Join Early Retirement Today

Old 06-30-2022, 08:03 PM   #61
Full time employment: Posting here.

I look at the market every day and tabulate everything in my spreadsheet each week. I check to see if I need to rebalance anything and nowadays look for tax loss harvesting opportunities.

The last few years, I also have taken to charting my results vs. the boring old S&P 500 (I use the Yahoo S&P 500 Total Return index as an easy way to include dividends). It's been very humbling to compare my other funds to the S&P 500.
Exchme is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-01-2022, 06:16 AM   #62
Recycles dryer sheets

Retired 6 months ago. I check everyday. Its been somewhat depressing, but I'm ok with it at the end. Still refining income plan as I have a few years before pension and quite a few before social security. Early morning my brain is still in good shape, so its my preferred time.
perez99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2022, 07:03 AM   #63
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-Bound View Post
Oh, but I think this job pays me well. And it is enjoyable too, just like my past engineering job.

Sold only 3 OTM covered calls today, but bought back 46 contracts for pennies. They were going to be worthless on Friday anyway, but might as well clear them off my book to get ready to sell the next batch.

I’ve been selling covered calls too. I’m in the process of simplifying my Roth IRA by moving the stocks into four ETFs (SCHA, SCHB, SCHD and SCHY). The cash I make from selling the CCs I put into an ETF. If a stock gets assigned, I put that cash into an ETF. Eventually those stocks will be gone and my Roth will be on autopilot in case something happens to me. Can’t do this in my taxable account because of tax consequences.
Dash man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2022, 07:32 AM   #64
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by perez99 View Post
Retired 6 months ago. I check everyday. Its been somewhat depressing, but I'm ok with it at the end. Still refining income plan as I have a few years before pension and quite a few before social security. Early morning my brain is still in good shape, so its my preferred time.
The good news: The theory is that if you were "okay" according to FIRECalc you should be okay for 30 years. I recall retiring in late 2005 and then hitting 2008 just after moving 5000 miles away from "home." Lots of stuff to think about. So far, all has worked out wonderfully after almost 17 years. YMMV

Anything which can be used can be misused. Anything which can be misused will be.
Koolau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2022, 07:58 AM   #65
Give me a forum ...

^^^ When I stopped work in 2012, I was also a few years from SS, Medicare, and even from the 59-1/2 when I could get access to 401k/IRA.

Darn, time goes by faster than you thought. I am now an old man with all the privileges bestowed to geezers. I still don't know if I should feel happy or not.

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
NW-Bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2022, 09:37 AM   #66

I look once a month (at minimum), as required to maintain my rebalancing rule, which requires checking monthly to see if anything crossed a trigger point. When I see chatter on this board about market swings, I might do an extra look. If none of the five web interfaces have changed anything, it only takes a minute to log on, grab, log off using a macro I wrote. But more often than not, something has changed, and I need to update the macro. I often ask myself why I bother with the macro, but haven't abandoned it.

As to checking frequently for nefarious activity, I trust that I'd see unexpected email alerts, so that's no motivation to check more frequently.
sengsational is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2022, 07:03 PM   #67
Give me a forum ...

After reading a recent thread on Bogleheads about fraudulent ACATS transfers, I'll be checking at least weekly, maybe daily.

https://www.bogleheads.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=381060

JoeWras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2022, 10:36 PM   #68
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeWras View Post
After reading a recent thread on Bogleheads about fraudulent ACATS transfers, I'll be checking at least weekly, maybe daily.

https://www.bogleheads.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=381060

I just learned about ACATS. It is the process which happens when you open an account at a new brokerage, and transfer all your assets from your existing brokerage.

It means someone steals your identity to open that new account at another brokerage, then transfer all of your assets out. I think the identity thief will then sell and transfer all the cash out to another account where he can then withdraw and disappear.

He cannot leave the money there in the ACATs receiving account, because that account is associated with your identity.

Quote:
What Is the Automated Customer Account Transfer Service (ACATS)?

The Automated Customer Account Transfer Service (ACATS) is a system that facilitates the transfer of securities from one trading account to another at a different brokerage firm or bank. The National Securities Clearing Corporation (NSCC) developed the ACATS system, replacing the previous manual asset transfer system with this fully automated and standardized one.

