Join Early Retirement Today

Old 03-13-2017, 08:49 AM   #141
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Looks like only one portfolio allowed per contest. Which makes sense.

Well, at the start, Boho looks like a genius (or know just enough to be dangerous ) in the lead and me in 4th place.

But 1 year is a marathon, not a sprint .
Attached Images
File Type: jpg simvest contest status 01.jpg (149.5 KB, 14 views)
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-13-2017, 09:10 AM   #142
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I hope Boho is a troll because the alternative is in equal measures scary and sad.

Current AA: 75% Equity Funds / 15% Bonds / 5% Stable Value /2% Cash / 3% TIAA Traditional
Retired Mar 2014 at age 52, target WR: 0.0%,
Income from pension and rent
nun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2017, 09:14 AM   #143
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boho View Post
I changed it to a year. I'll have about 20% bonds and I'd want to compete with an index with about the same, or else someone has to tell me what I'm competing with it so I can balance the bonds accordingly.

There's zero chance of an index winning if I buy the same index and use my stock picking skills to take advantage of a once-a-year stock opportunity, so I'll go easy on the index by not buying stock.
For educational purposes, in that Simvest site, when looking at your account summary, comparing to the SP 500 is just a click away. So, when the contest is over, the comparing should be easy for you to do and see how well you matched up.
Old 03-13-2017, 09:41 AM   #144

Quote:
Originally Posted by nun View Post
I hope Boho is a troll because the alternative is in equal measures scary and sad.
I'm going to start reporting posts like that. If you say something like that, especially in light of the fact that I'm proving my trading works, you have to explain.
Boho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2017, 09:57 AM   #145
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
.... especially in light of the fact that I'm proving my trading works, you have to explain.
Ummm, that remains to be seen. Isn't that the point?

Declaring yourself the winner after the first 2 steps of a marathon run sounds like the ramblings of a troll-like personality to me.

Not sure how it works, but I imagine if you start reporting posts right and left, the mods may get tired of it, and you might find yourself banned. Just roll with it, your long term results should speak for themselves.

-ERD50
ERD50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2017, 09:59 AM   #146
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by nun View Post
It might help if he introduced himself in the "Hi I Am" forum Hi, I am... - Early Retirement & Financial Independence Community
Old 03-13-2017, 10:26 AM   #147

Quote:
Originally Posted by ERD50 View Post
Declaring yourself the winner after the first 2 steps of a marathon run sounds like the ramblings of a troll-like personality to me.
I'm not especially confident about that contest. The market is strong and that favors index funds and my whole point about index vs. managed was that the evidence that index funds are better (generally and practically speaking) is weak and there's a lot of misinformation. I'm becoming more confident in my stock trades and that's what I was talking about when I said I'm proving my trading works. With the contest, it's a tossup. I don't know enough to predict it.
Old 03-13-2017, 10:30 AM   #148
Give me a forum ...

Followed by the excuse-de-jour...

-ERD50
ERD50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2017, 10:41 AM   #149
Give me a forum ...

No matter who ends up in the winner, I think the contest is a good educational exercise. Hopefully, there will be some ups and downs in the market during the year's contest for good data representation. I'm not going to change my way of investing regardless, but will be fun to see how the traders end up.

I won't over post daily with a leader board, but maybe every month or two.

One thing for certain, just one day of "trading", I can say, the $5 commission each trade is killing me .
Old 03-13-2017, 01:33 PM   #150

Easysurfer, You may have moved ahead in the standings. I did not see the contest rules of a $5 limit on the stock price and had to sell a stock and buy another to replace it.
splitwdw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2017, 02:26 PM   #151
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by splitwdw View Post
Easysurfer, You may have moved ahead in the standings. I did not see the contest rules of a $5 limit on the stock price and had to sell a stock and buy another to replace it.
I didn't even notice the $5 stock limit and was thinking more the $5 virtual commission.

Maybe the trades haven't processed for you yet as I just checked right now and you are still on top,

I promise, I won't be posting the leader board so often. But like the Daytona 500, there is more coverage at the start and end of the race, so will make this exception.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg contest.jpg (175.1 KB, 10 views)
Old 03-13-2017, 02:44 PM   #152

Quote:
Originally Posted by easysurfer View Post
I didn't even notice the $5 stock limit and was thinking more the $5 virtual commission.

