EM today is up, what's going on?

LOL!

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
Emerging markets equities are up at the moment about 2% and I cannot find any news stories to tell me why. Anybody got a comment? Thanks!

Is it just residual from Brent crude's price movement yesterday though there is some retracement today? But ETFs are still trending up here in the afternoon trading.

(US stocks are doing nothing special today, so out of synch with EM.)

Last edited:
Easy. I sold my EM position last week. ;--)

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum

Put in an order for EM. QTY:All.
;)
I was thinking today would be a good day to sell based on market psychology, but I couldn't figure out the psychology, so I did nothing. One of my EM ETFs is up 38% since buying in January.

Darn, my covered calls are getting to be "in the money", and it's still another month to expiry. Somebody is going to get my shares cheap.

I was thinking today would be a good day to sell based on market psychology, but I couldn't figure out the psychology, so I did nothing. One of my EM ETFs is up 38% since buying in January.

I call this year's leg up, "emergence to the mean."

And here I am waiting to put in my second batch of EM. Guess that won't happen.

Action or inaction, always regrets ..

It might the USD moving about. USD dropped 1% vs. EUR.
Yes, it could be that combined with the change in the price of Brent crude when US markets were closed.

And 3 days later, all the gains have gone away.

So, Totoro, are you happy now? :)

BTW, I'm not buying now.

As raw material suppliers, EM is strongly driven by the pricing for energy and commodities, plus the value of the USD, since much of the former is priced in USD. Those variables have been moving in favor of EM in recent months, and oil was up yesterday.

I lost more with the stock drop than I gained from the option premium. Ideally, the stock should just advance to right below the strike price of my covered call. This way, I can still have my cake and eat it too. This works out a few times.

The above said, the gain from the option premium lessens the pain of the market drop, if only a little bit. It's still better than nothing.

And 3 days later, all the gains have gone away.

So, Totoro, are you happy now? :)

BTW, I'm not buying now.

Need an extra 8% drop to approach the cost of my first batch, so keep em coming :)

Been buying EM funds on dips for last 3 years. Can not complain (so far) :)

FPMAX: 18.9% YTD and 8.8% TR
SCHE: 24.2% YTD and 16.1% TR

Bought my second batch of EM funds today. Feel free to emerge now, dear market.

I'm done for a while now.

Since the start of this thread on 9/6, VWO (Vanguard EM ETF) is down 7%, while the S&P is up 1%.

I have enough EM, so have not bought any for a while. I did however sell some covered calls which expired worthless. The premium from these calls lessens the pain of losing.

Since crude oil appears to be up more than 7% today, I will be pretty pissed if my EM holdings don't have a very nice day.

Pissed enough to sell them all? :)

Well, I am pissed, but if they had popped I would've sold quite a bit of them.

EM goes down even more today. I am sad. These stinky international and EM stocks and ETFs subtract out a lot from the gains of good US stocks that I have. Perhaps I should have listened to Bogle.

Back
Top Bottom