The Automated Customer Account Transfer Service can be used to transfer stocks, bonds, cash, unit trusts, mutual funds, options, and other investment products. The system may be required when an investor wants to move their account from Broker Company A to Broker Company B.
Only NSCC-eligible members and Depository Trust Company member banks can use the ACATS system.

How the Automated Customer Account Transfer Service (ACATS) Works

The ACATS system is initiated when the new receiving firm has the client sign the appropriate transfer documents. Once the document is received in good order, the receiving firm submits a request using the client's account number and sends it to the delivering firm. If the information matches between both the delivering firm and the receiving firm, the ACATS process can begin. The process takes usually takes three to six business days to complete.

The ACATS simplifies the process of moving from one brokerage firm to another. The delivering firm transfers the exact holdings to the receiving firm. For example, if the client had 100 shares of Stock XYZ at the delivering firm, then the receiving firm receives the same amount, with the same purchase price. This makes it more convenient for clients as they do not need to liquidate their positions and then repurchase them with the new firm. Another benefit is that clients do not need to let their previous brokerage firm or advisor know beforehand. If they are unhappy with their current broker, they can simply go to a new one and start the transfer process.

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
Old 07-03-2022, 04:05 AM   #69
Give me a forum ...

To be clear, I'm "looking at" my accounts just to make sure everything is there, and not obsessively checking performance. Mr. Bogle's advice to not "peek at your statements" is excellent metaphorically, but in today's world of on-line thievery, it is dangerous when taken literally. Look at your statements, just ignore the performance information.

So here's the problem, as grabbed from NW-Bound's excellent quote about ACATS above:
Quote:
Another benefit is that clients do not need to let their previous brokerage firm or advisor know beforehand. If they are unhappy with their current broker, they can simply go to a new one and start the transfer process.
So ACATS "pulls" from the existing broker. This does not require 2FA, MFA, security questions, etc. It just happens. Most brokers, including Fidelity and Vanguard won't even send you a text or email even if you have notifications turned on. ACATS just happens silently. One day your securities are just gone.

I remembered when I moved from E*Trade to Vanguard just how simple it was. It seemed too simple.

The thief needs to have successfully obtained your identity info. They need your exact name, DOB, SSN. Most of this is freely available on the dark web. They use this to open an account at the "pulling" broker in your name. The next thing they need is your brokerage account number, and maybe some rough information about the account.

The problem with Fidelity is that the brokerage account number is encoded on checks if you have their brokerage checking account. If you have such a Fidelity account and use it, make sure to "lock" your account in their security section.

Other things to consider:
- Snail mail feels good, but it is insecure. Go electronic. Print your own. Thieves can and do steal mail for financial information and sell it on the dark web.
- If you have a history of being hacked at your brokerage (somehow someone got your credentials), and even though you've changed passwords and "nothing" happened, well, something happened and they may have saved a view of your brokerage life. Get the broker to get you a new account number (an internal transfer)
- If you use Fidelity, consider the "locking" feature in their security. I don't think Vanguard has this.

ACATS fraud is not running rampant. Don't panic. Just be on the lookout. I suspect if this kind of fraud gets more common, we'll see some changes to ACATS, or at least options to "lock" at more places.

Old 07-03-2022, 05:33 AM   #70
Moderator Emeritus

I look once a month. I used to do a detailed look where my spreadsheet computed monthly and YTD for each account and investment. I got rid of the pct's. I'm now only interested in end of month total portfolio balance and monthly $ spent, and $ lost or gained per month and YTD.
Ronstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2022, 05:52 AM   #71
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-Bound View Post
I just learned about ACATS. It is the process which happens when you open an account at a new brokerage, and transfer all your assets from your existing brokerage.

It means someone steals your identity to open that new account at another brokerage, then transfer all of your assets out. I think the identity thief will then sell and transfer all the cash out to another account where he can then withdraw and disappear.

He cannot leave the money there in the ACATs receiving account, because that account is associated with your identity.
IIRC when I do almost anything at any of my account holders, I get an email notification virtually as soon as I complete the transaction. Is that not enough to catch a fraudulent transfer?

Anything which can be used can be misused. Anything which can be misused will be.
Old 07-03-2022, 05:56 AM   #72
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
To be clear, I'm "looking at" my accounts just to make sure everything is there, and not obsessively checking performance. Mr. Bogle's advice to not "peek at your statements" is excellent metaphorically, but in today's world of on-line thievery, it is dangerous when taken literally. Look at your statements, just ignore the performance information.