Maybe the trades haven't processed for you yet as I just checked right now and you are still on top,

I promise, I won't be posting the leader board so often. But like the Daytona 500, there is more coverage at the start and end of the race, so will make this exception.
I'm wondering what else I may have messed up. I could be eliminated for not following the rules. Was investing in Index funds part of the contest? I didn't, though I do have some index funds in my 401k and a rollover IRA. I didn't see anyone else signing up and did want to see how BOHO was going to do for the contest. We can always learn something. I may learn to read the rules!
Old 03-13-2017, 02:52 PM   #153
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
I'm wondering what else I may have messed up. I could be eliminated for not following the rules. Was investing in Index funds part of the contest? I didn't, though I do have some index funds in my 401k and a rollover IRA. I didn't see anyone else signing up and did want to see how BOHO was going to do for the contest. We can always learn something. I may learn to read the rules!
Quote:
The contest link is in my sig

Removed per rules. The contest is at goo.gl/ui8JI8

Splitwdw,

Click on the link that Boho gave and that shows the rules. Yes, investing in funds are allowed. You can invest in anything that is allowed.

The index fund discussion was mainly because Boho was saying in earlier posts that he can easily beat out the index. But invest on whatever you feel is best. Up to you.

Don't feel too bad as I made an investment to get used to the website, then ended up buying more of the same thing. Costed me $5 commission .
Old 03-13-2017, 03:24 PM   #154

URBN dropped 4.6% the day after it was removed from the S&P. Fake drop! I think that will be my next buy.
And They are Off and Running ....
Old 03-13-2017, 07:54 PM   #155
Give me a forum ...

And They are Off and Running ....

Just realized, the "Beat Boho" contest status is public so no need for me to post updates on a regular basis.

If you want to follow along who's on top of the leader board (which may change frequently) here you go:

Stock Contest Status for "Beat Boho"

Remember, we've only just begun .
Old 03-13-2017, 11:23 PM   #156
Give me a forum ...

Ok, I joined too. I put in a order for 1450 shares of Gilead, which is about $98,000 if it opens at 68 tomorrow. Today was ex-div so it might open $0.52 lower (the dividend).
Fermion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2017, 12:27 AM   #157
Full time employment: Posting here.

Sounds like fun, so I decided to join as well.

Will try and trade in a similar manner as i do my regular account.
Coolius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2017, 07:00 AM   #158
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fermion View Post
Ok, I joined too. I put in a order for 1450 shares of Gilead, which is about $98,000 if it opens at 68 tomorrow. Today was ex-div so it might open $0.52 lower (the dividend).
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coolius View Post
Sounds like fun, so I decided to join as well.

Will try and trade in a similar manner as i do my regular account.

Glad you joined to contest. The more the merrier.

Heck, it's not every day we get 100K to play with .
Old 03-14-2017, 07:44 AM   #159

Easysurfer, I still must be doing something wrong. When you look at the overall standings it does show we all have a balance of around 100,000. Under my account summary it shows the 3 stocks that I bought and I only had 10,000. to invest. It actually shows I have under profits -31.27. The first stock I attempted to buy, it showed I didn't have enough money. I was trying to use 1/3 of the 100,000., 30,000.
Avail. cash=19.13, withheld cash=0, short sales=0, stocks=9949.60, total=9968.73

Also, does your account receive dividends if your stock issues them.

This is funny, I have no problems buying and selling on TD Ameritrade, Vanguard and Fidelity but can't figure out this game.
Old 03-14-2017, 08:07 AM   #160
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Easysurfer, I still must be doing something wrong. When you look at the overall standings it does show we all have a balance of around 100,000. Under my account summary it shows the 3 stocks that I bought and I only had 10,000. to invest. It actually shows I have under profits -31.27. The first stock I attempted to buy, it showed I didn't have enough money. I was trying to use 1/3 of the 100,000., 30,000.
Avail. cash=19.13, withheld cash=0, short sales=0, stocks=9949.60, total=9968.73

Also, does your account receive dividends if your stock issues them.

This is funny, I have no problems buying and selling on TD Ameritrade, Vanguard and Fidelity but can't figure out this game.
The 10,000 vs 100,000 confused me too and the navigation on the site doesn't seem that intuitive to me. I think the 10,000 is what you get as default for your own test portfolio. The 100,000 is the amount allocated for the contest. They are two different portfolios.

Looks like something didn't process for you as your balance still shows at 100,000 as I would have expected a change. Maybe you bought out of the 10,000 portfolio and not the 100,000?

Not sure about the dividends.