Join Early Retirement Today

Druckenmiller sees flat stock market for a decade
Old 09-17-2022, 01:35 PM   #1
Full time employment: Posting here.

Druckenmiller sees flat stock market for a decade

I’m on the phone and my finger slipped before I had a chance to finish typing… including the title of this post ��. Anyway, the gist of his prediction is : the party, aka money printing and zero interest rates, is over. I don’t think it’s particularly pessimistic. He makes perfect sense and reminds us that there will always be great companies out there that will do well even in high interest rates environment. Tbh, I’d like all the debt ridden zombies to go under and away - especially the airlines ��.

https://fortune.com/2022/09/15/stanl...-central-bank/
tenant13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-17-2022, 02:21 PM   #2
Administrator

Since the thread title was a typo it was edited and completed.
MichaelB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2022, 07:05 PM   #3
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by tenant13 View Post
... Tbh, I’d like all the debt ridden zombies to go under and away - especially the airlines...
So how are you going to get from point A to point B?

Retired Jan 2012 at age 56
pb4uski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2022, 07:54 PM   #4
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by pb4uski View Post
Amtrak?
copyright1997reloaded is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2022, 07:57 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by copyright1997reloaded View Post
Amtrak?
LOL!
Old 09-17-2022, 08:16 PM   #6

Quote:
I’m on the phone and my finger slipped before I had a chance to finish typing… including the title of this post ��. Anyway, the gist of his prediction is : the party, aka money printing and zero interest rates, is over. I don’t think it’s particularly pessimistic. He makes perfect sense and reminds us that there will always be great companies out there that will do well even in high interest rates environment. Tbh, I’d like all the debt ridden zombies to go under and away - especially the airlines ��.

Another prediction among a thousand predictions. If the Ukraine war ends in a month or two, things will be different. If inflation goes down in a few months, the Fed will act differently. If there's a recession and deflation, zero interest rates could come back - never say never. Unless it's Nostradamus, take any 10 Year Prediction with a grain of salt.
Old 09-17-2022, 08:41 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyber888 View Post
Another prediction among a thousand predictions. If the Ukraine war ends in a month or two, things will be different. If inflation goes down in a few months, the Fed will act differently. If there's a recession and deflation, zero interest rates could come back - never say never. Unless it's Nostradamus, take any 10 Year Prediction with a grain of salt.
Couldn't agree more that you just don't know what will happen.

If the Ukraine war turns into another Afghanistan this could go on for years. If inflation gets further entrenched and starts heading up again, the Fed will continue to raise interest rates possibly much higher. If there's stagflation we'll be stuck with a recession and much higher interest rates. Much higher interest rates could stay for quite awhile.

And in 2 years the stock market could be down 50% just as easily as it could be hitting record highs.

I agree to take any prediction with a grain of salt.
Old 09-17-2022, 10:43 PM   #8
Give me a forum ...

Quote:

I'll take the over for $100, Alex.
"At times the world can seem an unfriendly and sinister place, but believe us when we say there is much more good in it than bad. All you have to do is look hard enough, and what might seem to be a series of unfortunate events, may in fact be the first steps of a journey." Violet Baudelaire.
SecondCor521 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2022, 01:59 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by pb4uski View Post
On the planes managed - hopefully - more competently by new airlines that will replace the ones we’ve been financing with our taxes for the last couple of years.
tenant13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2022, 04:34 AM   #10
Give me a forum ...

The article has a paywall. One prediction is worth as much as any other - not much.
Old 09-18-2022, 06:14 AM   #11
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
On the planes managed - hopefully - more competently by new airlines that will replace the ones we’ve been financing with our taxes for the last couple of years.
That's been done already many times. It always ends up the same. Airlines have been going BK ever since we have had airlines. It's a bad business to start with. Not only here in the U.S., but all over the world.
Old 09-18-2022, 07:20 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by aja8888 View Post
That's been done already many times. It always ends up the same. Airlines have been going BK ever since we have had airlines. It's a bad business to start with. Not only here in the U.S., but all over the world.
This.

My rule from long ago is to never invest in an airline, or for that matter any transportation company.

I must admit to forgetting my rule on a couple of occasions, usually to my detriment. (In fact, I just violated my rule by buying some Federal Express (FDX) at $158.20 on Friday. Chances are I will regret this.)
copyright1997reloaded is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2022, 08:12 AM   #13
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrRoy View Post
The article has a paywall. One prediction is worth as much as any other - not much.
I found a viewable link: https://finance.yahoo.com/news/legen...210012567.html

Quote:
Druckenmiller also gave a caveat for investors when it comes to his pessimistic outlook, saying that this is the most difficult time in history to make economic forecasts and that he has a history of a “bearish bias” that he has had to work around his whole career.

“I like darkness,” he said.
I know the final sentence is true.
target2019 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2022, 01:18 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by copyright1997reloaded View Post
Amtrak?
The free market of course. I'm sure Bezos or that Tesla guy will think of something we'll all think is great.
razztazz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2022, 03:02 PM   #15
Give me a forum ...

Druckenmiller has had many wrong predictions in the past.
Old 09-18-2022, 03:11 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by razztazz View Post
The free market of course. I'm sure Bezos or that Tesla guy will think of something we'll all think is great.
https://time.com/6203815/elon-musk-f...naire-visions/

"Musk*admitted*to his biographer Ashlee Vance that Hyperloop was all about trying to get legislators to cancel plans for high-speed rail in California—even though he had no plans to build it."

Fly or drive through tunnels traversing major fault lines. I'll stay in the air please.
Old 09-18-2022, 06:07 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dtail View Post
Druckenmiller has had many wrong predictions in the past.

Do you have a source for this?
A couple of my perma bear friends are all over this and giddy about his prediction!

“The most important quality for an investor is temperament, not intellect.”—Warren Buffett
FREE866 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2022, 07:50 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by 11522914 View Post
Couldn't agree more that you just don't know what will happen.

If the Ukraine war turns into another Afghanistan this could go on for years. If inflation gets further entrenched and starts heading up again, the Fed will continue to raise interest rates possibly much higher. If there's stagflation we'll be stuck with a recession and much higher interest rates. Much higher interest rates could stay for quite awhile.

And in 2 years the stock market could be down 50% just as easily as it could be hitting record highs.

I agree to take any prediction with a grain of salt.
And the market could be up 1000% as easily as you say Booh even if there was a Afghan like war. We had an Afghan war for years and the US stock market prospered 1000%
Old 09-18-2022, 08:15 PM   #19
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyber888 View Post
And the market could be up 1000% as easily as you say Booh even if there was a Afghan like war. We had an Afghan war for years and the US stock market prospered 1000%
War is good for this country. We manufacture a great deal of military hardware.
Old 09-20-2022, 07:00 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by aja8888 View Post
War is good for this country. We manufacture a great deal of military hardware.

Correct. War is a business that contributes to the US companies’ earnings in the S&P500. Nobody likes war, but the industrial military complex is part of the US economy.