Join Early Retirement Today

Old 05-04-2022, 06:06 AM   #121
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Markola View Post
Y’all keep on laughing and I’ll keep on buying limited-supply Bitcoin - and with U.S. dollars, too, which are produced out of thin air in an endless supply. We can check in ten years from now to see who was playing with Monopoly money.
I see no problem with gambling, its totally legal in many parts of the country.

Investing is totally different than gambling though.

If you're going to buy tulip bulbs, buy them for your enjoyment, not as an investment.

Retired Jan 2012 at age 56
pb4uski is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-04-2022, 06:47 AM   #122
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by luckydude View Post
No offense. I wouldn't buy bitcoin with toilet paper but that's just my opinion. To each his own. Good luck and hope it works out for you.

Thanks. None taken. Good luck to you, too.
Markola is offline   Reply With Quote
Dow losing almost -1000 Friday .. when will it end? Do we get a V recovery?
Old 05-04-2022, 06:55 AM   #123

Dow losing almost -1000 Friday .. when will it end? Do we get a V recovery?

Quote:
Originally Posted by pb4uski View Post
I see no problem with gambling, its totally legal in many parts of the country.

Investing is totally different than gambling though.

If you're going to buy tulip bulbs, buy them for your enjoyment, not as an investment.

It’s the small, 3% high-risk component of my portfolio. The mods don’t like us talking about it though at present so, out of respect for the culture here, that’s all I’ll say.
Markola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2022, 07:39 AM   #124
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
It’s the small, 3% high-risk component of my portfolio. The mods don’t like us talking about it though at present so, out of respect for the culture here, that’s all I’ll say.
On the first part, that's good and who knows how it would work out... there may always be some greater fool out there. I guess the problem is that anyone reading your previous post wouldn't know the context that it is such a small percent of your total portfolio and might go big into it based on what you wrote. Really their probem, but context is important.

On the second part, I don't think the mods care at all, though I don't think crypto is generally very popular with most members.

Old 05-04-2022, 07:40 AM   #125
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
The mods don’t like us talking about it though at present so, out of respect for the culture here, that’s all I’ll say.
I think the crypto mod rule is at Bogleheads, not here. Not 100% sure though.
"At times the world can seem an unfriendly and sinister place, but believe us when we say there is much more good in it than bad. All you have to do is look hard enough, and what might seem to be a series of unfortunate events, may in fact be the first steps of a journey." Violet Baudelaire.
SecondCor521 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2022, 07:57 AM   #126
Administrator

Yes, discussions of cryptocurrency investments are, for the moment, no longer allowed. See the first and last post of this thread https://www.early-retirement.org/for...-a-112448.html
MichaelB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2022, 08:06 AM   #127
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelB View Post
Yes, discussions of cryptocurrency investments are, for the moment, no longer allowed. See the first and last post of this thread https://www.early-retirement.org/for...-a-112448.html
Thank you!! Somehow I missed that whole cryptocurrency thread (probably because I have always invested in conventional broad mutual funds instead) and I had NO idea of that new moderation policy.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2022, 09:07 AM   #128
Give me a forum ...

Getting back to the decline in the common stocks......

Assuming I don't have to completely use up the emergency funds that I keep aside for a bear market, I wonder about doing some buying if we do see the BEAR take a big chunk out of the market. I no longer consider myself in the accumulation phase but the temptation to buy low (or at least much lower) is tempting.

Anybody else out there who might be tempted?

The worst decisions are usually made in times of anger and impatience.
Chuckanut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2022, 09:48 AM   #129
Recycles dryer sheets

I will ride this one out like I did the last few. For me anyway, I still have one of those J*B's and am still planning to retire next year. But if the market is worse than expected, I could always wait and pile up some cushion. Currently WFH so its not a bad gig if I had to stick with it.
Old 05-04-2022, 09:54 AM   #130

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuckanut View Post
Getting back to the decline in the common stocks......

Assuming I don't have to completely use up the emergency funds that I keep aside for a bear market, I wonder about doing some buying if we do see the BEAR take a big chunk out of the market. I no longer consider myself in the accumulation phase but the temptation to buy low (or at least much lower) is tempting.

Anybody else out there who might be tempted?
Well I bought a small bit April 2020, so I'm hoping to have the fortitude to do so again if we reach bear territory.
I won't buy to a point where I would have less than 10 years spending in fixed though. (With inflation that 10 might only last 7, need 6+ years to hit SS max.)
Old 05-04-2022, 02:53 PM   #131

LOL. I can't win. I decided that after the interest rate hike today, I would buy in some more stock funds in my brokerage account and work retirement account. I kept checking in on the news. The S&P was down after the announcement. But then the Fed made some comments that sent the market way up.
GenXguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2022, 03:00 PM   #132
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
I stand corrected... I didn't know about the crypto ban.

Old 05-04-2022, 03:01 PM   #133
Give me a forum ...

I keep hearing that the market already prices in stuff in advance, but yet today the market shot up, even though everyone already expected the half point hike.
Like Mr. Bogle said........
Old 05-04-2022, 03:03 PM   #134
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by GenXguy View Post
Fed made some comments that sent the market way up.
Hot dog!!! Not that I plan to sell or buy, and I'm sorry for those who lost money from it, but still it's just nice to see the market bouncing back. Dow's up 932 points today. Who would have thought? It's still got some life in it, after all!

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2022, 03:03 PM   #135
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GenXguy View Post
LOL. I can't win. I decided that after the interest rate hike today, I would buy in some more stock funds in my brokerage account and work retirement account. I kept checking in on the news. The S&P was down after the announcement. But then the Fed made some comments that sent the market way up.
Don't worry you'll get a chance again �� I found it interesting that Powell basically telegraphed that there would be at least 2 more 50 basis point hikes but when it announced that " at this time no 75 point hike" the market soared.
Beststash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2022, 03:03 PM   #136
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by pb4uski View Post
I stand corrected... I didn't know about the crypto ban.
NP. Not a ban, just a respite.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dtail View Post
I keep hearing that the market already prices in stuff in advance, but yet today the market shot up, even though everyone already expected the half point hike.
The market definitely prices everything in advance. Stuff that will happen, stuff that may happen, and stuff that will never happen, all are reflected in market prices.
MichaelB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2022, 03:12 PM   #137
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
NP. Not a ban, just a respite.

The market definitely prices everything in advance. Stuff that will happen, stuff that may happen, and stuff that will never happen, all are reflected in market prices.
Clever, so basically nothing.
Old 05-04-2022, 03:20 PM   #138
Administrator

Quote:
I keep hearing that the market already prices in stuff in advance, but yet today the market shot up, even though everyone already expected the half point hike....
Quote:
“In the short run, the market is a voting machine but in the long run, it is a weighing machine.”

-- Benjamin Graham (as reported by Warren Buffet)
Old 05-04-2022, 03:48 PM   #139
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
There are those that say the market is "efficient". I have to say I disagree. Today provides more evidence.
Montecfo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2022, 04:42 PM   #140
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Everyone expected the half point hike. As noted by someone else, the market was concerned about the possibility of one or more 75 basis point hikes. In the press conference, Powell essentially said that's off the table for now. Thus a (strong) relief rally.

Powell also talked about soft landings, and the Fed being determined enough to kill inflation but smart enough and with a strong enough economy to (probably/hopefully) avoid a recession. Both of these ideas may have also mollified investors.
"At times the world can seem an unfriendly and sinister place, but believe us when we say there is much more good in it than bad. All you have to do is look hard enough, and what might seem to be a series of unfortunate events, may in fact be the first steps of a journey." Violet Baudelaire.
SecondCor521 is offline   Reply With Quote