So here's the problem, as grabbed from NW-Bound's excellent quote about ACATS above:
So ACATS "pulls" from the existing broker. This does not require 2FA, MFA, security questions, etc. It just happens. Most brokers, including Fidelity and Vanguard won't even send you a text or email even if you have notifications turned on. ACATS just happens silently. One day your securities are just gone.

I remembered when I moved from E*Trade to Vanguard just how simple it was. It seemed too simple.

The thief needs to have successfully obtained your identity info. They need your exact name, DOB, SSN. Most of this is freely available on the dark web. They use this to open an account at the "pulling" broker in your name. The next thing they need is your brokerage account number, and maybe some rough information about the account.

The problem with Fidelity is that the brokerage account number is encoded on checks if you have their brokerage checking account. If you have such a Fidelity account and use it, make sure to "lock" your account in their security section.

- Snail mail feels good, but it is insecure. Go electronic. Print your own. Thieves can and do steal mail for financial information and sell it on the dark web.
- If you have a history of being hacked at your brokerage (somehow someone got your credentials), and even though you've changed passwords and "nothing" happened, well, something happened and they may have saved a view of your brokerage life. Get the broker to get you a new account number (an internal transfer)
- If you use Fidelity, consider the "locking" feature in their security. I don't think Vanguard has this.

ACATS fraud is not running rampant. Don't panic. Just be on the lookout. I suspect if this kind of fraud gets more common, we'll see some changes to ACATS, or at least options to "lock" at more places.
What is the "responsibility" of the account holder if your funds are stolen? Are you just "out?" or do they make it right or at least pursue the issue.

This seems like such a poor system that it needs more safeguards. What am I missing?

Old 07-03-2022, 06:23 AM   #73
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:

This is very interesting info. DW and I have most of our assets at Fido, so I investigated the "lock down" feature. It looks simple in that I can "lock" and "unlock" very easy within the security center. Most of our ECH transfers (e.g. our "monthly paycheck" from Marcus that I have set up to live on) are inbound transfers and not effected. I figure that ever January I will need to "unlock" and maybe once or twice a year, but that's not too bad. Thanks for the information.
Mark1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2022, 06:28 AM   #74
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koolau View Post
IIRC when I do almost anything at any of my account holders, I get an email notification virtually as soon as I complete the transaction. Is that not enough to catch a fraudulent transfer?
ACATS transfers out (pulled from somewhere else) do not kick an email on Vanguard or Fidelity, as confirmed by many people who recently did them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koolau View Post
What is the "responsibility" of the account holder if your funds are stolen? Are you just "out?" or do they make it right or at least pursue the issue.

This seems like such a poor system that it needs more safeguards. What am I missing?
First, don't panic. This is not common. The brokerages using ACATS require a decent amount of information to do the transfer. As long as you are keeping your information safe, this is very unlikely. You should not be "out" permanently, but like all identity issues, it's gonna hurt and could tie up funds for a while.

Your responsibility is to immediately report it to the brokerage as soon as possible. The earlier the better. First report verbally, then follow up with a written request. The "have it in writing" is outlined in the fine print we never read (I just read it for Vanguard under "Reporting discrepancies"). The broker is obligated to take it from there, per SIPC rules.

This should do it, and if it doesn't there's always legal action or direct requests to SIPC or FINRA.

If you have Fidelity, you may want to click the lock box under security.

As for ACATS, well, it came into existence because so many broker transfers were getting completely hosed. There's more good than bad here. What is a bit perplexing is that they don't require a "log on" to the distributing broker. Think about ACH: if you set up a bank account to transfer from, you either have to approve it with seeing and reporting tiny deposits, or you have to give them your log-on information. I'm going to guess that ACATS fraud has been so rare since they invented this that this step wasn't seen as necessary. Perhaps changes will be forthcoming in the future.

Old 07-03-2022, 06:32 AM   #75
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
ACATS transfers out (pulled from somewhere else) do not kick an email on Vanguard or Fidelity, as confirmed by many people who recently did them.

First, don't panic. This is not common. The brokerages using ACATS require a decent amount of information to do the transfer. As long as you are keeping your information safe, this is very unlikely. You should not be "out" permanently, but like all identity issues, it's gonna hurt and could tie up funds for a while.

