Duck club investment?

ecowtent

Recycles dryer sheets
We are looking for alternatives as part of our investment allocation. My husband wants to invest in a duck club. Is there ever a time that this works out as an investment choice? He wanted to invest in gold before the big run, but I was too nervous.

if you are pooling with others to actually buy property, go for it if you like hunting

I wouldn't do it otherwise

It is a pooled investment club, BUT the cost is $60K. However it is on great location and has lodging and a keeper.

I better ask for a photo of the keeper. I just pictured a chubby old guy...

60 grand is a lot of scratch for a lease - how many guns/guests?

I dunno. How liquid is this investment, in case you want out? If one wants to hunt, is there another way?

I like duck, but as in French duck confit, or roasted as in Peking duck. It's less work and a lot cheaper.

On the other hand, as Redduck pointed out, there might be other benefits that I am ignorant of. He should know, being a duck himself.

Last edited:
It is a pooled investment club, BUT the cost is $60K. However it is on great location and has lodging and a keeper.

If this represents a small part of your net liquid wealth then it doesn't matter much. Otherwise, I am guessing it is an illiquid high risk "investment".

Aren't you a bit worried about that gun Redduck?

Thanks for your concern Lsbcal, but on several occasions she mentioned that she thinks I am a complete pig. So, I guess I lucked out here.

If you folks love ducks great. For an investment I personally would not, I like ducks and all, but the chance of breaking even is nill.

There's folks who study nature/hunting investments and buy it. I wouldn't go head to head for an investment.

However if it's a cause for you and you're OK with a loss, or ducks make you smile(they make me smile) carry on.

I've usually got between a dozen and a couple hundred ducks and geese on the pond in back of my house. And you can usually get close enough to them to hit them with a 4 iron. I'll let your husband hunt there for a mere $30K, any time he wants.

Is the investment the club facilities, or is that just a place to meet to plan pooled investment strategies?

I belong to an 80-member boat club (marina) and here's how the math worked out for me:

The cost of a membership, with rights to use one slip, plus annual dues, was about the same cost as renting a slip for 10 years.

Assuming I keep a boat in a slip, one way or another, for at least 10 years, AND assuming in 10 years I can sell the membership for the same price, adjusted for inflation, I'm that much ahead. Beyond that it's all up-side.

I guess I still don't know what a duck club is, so I don't know if the same logic applies.

Back
Top Bottom