Join Early Retirement Today

Old 12-20-2016, 04:33 PM   #101
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Proud View Post
Too late.... she was thinking it!!!!
Mind reader!

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-20-2016, 05:01 PM   #102
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Proud View Post
Too late.... she was thinking it!!!!
Ruh roh.

I would say time to put in the sell orders, but I *think* the rule is she actually has to use the word in a post before the market reacts. Haven't backtested that though.
"At times the world can seem an unfriendly and sinister place, but believe us when we say there is much more good in it than bad. All you have to do is look hard enough, and what might seem to be a series of unfortunate events, may in fact be the first steps of a journey." Violet Baudelaire.
SecondCor521 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2016, 05:17 PM   #103

Quote:
Originally Posted by SecondCor521 View Post
I would say time to put in the sell orders, but I *think* the rule is she actually has to use the word in a post before the market reacts. Haven't backtested that though.
Well, we only have the one sample to go by. I think a good test would be to have everyone short the market, have W2R make the "Wh***!" post, and then we'll all collect.

But I do have to wonder if the SEC would consider that insider trading....
Old 12-21-2016, 02:12 PM   #104
Gone but not forgotten

I have been doing very well selling when W2R starts getting enthusiastic.I just take some of my profits before it drops better than any newsletter.
Moemg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2016, 04:27 PM   #105

If you want a reliable SELL signal, here it is:

Cramer's flashing signal that the massive rally is here to stay

Quote:
stocks that have led the Dow Jones industrial average to the brink of 20,000 are entirely justified to be at these levels.
braumeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2016, 08:34 PM   #106
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by braumeister View Post
If you want a reliable SELL signal, here it is:

Cramer's flashing signal that the massive rally is here to stay

Okay, i'm going "all in"....he's never wrong.He's a TV expert.
HadEnuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2016, 08:48 PM   #107

The only time Cramer was ever right was when he made his field bet on some of the tech companies after the tech crash. Anyone that made that bet made money. I only bought Oracle, but I made some decent money on it.
Another Reader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2016, 08:53 PM   #108
Gone but not forgotten

Quote:
Originally Posted by Another Reader View Post
The only time Cramer was ever right was when he made his field bet on some of the tech companies after the tech crash. Anyone that made that bet made money. I only bought Oracle, but I made some decent money on it.
I made a decent amount of money on Oracle . I was in an investment club and one of the members recommended it when it was a no nothing stock . We rode it all the way up and then got out before the crash.
Moemg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2016, 09:57 PM   #109
Give me a forum ...

He must have been right when he built his fortune, no?

I don't watch his shows but I can get why people are down on him.
explanade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2016, 05:51 AM   #110

Quote:
But he's on TV. He must have a crystal ball. Right??
HadEnuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2016, 04:49 PM   #111

I'm thinking DOW 20k ain't happening this year and I suspect a big sell off next year.
dvalley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2016, 04:56 PM   #112
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by dvalley View Post
I'm thinking DOW 20k ain't happening this year and I suspect a big sell off next year.
I don't pretend to have a crystal ball but there is a part of me that suspects there will be psychological resistance to that number.
"Hey, for every ten dollars, that's another hour that I have to be in the work place. That's an hour of my life. And my life is a very finite thing. I have only 'x' number of hours left before I'm dead. So how do I want to use these hours of my life? Do I want to use them just spending it on more crap and more stuff, or do I want to start getting a handle on it and using my life more intelligently?" -- Joe Dominguez (1938 - 1997)
ziggy29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2016, 06:45 PM   #113

Where's our "wh** girl"? Did she ruin Dow 20k for us?
Another Reader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2016, 06:46 PM   #114
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Where's our "wh** girl"? Did she ruin Dow 20k for us?

All we need is 167 points in the next two days. It could happen!

Old 12-28-2016, 08:49 PM   #115
Recycles dryer sheets

I had a gut feeling this morning before the open that we were going to hit 20K today. So much for that.
Johanson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2016, 06:36 PM   #116
Give me a forum ...

If the market keeps on going up, that's fine.

If it doesn't, I will have a couple of call options expiring worthless in Jan 2017, and I pocket the premiums. They don't make me rich, but will pay for our airfare to Paris in the upcoming trip.

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
NW-Bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2016, 07:24 PM   #117

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-Bound View Post
If the market keeps on going up, that's fine.

If it doesn't, I will have a couple of call options expiring worthless in Jan 2017, and I pocket the premiums. They don't make me rich, but will pay for our airfare to Paris in the upcoming trip.
Excellent, have fun!. I see that Swiss air has some first class tickets left over for their Seattle - Paris route $17,660/ea. Should be a nice trip
ejman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2016, 08:07 PM   #118
Moderator Emeritus

Maybe the Dow will hit 20,000 tomorrow. Don't know. A one day surge upwards by a mere 181 points would do it.

Still, I remember when the Dow went past 10,000 for the first time. I don't remember how long it took, but it seemed like FOREVER. It would get close, then pull back, and so on. Sort of teased us for a while.

Old 12-29-2016, 08:59 PM   #119
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ejman View Post
Excellent, have fun!. I see that Swiss air has some first class tickets left over for their Seattle - Paris route $17,660/ea. Should be a nice trip
Ummm... That takes a lot more than the premiums from my options. The tickets have actually been purchased, as reported here: http://www.early-retirement.org/foru...ml#post1805536 I have yet another option out expiring in Feb, which will pay for tickets to/from LAX.

By the way, I will get the 1st class tickets after you get those fancy French Hi-Fi speakers that I suggested.

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
NW-Bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2016, 04:56 AM   #120

Quote:
As a contrarian, I like hearing bearishness.