Join Early Retirement Today

Old 04-30-2022, 01:48 PM   #101
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

S&P 500 is what matters right?
F.I.R.E User is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-30-2022, 02:23 PM   #102

Quote:
Originally Posted by F.I.R.E User View Post
I kinda think it’s my personal portfolio that matters.

The S&P is a decent proxy for the market, but it is only 500 stocks and no international. Still, that’s pretty much what I pay attention to after I look at how my brokerage account did.
Old 04-30-2022, 02:28 PM   #103
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by F.I.R.E User;

The S&P500 is too heavily weighted in a few stocks. It’s not a good proxy for the market anymore.
Dash man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2022, 02:29 PM   #104

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry1 View Post
I kinda think it’s my personal portfolio that matters.

The S&P is a decent proxy for the market, but it is only 500 stocks and no international. Still, that’s pretty much what I pay attention to after I look at how my brokerage account did.
True but most of us have invested in SP 500.
F.I.R.E User is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2022, 07:31 PM   #105

If this last dip shakes you up.....what did you expect ? Forever returns of 20% with no downside potential? This is nothing.

Long term or go home. I am 80% invested in the SP 500 because long term it will beat the heck out of anything I would pick to buy ( I tried and failed). Bonds suck and cash is a good ballast.

Lets all get back to work and let things happen. This is nothing to worry about.
Stormy Kromer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2022, 07:50 PM   #106

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stormy Kromer View Post
If this last dip shakes you up.....what did you expect ? Forever returns of 20% with no downside potential? This is nothing.

Long term or go home. I am 80% invested in the SP 500 because long term it will beat the heck out of anything I would pick to buy ( I tried and failed). Bonds suck and cash is a good ballast.

Lets all get back to work and let things happen. This is nothing to worry about.
Long term is fine if you're in your 30's or 40's. A lot of people here are older than that. The S&P 500 has gone around 18 years before it recovered at one point in the past when factoring in dividend reinvestment and adjusted for inflation. It was like a decade in doing so in more recent history.
GenXguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2022, 08:13 PM   #107
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by GenXguy View Post
Long term is fine if you're in your 30's or 40's. A lot of people here are older than that. The S&P 500 has gone around 18 years before it recovered at one point in the past when factoring in dividend reinvestment and adjusted for inflation. It was like a decade in doing so in more recent history.
The Triumph of the Optimists historical and multi-county analysis says that in the long run stocks always do better than bonds, but the long run may be as long as 40 years.

"While a country has only one past, there are many possible futures. The likely rewards from equity investment are worth having over the very long haul. Yet the risk of shortfall is always present, even over lengthy investment horizons. Investors should not assume that favorable equity returns can be guaranteed in the long term; nor should they assume that stocks are safe so long as they are retained for a holding period of at least twenty years." - http://csinvesting.org/wp-content/up..._optimists.pdf
Even clouds seem bright and breezy, 'Cause the livin' is free and easy, See the rat race in a new way, Like you're wakin' up to a new day (Dr. Tarr and Professor Fether lyrics, Alan Parsons Project, based on an EA Poe story)
daylatedollarshort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2022, 08:38 PM   #108
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Montecfo View Post
Well I think it would affect it at the rate debt rolls. Not $32T all at once.

And if you notice the long bond is not at a high rate, suggesting the market believes as I do that inflation will be tamed rather quickly.

But if Fed needs to raise rates a lot and quickly to tame inflation, it can.

And if we have learned anything over the past 2 years it is that lack of money to pay interest, while a problem for you and me, is not a major hurdle for government. Unfortunately.
It seems pretty likely that long bond rates are kept artificially low, but all of various central banks maneuver. The only people helped by higher T-bond rates are savers, and I think the 15-year war on savers that Fed has been waging has pretty much eliminated that group.

I am curious has anyone actually bought individual 10-30 year treasury bond with the intent to hold them to maturity in the last year or so? Or even a long-term Government ETF like TLT?

I honestly don't know anyone who has, nor why anyone would loan Uncle Sam for 30 years at below 3%?

