Join Early Retirement Today

Old 07-04-2022, 08:38 AM   #81
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeWras View Post
These change-overs are nerve wracking. My old Megacorp's insurance portal is changing, so there is a period of no-man's land, like you have. The is one of many changes through the years. It seems like they are always bidding against each other. And frequently, the company that wins is something you never heard of.

I was unaware (most likely had ignored) advance warning from the state plan about the switch. My TRP online account only showed “conversion debit”. I found the transition notice and it clearly said there would be no change in investment choices or balances. That was reassuring. I only keep the account because it’s my only access to a stable value fund. I’ve used it since 2005 and this is the first such change.

steelyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-04-2022, 08:46 AM   #82
Give me a forum ...

Well, dayum. I just re-ran my financial plan in my main brokerage firm's model (it brings in accounts form other firms) and my chance of not outliving my savings went from 99% in the regular scenario/99% in the LTC scenario to 99%/98%. Gotta turn off the A/C and reduce expenses!

On checking accounts regularly: we've had discussions on this before but look up escheat laws. A Planet Money podcast told of one poor guy who had Apple stock in a Fidelity account, never looked at it, figured it was worth $X at some point, and then found the account had been closed. Fidelity had turned it over to the state, which then sold it. The process worked as it was supposed to- Fidelity was required to turn it over and the state is not in the business of deciding whether to buy/sell/hold- but he was able to recover only the liquidated value, which was a fraction of what it would have been had it not been sold.
athena53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2022, 10:39 AM   #83

Quote:
Originally Posted by athena53 View Post
Well, dayum. I just re-ran my financial plan in my main brokerage firm's model (it brings in accounts form other firms) and my chance of not outliving my savings went from 99% in the regular scenario/99% in the LTC scenario to 99%/98%. Gotta turn off the A/C and reduce expenses!

On checking accounts regularly: we've had discussions on this before but look up escheat laws. A Planet Money podcast told of one poor guy who had Apple stock in a Fidelity account, never looked at it, figured it was worth $X at some point, and then found the account had been closed. Fidelity had turned it over to the state, which then sold it. The process worked as it was supposed to- Fidelity was required to turn it over and the state is not in the business of deciding whether to buy/sell/hold- but he was able to recover only the liquidated value, which was a fraction of what it would have been had it not been sold.
After my DF passed, I found that one of his stocks had escheated to the State. I was given the choice of recovering the stock or taking cash. I did have the stock transferred to the brokerage account. Presumably this option depends upon the State.
Old 07-04-2022, 02:51 PM   #84
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koolau View Post
Sorry, but checking every day begins to sound like a j*b to me. As long as I know I have enough, I don't need to be checking that often. Now, my money w*rks for me, not the other way around. YMMV

I can check my account in 20 seconds on my phone. That’s not like any job I ever had. Besides, I’m naturally curious about daily market news so I’m checking that too.
Old 07-04-2022, 02:56 PM   #85
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koolau View Post
Sorry, but checking every day begins to sound like a j*b to me. As long as I know I have enough, I don't need to be checking that often. Now, my money w*rks for me, not the other way around. YMMV
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazz4cash View Post
I can check my account in 20 seconds on my phone. That’s not like any job I ever had. Besides, I’m naturally curious about daily market news so I’m checking that too.

Without checking often, you don't know if your money is now working for someone else.

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
NW-Bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2022, 05:00 PM   #86
Give me a forum ...

On the Bogleheads thread, some folks shared recent "pull" ACATS transactions from Vanguard. And the good news is they reported getting an email.

So just pay attention out there. The earlier you report problems, the better.

JoeWras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2022, 07:55 PM   #87
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeWras View Post
On the Bogleheads thread, some folks shared recent "pull" ACATS transactions from Vanguard. And the good news is they reported getting an email.

So just pay attention out there. The earlier you report problems, the better.
Yeah, it's been a while, but I checked my saved e-mails and found e-mails letting me know when I did stuff in my 401(k) and at Vanguard. YMMV

Anything which can be used can be misused. Anything which can be misused will be.
Koolau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2022, 09:12 PM   #88
Give me a forum ...

I just logged in to look at a couple of accounts I have not checked since last December.

Whew. My money is still there.

