobs and my current employer allows me to take my 457B out in chunks of 5 years (monthly disbursements). I have decided to take those disbursements when I am 50- so starts in 2024.

I have about 85K in it- currently all stock based mutual funds. Again, not trying to time the markets but would appreciate any guidance on how I should change my AA to minimize my losses if the markets were to tank. Please be specific.

Thoughts?

MN_1021 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-27-2019, 09:51 AM   #2
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Most people your age would be playing the equities moderately aggressive. You don't say if you're 457B is from a governmental or non-governmental employer. Money deferred into non-governmental 457 plans may not be rolled into any other type of tax-deferred retirement plan. Are the funds allowed to be rolled over into an IRA Rollover--rather than be withdrawn and taxes paid over 5 years? Keeping the funds in tax deferred as long as possible would be attractive to most people if you don't need the funds immediately.

Bamaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2019, 03:37 PM   #3
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MN_1021 View Post
Hello Everyone,

I am in middle of switching jobs and my current employer allows me to take my 457B out in chunks of 5 years (monthly disbursements). I have decided to take those disbursements when I am 50- so starts in 2024.

I have about 85K in it- currently all stock based mutual funds. Again, not trying to time the markets but would appreciate any guidance on how I should change my AA to minimize my losses if the markets were to tank. Please be specific.

Thoughts?
If I understand correctly, you have ~$17,000 coming out for each of 5 years, beginning 5 years from now. So, the 2024 money has 5 years to be invested, and the 2029 distribution has 10 years.

From what I have seen, "the market" will be about even or higher after 7-8 years (any downturns are eventually covered by subsequent gains).

If your goal is mostly preservation, I would convert the first 2-3 years of distributions to short- to intermediate term bonds, let the balance ride in equities, and annually convert another year's worth to fixed income. In 2-3 years you'd be 100% bonds.

If your goal is exclusively preservation, I'd move it all in the bonds now. You could adjust equity positions in your other holdings to maintain your desired allocation.
Old 07-09-2019, 01:41 PM   #4
Dryer sheet wannabe

Retired in December at 51.5 with $52k in a 457 that I intended to use to help bridge the first three years to 59.5. About six months before retirement, I moved it all to bonds. That sounds conservative, but my overall portfolio was 70/30-ish. YMMV, but you said specific. In your case, I'd probably dial back the risk some to 70-80% equities for the first 4-5 years and then start moving it toward something more conservative around 40-50% ish.

While I "intended" to use it over three years, it took four sets of forms (partly my errors and partly incorrect information from them) and a jillion phone calls to customer service to get a check. I gave up getting multiple payments and decided to take it all and bid AIG/Valic farewell. During this time, they had a computer change which cut off access to my account online in March. They never got this resolved. Since I ended up taking a lump, 100% bonds was a fine choice.

Moving it, since that was mentioned above...moving it to an IRA would eliminate the main advantage IMO of a 457 which is the ability to access the funds without penalty prior to 59.5.
Tiny Kingdom is offline   Reply With Quote