Join Early Retirement Today

Old 09-19-2017, 04:54 AM   #21
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by dallas27 View Post
EM is the majority of the world population, the majority of all land, and only 20% of modern finance. They default less than develop market and offer higher yields, and can increase productivity simply by copying other countries without the investment to innovate new things. Why would anyone not be heavy in emerging?
Because emerging markets are not the same as emerging markets companies.

Which are less mature, stable, more prone to corruption, .. while the established players all are in the emerging markets as well.

I'm also puzzled by your 'default less'. Argentina, Zimbabwe, Nigeria, Venezuela, Russia, Ukraine, .. the list is quite long vs. non-emerging (basically, only Greece). Some of these countries defaulted multiple times. Now I know countries != emerging market companies, but surviving in such an environment is very challenging. Never mind that copying isn't always an option. Can't copy a normal telco if you don't have infrastructure, as a simplified example.
Totoro is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-19-2017, 07:56 AM   #22
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Good job, @Totoro. I actually like your theory better than mine (Post #20)

But regardless of how the EM companies are priced, the bottom line is the same. The players in the market have voted with their money and the result is probably pretty close to the "real" value of the EM market. So the upside has been priced in, the downside has been priced in, and people who actually know the details about the individual companies have made their pricing decisions. There is unlikely to be a golden goose here. It's just another sector with its own opportunities and risks. Caveat emptor.
OldShooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2017, 11:17 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Totoro View Post
Because emerging markets are not the same as emerging markets companies.

Which are less mature, stable, more prone to corruption, .. while the established players all are in the emerging markets as well.

I'm also puzzled by your 'default less'. Argentina, Zimbabwe, Nigeria, Venezuela, Russia, Ukraine, .. the list is quite long vs. non-emerging (basically, only Greece). Some of these countries defaulted multiple times. Now I know countries != emerging market companies, but surviving in such an environment is very challenging. Never mind that copying isn't always an option. Can't copy a normal telco if you don't have infrastructure, as a simplified example.

At almost all ratings levels, corp EM bonds have lower default rates than US due to rating agencies treating sovereign ratings as an artificial ceiling for corps no matter how strong the financials.
dallas27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2017, 05:47 AM   #24

Well, we were discussing equities, no?

Bonds: While an individual EM company may be more solid in contrast to its equally rated US company, the whole point is that the EM company has a systemic tail risk which is greater than the US company.

Even the most solid company can quickly tank when its geographical surroundings collapse. Ukraine, Greece, Venezuale, Argentina: casualties aplenty. In a non-crisis year this means indeed on average these companies should perform better. Until they don't and implode. It's how the rating system works.

If you are arguing rating agencies are imperfect, no-one is going to disagree with you here I believe. To what extent markets haven't recognized tail risks in the actual yields (both bonds and equities) and may underestimate or overestimate certain risks, that's yet another discussion.

On the whole, I believe indeed EM, both equities and bonds, are structurally somewhat cheaper than they should be. The added volatility though is a big trade-off. It's why I went in EM a bit but not all-in myself (+10%) last year, although I'm reconsidering this with the recent run-up.

All in all, buying Unilever is I think likely as good as a trade-off between safety & returns as the somewhat EM company Carver (Korea) that just got bought by them. Of course, if I really knew the answers ...
Totoro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2017, 06:41 AM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Totoro View Post
Well, we were discussing equities, no?

Bonds: While an individual EM company may be more solid in contrast to its equally rated US company, the whole point is that the EM company has a systemic tail risk which is greater than the US company.

Even the most solid company can quickly tank when its geographical surroundings collapse. Ukraine, Greece, Venezuale, Argentina: casualties aplenty. In a non-crisis year this means indeed on average these companies should perform better. Until they don't and implode. It's how the rating system works.

If you are arguing rating agencies are imperfect, no-one is going to disagree with you here I believe. To what extent markets haven't recognized tail risks in the actual yields (both bonds and equities) and may underestimate or overestimate certain risks, that's yet another discussion.

On the whole, I believe indeed EM, both equities and bonds, are structurally somewhat cheaper than they should be. The added volatility though is a big trade-off. It's why I went in EM a bit but not all-in myself (+10%) last year, although I'm reconsidering this with the recent run-up.

All in all, buying Unilever is I think likely as good as a trade-off between safety & returns as the somewhat EM company Carver (Korea) that just got bought by them. Of course, if I really knew the answers ...

I am simply calling out superior return over risk statistics, with a play on inevitable productivity convergence. EM is so large and pays so well that if someone does have money in EM it just tells me they can't see the numbers.
dallas27 is offline   Reply With Quote