Your responsibility is to immediately report it to the brokerage as soon as possible. The earlier the better. First report verbally, then follow up with a written request. The "have it in writing" is outlined in the fine print we never read (I just read it for Vanguard under "Reporting discrepancies"). The broker is obligated to take it from there, per SIPC rules.

This should do it, and if it doesn't there's always legal action or direct requests to SIPC or FINRA.

If you have Fidelity, you may want to click the lock box under security.

As for ACATS, well, it came into existence because so many broker transfers were getting completely hosed. There's more good than bad here. What is a bit perplexing is that they don't require a "log on" to the distributing broker. Think about ACH: if you set up a bank account to transfer from, you either have to approve it with seeing and reporting tiny deposits, or you have to give them your log-on information. I'm going to guess that ACATS fraud has been so rare since they invented this that this step wasn't seen as necessary. Perhaps changes will be forthcoming in the future.
Thanks, Joe. This makes me feel better - I think!

Old 07-03-2022, 06:40 AM   #76
Give me a forum ...

Earlier reporting of any fraud is always best. Even for cash, transfers usually take a few days, and brokerages usually put limitations on transactions after transfers for a few more days or a week.

If you report fraud during that time frame, it should go smooth because the securities or cash never went anywhere. Nobody is out money, so you should get fast cooperation.

If you wait too long, the thief could have sold the stocks or transferred out the cash. That naturally will require a lot more investigating and more information from you to prove it was an identity theft.

This is why it pays to look frequently a your accounts.

Old 07-03-2022, 07:47 PM   #77
Give me a forum ...

I remember seeing a sign posted at my dentist office: "No, you don't have to floss every tooth, only the ones you want to keep".

An analogous saying for this thread is "No, you do not have to do a frequent check of all of your accounts, only the ones you are afraid of losing".

I don't know when this ACATS was in effect, and what was used before it. But I have made a few account transfers over the years, and the only time the old broker called me was to ask for the reason I was not happy with his firm.

I told the old broker it was simply because the new broker offered me much lower trading costs. This was of course before the time everybody offered free trading.

With Quicken, I always do a complete account download of all checking, credit card, IRA, brokerage accounts every day. There are a few accounts that have no Quicken connection, such as Treasury Direct, an HSA, and a couple more MF accounts. I do admit that I do not check on them often because it is not expedient as just clicking a button on the Quicken screen. I may go as long as a year on some of these smaller accounts. That's not good.

Old 07-03-2022, 09:32 PM   #78
Full time employment: Posting here.

Along this line of thinking....My MIL inherited a small bank account from her husband when he passed away. When she finally got around to looking at it a year later the bank account was empty! Turns out the bank account was drained by bank fees. We all shook our heads in disgust. Bottom line is: monitor your money, watch out for bank or broker fees. There are many people out for your money, including the banks.
dmpi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2022, 07:49 AM   #79
Give me a forum ...

Quote:

I got an unexpected surprise the other day when I checked the balance in my 457 account, administered by T. Rowe Price.

It should have been six figures but now it was zero! Huh?!?

It turns out that the state had changed the administrator/record keeper from TRP to Empower (a company of which I’d never heard). The changeover won’t be complete for about another week (mid-July) so I can’t check to be sure till then.

Empower seems okey-dokey so I’m not too concerned. In the process of investigating I learned that Denver’s Mile High Stadium is now Empower Field at Mile High, for what that’s worth (I’m not a Broncos fan). But I really disliked TRP’s website and app so I’m hoping for the best.

steelyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2022, 07:55 AM   #80
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelyman View Post
I got an unexpected surprise the other day when I checked the balance in my 457 account, administered by T. Rowe Price.

It should have been six figures but now it was zero! Huh?!?

It turns out that the state had changed the administrator/record keeper from TRP to Empower (a company of which I’d never heard). The changeover won’t be complete for about another week (mid-July) so I can’t check to be sure till then.

Empower seems okey-dokey so I’m not too concerned. In the process of investigating I learned that Denver’s Mile High Stadium is now Empower Field at Mile High, for what that’s worth (I’m not a Broncos fan). But I really disliked TRP’s website and app so I’m hoping for the best.
These change-overs are nerve wracking. My old Megacorp's insurance portal is changing, so there is a period of no-man's land, like you have. The is one of many changes through the years. It seems like they are always bidding against each other. And frequently, the company that wins is something you never heard of.