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
Old 07-05-2022, 07:17 AM   #89
Recycles dryer sheets

I don't look during bear markets but I gave into temptation and found a good tax loss harvesting opportunity and also converted some individual stock from Traditional to Roth.
Ncc1701 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2022, 04:22 PM   #90
Dryer sheet aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarenF View Post
I thought this article was interesting. We have an investment advisor (low fee) and stick to a 70/30 allocation. I don't look at the stock market everyday or even every week.
https://www.marketwatch.com/story/ho...et-11656090138
I think about it differently. I look everyday and do research to find out why it's happening so when I step into the voting booth I'm an informed voter. If you keep your head in the sand you deserve to lose your money. It may hurt to look but the next time you will be better prepared. If your broker is telling you not to look it's because they are embarrassed at their own performance and trying to hide. It's your money and you should be extremely upset that the brokers didn't see the GIANT FLASHING SIGN that said trouble ahead.
Gary 1958 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2022, 08:38 AM   #91
Dryer sheet aficionado

I have been checking daily, trend analysis and research on all. Sell or buy more when required. Been doing this Fire'd in 2012. Don't need to do this anymore but the process is in my blood. Love it....Mostly in cash now and not buying anything until S&P 3000 and will consider..
Almost There 2021 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2022, 09:57 AM   #92
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary 1958 View Post
I think about it differently. I look everyday and do research to find out why it's happening so when I step into the voting booth I'm an informed voter. If you keep your head in the sand you deserve to lose your money.
I agree. I update (and save results) on the first of the month no matter how bad things are. The resulting graph, which I have from 30 years back, really puts the "disastrous" markets in perspective. The lesson I learned is that the good stuff recovers, so weed out under-performers along the way and sit tight in bear markets.

As for inflation- that's why I stay invested. What's important is the "real" rate of return over time- the delta between investment returns and inflation. It will be negative if you don't have some in equities.
Old 07-06-2022, 01:56 PM   #93
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midpack View Post
- I watched CNBC and checked stock prices daily

I know, right! When I worked, I used to watch or listen to Cramer. After retirement and the change in mindset, I realized that his job is to get everyone riled up and slobbering to "invest" (more like trade) in the latest stuff. I often wondered what kind of kickbacks he gets
sroby2020 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2022, 05:00 AM   #94
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by sroby2020 View Post
I know, right! When I worked, I used to watch or listen to Cramer. After retirement and the change in mindset, I realized that his job is to get everyone riled up and slobbering to "invest" (more like trade) in the latest stuff. I often wondered what kind of kickbacks he gets
+1 I saw him once and came to the same conclusion. Too slick, arrogant, and fast talking for me.

Cheers!
Badger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2022, 05:23 AM   #95
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by sroby2020 View Post
I record and watch the first 6 minutes of Cramer every night. I don't look for stock tips as I'm not a trader, but every few days I find he'll offer a broader insight to what's going on in the market.

For me, he's just one of many inputs that I digest, consider and learn from. Along with some good folks here, he did peel me off the ceiling back in '08/'09 for which I'm forever grateful and financially better off as a result.
Old 07-07-2022, 06:26 AM   #96
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by marko View Post
For me, he's just one of many inputs that I digest, consider and learn from. Along with some good folks here, he did peel me off the ceiling back in '08/'09 for which I'm forever grateful and financially better off as a result.
I agree- good overall perspective. You also have to remember he influences a LOT of people. He may be wrong but what he says could affect the market or a particular stock!

It's good to keep a healthy skepticism about his CEO interviews, though. He always adores his interviewees, including Elizabeth Holmes, the founder of Theranos. I heard that one on a podcast. She's now in jail.
Old 07-07-2022, 09:44 AM   #97
Give me a forum ...

I don't watch CNBC anymore, but often see a bit of snippets on YouTube. Cramer may be right occasionally, but he's wrong just as often.

Yes, he is cocky and arrogant, but this kind of personality is needed to get followers. It's true for many jobs with a public presence, from politicians to celebrity chefs. People like this kind of cr*p.

Old 07-07-2022, 09:53 AM   #98
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Badger View Post
+1 I saw him once and came to the same conclusion. Too slick, arrogant, and fast talking for me.

Cheers!
For a short while I found his antics to be entertaining. It wears thing pretty quickly, however. YMMV

Anything which can be used can be misused. Anything which can be misused will be.
Old 07-07-2022, 10:30 AM   #99
Give me a forum ...

Quarterly at most. Not an active investor any more. They are all under management.
brett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2022, 10:42 AM   #100
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by brett View Post
Quarterly at most. Not an active investor any more. They are all under management.
Heh, heh, so are mine. MY management!:cool smiley: I still don't look that often. YMMV as always.