Did anyone buy this week?

As always, "who knows" - I have changed my fund distributions to buy more shares instead of cash distributions.

I have also resumed putting "new money" - monthly 401 K contributions back into stocks.

You didn't even come close, but if you keep this up for the rest of the week you'll earn both my gratitude and my respect. ;)

Yeah... :duh: A lousy +413.21 sure fell short of +2000, didn't it?

Oh well. Had to do it at some point or another.

Buy more tomorrow, W2R!!! :)
Tell you what - - I obviously need practice so that I can do this better. So, I'm open to donations from one and all, and I promise I'll invest them all in the equity portion of my portfolio. That should take care of the situation --- up +2000 by the end of the week.:D

:D :rolleyes: - I feel like Lincoln when they told him him Grant was a drunk - find out what brand of whiskey he drinks and send him a barrel.

Sooooo - I wonder what kind of electrons my rebalancing Vanguard computers use to buy stocks to bring my balanced index up to snuff.

Hmmm - where does one buy electrons anyway?

heh heh heh - :cool: Still have not commited my little tiny bit of mad money yet.

I bought $30K of VIVAX today. If I had more cash on the sidelines, I wouldn't be afraid to deploy it, but I don't think there's any hurry. YMMV

Got tired (after getting bit twice) of putting in a buy order on an index stock only to have the order execute several dollars per share and a day or so later. Shifted a bit of cash from our bank to the Vanguard money market so we can snaffle up an ETF on one of the big lurches down. I see no shame in trying to market time when there are 8-10% price swings in a day. May not be good at the sell high side, but buy low(er) seems doable.

I've been steadily rebalancing from bonds into stocks after the huge drop, headed back to my target AA around 50/50. My vague attempts to time in at the recent bottoms have mostly failed, reminding my how difficult that strategy is, and instead I continue to trust that any of the prices of the last week will look like a deal in a few years.....

ReWahoo - I'm just dying to know what is in your "signature" line that causes it to say
[MODERATOR EDIT]

(You're so funny!)

DH and I just started our weekly DCA plan today to get back more in the stock market. I have been sitting on the sidelines for a month grinding my teeth, but I think it's about time.

We won't really get to our ideal AA for about a year, but who's in a hurry?

The only buying we are doing is with the 401k.

I do intend to rebalance some equity positions (within the equity part of the portfolio).

I am not intending to use my fixed allocation to buy more equity... too close to ER. I am worried it might jeopardize my ER plans.

Trying to balance out my greed with my fear. ;)

Bought GE @ 18.45 & F @ 2.17 long term holds.... (yrs)

My 401k already has 15,500.00 in it for the yr. :mad:

Still adding to the Roth, 26th of every month. Auto dep.

still bearish for a quick downwave below the October 10th lows and a rally to start after that

The Dow Transports and Industrials have to confirm each other's moves. Goes back decades. The Transports made a new low, but not the DJIA.

Just like the Transports made a new high earlier in the year but not the DJIA so it went lower. Transports are now rising and the DJIA has to confirm a lower low before it can go up. Transports went up a lot in the last 5-10 days so a correction is in order. Like it is for a lot of stocks and ETF's that already made a lower low and shot up

Charles Dow first picked up on this trend almost 100 years ago that stocks have to confirm each other's moves

Maybe, but with so much bad already factored into the market I think we have seen it. It was really over done. Like nothing else we have seen as it was so broad. On top of the 10-15% prior to the collapse.
(Did U.S companies really loose 50% of their value this summer?)
I think not.
I am just giving my opinion. Worth nothing.
On the plus side the election should help, not to mention Dec is generally better than Oct. Poor x-mas turn out or not.
The market generally hates Oct. O0

I've just bought $5K worth of high quality dividend stocks. Had planned this anyhow; decided to do it prior to the US election.

Maybe, but with so much bad already factored into the market I think we have seen it. It was really over done. Like nothing else we have seen as it was so broad. On top of the 10-15% prior to the collapse.
(Did U.S companies really loose 50% of their value this summer?)
I think not.
I am just giving my opinion. Worth nothing.
On the plus side the election should help, not to mention Dec is generally better than Oct. Poor x-mas turn out or not.
The market generally hates Oct. O0
My opinion is that the worst is yet to come.
Over the last 7 years when ever the DOW started to drop, the FED would lower interest rates and pump money into the economy. The DOW peak was artificially achieved through government manipulation. Now that it's come to a head all the government bailouts in the world will not stop the coming deep recession and what the market does during a recession is not usually good..

historically the market starts to go up when a recession starts. 2000 - 2002 was a different case. market started to rally in 2001 and right before 9/11 the downtrend was losing steam until the terrorist attack. but even then after a few down weeks we rallied big into 2002 and the Enron/Wcom BK's which were just a confidence issue more than anything else

historically the market starts to go up when a recession starts. 2000 - 2002 was a different case. market started to rally in 2001 and right before 9/11 the downtrend was losing steam until the terrorist attack. but even then after a few down weeks we rallied big into 2002 and the Enron/Wcom BK's which were just a confidence issue more than anything else

This time it really is different. The government can only do so much to bailout the financial institutions and prop up the market. They are running out of ammunition. In the coming months there are going to be millions of layoffs which will lead to even more people losing their homes causing even more pressure on the banks. Also it is the beginning of the commercial realestate meltdown and bankruptcy of the big three. There are more shoes to drop before we even start to recover. I expect the market to rise for a few weeks and then start it's search for the real bottom betwwen 5000 and 7000 after the holiday season..

GM and Chrysler BK's aren't going to be as scary as predicted. They will be in the BK process for the next 10 years or so while every little detail is litigated, assets sold and contracts negotiated.

in the meantime Toyota and Honda will increase production and start hiring workers that worked for GM. Acuras are made in Ohio and Tundras in Texas.

GM and Chrysler BK's aren't going to be as scary as predicted. They will be in the BK process for the next 10 years or so while every little detail is litigated, assets sold and contracts negotiated.

in the meantime Toyota and Honda will increase production and start hiring workers that worked for GM. Acuras are made in Ohio and Tundras in Texas.

There will be thousands layed off from good paying jobs that let them buy homes and support families. Toyota and Honda are going to see lower sales for awhile too while the recession takes hold. I doubt if Toyota will hire the Union boys from the big three.

http://www.reuters.com/article/marketsNews/idUSN0333490020081103

there have been studies done the Japaneese pay their people about as much as the big 3. big difference is they are more efficient and so their production costs are less

Back
Top Bottom