However, it is very obvious why the central banks of US, Japan, most of Europe would benefit by keeping long-term interest rates low.
clifp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2022, 11:23 PM   #109
Recycles dryer sheets

As long as you believe you’ll still be vertical (not dead) in the next 15+ years, keep in mind that there’s never been a 15+ year return worse than 3.7%. https://www.thebalance.com/rolling-i...eturns-4061795

AA = 100% equities [emoji41]
RetiredAt49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2022, 09:26 AM   #110
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by clifp View Post
It seems pretty likely that long bond rates are kept artificially low, but all of various central banks maneuver. The only people helped by higher T-bond rates are savers, and I think the 15-year war on savers that Fed has been waging has pretty much eliminated that group.
Well we know the largest buyer, the Fed, is out of the market now and looking to unwind. Market knows this and rates have moved higher all along the yield curve.

So while I hear that argument, the market knows the Fed will be a net seller and has set rates where they are. You have to give that some weight in my opinion.

I think the market is reflecting that demographically, we are growing at 1-2 percent AND the likelihood of a rate dampening recession has grown.
Montecfo is offline   Reply With Quote
I'm down 11% YTD
Old 05-02-2022, 10:01 AM   #111
Full time employment: Posting here.

I'm down 11% YTD

When I allow it, this upsets me. I remember - my "high" number in my main stock account last year was 1.7mm. And it dipped to 1.5's-1.6's a few times and each time I said to myself - if it hits 1.7mm again I'm getting totally out. Ended the year at 1.735 mm - -- - and I was so proud of myself for the first time - not panic selling and sticking with it.

Frankly my "core" boring picks - stuff like Coke and Proctor are impressive!! Only when I veered from my discipline - stuff like "Matterport" and a little "Nvidia" did I feel the pain. I admit I did just a bit of market-timing. Sold ALL my Apple at $168. Sold ALL my Amazon at $2600. Sold ALL my Coke at $65.80

Well here I am back in the 1.5's. I did keep about $275K in reserve..........because I have, and continue to believe that paper assets are 50% real, and 50% scam - and trick is to wait for the scam to drop the disguise. I've started to use some of the $275k.....

*$10,000 Verizon 46.35

*$10,000 DVY. 123.40

*$20,000 DISNEY - 120.00 (and it dropped still)

Stuff I'm close on:

Apple if hits $150 -

QQQ if it hits $305

Coke: $62

All of the above are for the purpose of holding - 4 years at least.
MichealKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2022, 08:27 AM   #112

If it don’t end soon I’m afraid my wife might have a heart attack! I told her to just quit looking every day but no good!
Venturer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2022, 08:58 AM   #113

Buy some Bitcoin to distract with even more volatility
captain3d is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2022, 09:26 AM   #114
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by captain3d View Post

Bitcoin did not have a good April. It lost about 8 grand. Down over 15% in one month. Not so good.

The worst decisions are usually made in times of anger and impatience.
Chuckanut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2022, 10:19 AM   #115
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by captain3d View Post

I just found my old Monopoly game, and it's got all the parts. Can I use that money to buy Bitcoin?
Old 05-03-2022, 08:29 PM   #116

Quote:
Originally Posted by aja8888 View Post
I just found my old Monopoly game, and it's got all the parts. Can I use that money to buy Bitcoin?
I would advise against it. Monopoly is a product that actually has some value (in this case, providing entertainment). Can't say the same for bitcoin. Buying bitcoin using Monopoly money would be a bad use of Monopoly money in my book.
luckydude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2022, 08:45 PM   #117
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by luckydude View Post
I would advise against it. Monopoly is a product that actually has some value (in this case, providing entertainment). Can't say the same for bitcoin. Buying bitcoin using Monopoly money would be a bad use of Monopoly money in my book.
Old 05-03-2022, 09:48 PM   #118

Dow losing almost -1000 Friday .. when will it end? Do we get a V recovery?

Y’all keep on laughing and I’ll keep on buying limited-supply Bitcoin - and with U.S. dollars, too, which are produced out of thin air in an endless supply. We can check in ten years from now to see who was playing with Monopoly money.
Markola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2022, 09:57 PM   #119

Quote:
Originally Posted by Markola View Post
Y’all keep on laughing and I’ll keep on buying limited-supply Bitcoin - and with U.S. dollars, too, which are produced out of thin air in an endless supply. We can check in ten years from now to see who was playing with Monopoly money.
No offense. I wouldn't buy bitcoin with toilet paper but that's just my opinion. To each his own. Good luck and hope it works out for you.
luckydude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2022, 02:22 AM   #120
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by luckydude View Post
No offense. I wouldn't buy bitcoin with toilet paper but that's just my opinion. To each his own. Good luck and hope it works out for you.
If inflation keeps up, toilet paper may be worth more than than a dollar.