Join Early Retirement Today

Don't look at your investments too closely.
Old 06-26-2022, 04:58 AM   #1
Recycles dryer sheets

Don't look at your investments too closely.

I thought this article was interesting. We have an investment advisor (low fee) and stick to a 70/30 allocation. I don't look at the stock market everyday or even every week.
https://www.marketwatch.com/story/ho...et-11656090138
KarenF is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-26-2022, 06:09 AM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I check all my holdings quarterly, no more, no less. I think you’ll find lots of that here…though it’s a learned posture - I watched CNBC and checked stock prices daily when I first started investing 35 years ago. Took about three years to realize it was a waste of time.

Target AA: 50% equity funds / 45% bonds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 1.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2022, 06:17 AM   #3
Give me a forum ...

Just looked at my AA for the quarter and realize I'm going to have to buy some VTI to ratchet up the stock portion. I only look quarterly.

I am looking at short term cash instruments with high frequency right now. There's too much action on the upside to just let it languish in bank account paying almost zero. But this doesn't mean I'm going to cash, it is just managing my existing cash.

JoeWras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2022, 06:17 AM   #4
Give me a forum ...

I look every quarter. Rebalance every year .
Old 06-26-2022, 06:53 AM   #5
Full time employment: Posting here.

I look at my investments once a week. Not only to see how they've done but to also ensure that nobody stole all my money. I would highly advice people to check at least once a month because after that you may have no recourse with the broker/investment company to get your money back.
dmpi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2022, 07:03 AM   #6
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

You all realize this is the *active* investing section?

Looking once a quarter/year doesn't seem very active, it seems pretty sloth like

ETA: I've gotten "better" over the years. I used to have a daily tracking spreadsheet that I manually updated every day. Then I created a spreadsheet that would auto-update stock values so that I could track in real time (across multiple accounts). Then I created something similar in google sheets. These days I don't keep the sheet updated (too much trading) and instead just occasionally get account values - how occasionally depends on what has been going on in the market.
copyright1997reloaded is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2022, 07:43 AM   #7
Give me a forum ...

I look at my investment account (401k) ~quarterly... I almost never buy/sell/trade or withdraw from that account. Matter of fact, I think I made one small withdrawal from that account a few years ago just to see how well/easy it would be to do. My speculation account(s) (IRA and cash) I look at multiple times a day since I swing trade in those accounts... I've been doing this since I retired over a decade ago... But especially the last few years. (Covid made me an on-line trading junkie). It's also become a hobby.

Looking at the ROI of these accounts, I can confirm that the buy and hold strategy of my 401k is by far more profitable than the swing trading in my IRA and cash accounts. Imagine that! YMMV
Old 06-26-2022, 07:56 AM   #8

I'm a daily kind of guy.
Mr. Tightwad is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2022, 07:57 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by copyright1997reloaded View Post

Looking once a quarter/year doesn't seem very active, it seems pretty sloth like
Good point. I have a full blown stock ticker running all day during the trading week and check it constantly. Doesn't mean I trade very often, just like to look at it and I also have my accounts open at the same time so monitor those regularly (daily) as well.
finnski1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2022, 08:06 AM   #10
Give me a forum ...

Twice a month, usually. Once, mid-month, when I record balances in my taxable accounts, and end-of-month, when I record monthly dividends. When I do any additional transactions, I look at, but do not record balances. On any of these views, I may do a rebalancing move.
Retired in late 2008 at age 45. Cashed in company stock, bought a lot of shares in a big bond fund and am living nicely off its dividends. IRA, SS, and a pension await me at age 60 and later. No kids, no debts.

"I want my money working for me instead of me working for my money!"
scrabbler1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2022, 08:11 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Tightwad View Post
I'm a daily kind of guy.
Me too, but most of the time I do nothing, only when my AA is 5% or more off 60/40.
latexman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2022, 08:33 AM   #12
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by copyright1997reloaded View Post

Active investor here too.

The mark of a good investor is his/her total return. Does not matter how often you check.
Lsbcal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2022, 08:37 AM   #13
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by latexman View Post
Me too, but most of the time I do nothing, only when my AA is 5% or more off 60/40.

+2
I find seeing relatively small daily declines to be less unnerving than waiting to see a huge decline for the whole month or quarter. Also I am actively looking for bargains, primarily in fixed income these days but the daily performance is prominent.
Old 06-26-2022, 09:35 AM   #14
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lsbcal View Post
Active investor here too.

The mark of a good investor is his/her total return. Does not matter how often you check.

Could be coincidence, but I feel like some of the advice that gets put out there is more to the benefit of companies who don't want you to see how poorly their funds or stocks are doing to keep investors from selling.
Even clouds seem bright and breezy, 'Cause the livin' is free and easy, See the rat race in a new way, Like you're wakin' up to a new day (Dr. Tarr and Professor Fether lyrics, Alan Parsons Project, based on an EA Poe story)
daylatedollarshort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2022, 09:46 AM   #15

)) If Rip Van Winkle fell asleep in 1987 and woke up today, I think he might be pleased. We tend to be short-sighted and refer to YTD and forget to look at 10 years passed.

I like the reference to Ulysses and the sirens. I have a tendency to have immediate emotional reactions but come to my senses before too much damage is done.

Ralph Waldo Emerson
Rianne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2022, 09:56 AM   #16
Give me a forum ...

Software like Google Sheets makes it very easy to track and check investments so I do. But I rarely trade.

It’s easy to check the weather too although I may adjust my daily plans based on that information.

steelyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2022, 10:08 AM   #17

Check my main account and checking mostly daily, once a month total up various accounts, about once a year calculate AA and adjust if far off target. But then DW & I are into RMDs/QCDs and so have to figure what we are going to sell and every now & then have built up too much in checking and look for what to buy.
Old 06-26-2022, 10:25 AM   #18
Give me a forum ...

I check every day and update every Saturday morning. . Not to do anything, but for me, a daily scan coupled to what the Dow is up to, over many years gives me a more intuitive sense of when to start paying closer attention or when to shrug things off.
Old 06-26-2022, 10:29 AM   #19

I spend some time most days looking after my focused garden of 20 companies--all perennials. I consider it good maintenance work.

If something (good/bad) is happening with them, I want to know now, not 3 months from now. I rarely act...these are long-term dividend income investments...but as the person responsible in my family of 2, it's a primary concern. It helps that I LOVE this activity and have done so for the last 30-plus years!

-BB
Old 06-26-2022, 10:48 AM   #20
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryan Barnfellow View Post
I spend some time most days looking after my focused garden of 20 companies--all perennials. I consider it good maintenance work.

If something (good/bad) is happening with them, I want to know now, not 3 months from now. I rarely act...these are long-term dividend income investments...but as the person responsible in my family of 2, it's a primary concern. It helps that I LOVE this activity and have done so for the last 30-plus years!

-BB

Yes, I like to see what stocks of mine go up, what go down, although I don't necessarily do anything about it. Then, I try to discern any reason for the move.

I just counted 129 positions of stocks and ETFs.

I don't trade stocks much, but sell 20-30 out-of-the-money option contracts each trading day. The intention is to pocket the option premium when the options expire worthless. I often end up having to buy/sell stocks when the options end up being in-the-money.

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
NW-Bound is offline   Reply With Quote