DOW heading 20K !

Thanks GrayHare - it's like having the crystal ball :)

Futures aren't that useful and they can jump around a lot in a few hours.

I believe the CNBC app. also shows futures.

It got within 1.18 points (0.006%) at 12:42.

It got to 19,999.63 according to CNBC.

And it looks like it's making another run now!

Last edited:
17 more points!!! C'mon, 20,000!!! :clap:

Attachments

• Capture.JPG
    Capture.JPG
    13.8 KB · Views: 115
Heck just round it up and call it 20K.

Just for curiosity, I did the math, and as far as I can figure, if, when it hit 19,999.63, the price of that Dow stock that was traded had an execution price of 6 cents higher, it would have resulted in the Dow reaching 20,000:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DJIA_divisor

https://www.google.com/search?q=0.1...=UTF-8#q=0.14602128057775+*+(20000+-+19999.63)

So yeah, close enough in my book.

I have sometimes wondered in situations like this if it would be possible to put in an order and deliberately overpay for some shares of stock in an index, figuring when the trade went through that I would own "the" shares which made the Dow go through $20K. Like buying 2 shares of PFE for $200. Heck, maybe doing so those shares might be considered a collectible item? :) I don't know if they recalculate the average with every single trade of every single stock in the DJIA or not.

Just for curiosity, I did the math, and as far as I can figure, if, when it hit 19,999.63, the price of that Dow stock that was traded had an execution price of 6 cents higher, it would have resulted in the Dow reaching 20,000:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DJIA_divisor

https://www.google.com/search?q=0.1...=UTF-8#q=0.14602128057775+*+(20000+-+19999.63)

So yeah, close enough in my book.

I have sometimes wondered in situations like this if it would be possible to put in an order and deliberately overpay for some shares of stock in an index, figuring when the trade went through that I would own "the" shares which made the Dow go through $20K. Like buying 2 shares of PFE for $200. Heck, maybe doing so those shares might be considered a collectible item? :) I don't know if they recalculate the average with every single trade of every single stock in the DJIA or not.

The answer to your question is "NO".... you cannot overbid and pay more than what someone has offered to sell the shares....

If I offer to sell 1000 shares at $10.00.... and you bid $10.50.... you will buy them at $10.00...

I wonder how much (how many dollars total) it would have taken us as a group to buy and bid up one or more Dow stocks to push the average to the "magical" 20k today. I don't even know the order of magnitude. Would $1 million have done it? $10m? $100m?

CNBC says a 0.02% increase in shares of Goldman Sachs would have pushed the Dow to 20k. The GS market cap is $96b, and 0.02% of that is $19.2 million.

It's been going to 20K for a very long time. Over 130 years now.

I don't think it counts until it CLOSES at 20K, anyway. So what if it bobbles over the line momentarily during the day. Just my opinion...

I Just hope that Dow 20,000 doesn't get to be a replay of the 1966 -1982 period when Dow 1,000 was the equivalent Photo

The answer to your question is "NO".... you cannot overbid and pay more than what someone has offered to sell the shares....

If I offer to sell 1000 shares at $10.00.... and you bid $10.50.... you will buy them at $10.00...

Ah. Oh well, now I know that I didn't miss those opportunities back at 10K and 15K when I had the idea.

As regards the first part of my original quote, I kinda wonder if this guy plagiarized me:

Dow misses 20,000 milestone by about a nickel - MarketWatch.com

ETA: I guess I did the math right.

Anybody besides me believe the failure to push through Dow 20k is quite bearish?
Once it got close I expected nothing could prevent a close above 20k followed by some backing and filling. Lots of emotional energy and anticipation is driving the Dow right now.

Back
Top Bottom