Ever had a ten-bagger?

Grizz

Recycles dryer sheets
Peter Lynch coined the term ten-bagger. It is simply a stock that increases to 10X the price it was purchased at.

Here's an interesting thought....If you initially invested $1000 and had 3 consecutive ten-baggers, you'd have $1 million.

I've kept a small portion of my portfolio in my "swing for the fences" account for about 2 yrs now, and the best that I've done so far on one stock is a 218% gain in 5 weeks. (TIM on the TSX) I'm holding out for my first ten-bagger and I'll either ride into the sky or into the dirt, so I still haven't sold although I'm now at 176% on that same stock. Incidentally anything that I pick has good volume and liquidity so this is not some penny stock that you can't get rid of.

Any of you had a ten-bagger? How long did it take from the time you bought? Was it a straight up ride or more of a roller coaster? Did you jump in and out of the stock on the way up? Did you re-invest the windfall or go on a spending spree?

The close I have had is OMM which was up 707% when someone bought out the company. It could have been a 10 bagger.

INTC Intel is approaching 50 bagger for some shares for me and 10x for many. AMAT was 7x in the 90s for me, and IPO (I don't even remember the names) was 4x in 4 days.

Any of you had a ten-bagger? How long did it take from the time you bought? Was it a straight up ride or more of a roller coaster? Did you jump in and out of the stock on the way up? Did you re-invest the windfall or go on a spending spree?
I've had several but they don't really count in this competition. I sold every one of them when they became two-baggers.

The worst case was doubling our money on Apple Computer in a few months and then leaving in the low $20s. We bought at $11 and sold the majority at $16. However most have doubled over the course of 1-2 years and then been left behind when they settled down, as we liquidated them in search of the next hot stock.

Definitely a roller coaster, but we thought we were hopping off in the flats to avoid subsequent dips.

Everything was reinvested. We had one mutual fund in the late 90s go stupid high so we sold it to pay off a mortgage, but everything went back into the market in the early 2000s.

I had several 10 baggers on bonds bought during the Penn Central Bankruptcy. I have one 10 bagger buying stock exiting bankruptcy-CVA. I have one about 9.5 currently-- DMLP, formerly DHULZ. The only reason I had the required patience on these two latter is that my basis was so low I never wanted to pay the tax. They bounced up and down, and I was tempted to sell several times before reaching 10x. In fact, I did sell some of each-enough that I could definitely increase my oysters and champagne budget had I continued to hold all of it. In fact, I could increase every aspect of my budget.

I have an 8-B on a gold stock that has just been bought by Newmont.

I think I was too impatient to wait for 10x in other stocks that have become 10 baggers for some other investors. Bankruptcy gives you a cheap start, and your mindset is waiting for the work-out, rather than trading, so you are more likely to get the huge payoffs.

Overall, by far the best way for an outsider to get seriously OK in the securities markets is to do careful research, then hold on. Hard to do sometimes.

Ha

Had 'em both in equities and options. Have a 23-bagger in one security at the moment.

I see lots of cheap stuff right now, but in pedestrian businesses like banking and insurance. These things will likely offer 20+% annual returns for several years, but probably don't have the potential for 10-bagger status.

You are thinking small. I bought AAPL in 1997 at split adjusted ~ $4. Traded in/out, but I think I have held some the whole time. Closed at 186 last night.

46 bagger.

Not that it does me any good going forward. It was a totally contrarian move in a stock that I felt was completely misunderstood at the time. Everyone I knew that had an opinion said they were going bankrupt, but they didn't understand that they still had $1B in the bank and lots of loyal customers just waiting for a new product. The iMac, while not really such a great value, at least fit a market space that Apple had ignored for years, so there was pent up demand from Apple users that were reluctant to switch to Windows.

The rest, as they say, is history.

I'm unlikely to ever find myself in that position again.

I wouldn't suggest that you base your FIRE plans on finding 10 baggers.

-ERD50

I had a few 10 baggers during the dot com era, and one 100 bagger with options. Unfortunately, I got greedy and also got some negative 10 and 100 baggers. In the end it was a wash. Now I just want my 7% solution.

Yeah, it was MSFT, and I sold when I hit 1500 percent profit, missing the next several thousand percent of upside.........:(

I had stock options in a ten bagger, my best exercise was 25X.

I'm pretty sure I held DELL through a 10X too.

I've had a couple of negative 10 baggers too.

Peter Lynch coined the term ten-bagger. It is simply a stock that increases to 10X the price it was purchased at.

Several in my investment club, where we reinvest all dividends and periodically adjust our positions:

AFLAC -- first purchased 9/82, average cost per share $3.094 -- +1749%

GE -- first purchased 6/95, average cost per share 12.593 -- +234%

Pepsico -- first purchased 12/87, average cost per share $16.067 -- +359%

Pfizer -- first purchased 12/86, average cost per share $6.702 -- +272%

Synovus -- first purchased 4/92, average cost per share $8.204 -- +251%

uhhh....how about a REVERSE ten bagger??...you know....those that are only worth one tenth of what we bought 'em for.....kinda like where my bank stocks are headed :bat: ....uhhh but that wouldn't be braggin' now would it.....now just where is that "OMG looks like I RE at the worst possible time" post?? :angel: :angel:

uhhh....how about a REVERSE ten bagger??...you know....those that are only worth one tenth of what we bought 'em for.....kinda like where my bank stocks are headed :bat: ....uhhh but that wouldn't be braggin' now would it.....now just where is that "OMG looks like I RE at the worst possible time" post?? :angel: :angel:

Too easy:

MCI
CMGI
LU

A couple other that I have repressed in my memory.............

Hitachi 5 in/59 out
Jones Soda .88 in/9.15 out
American Movil - 5 in/ holding at 66
Apple - 13 in/ .75 out at 78 still holding the .25

Future prospects:
Antrim Energy - 1.30 in/ 6.17
March Resources - .18 in/ .65
Alum.Co. China - 31 in/ 76
China Mobile - 42 in/ 96

Damn I never buy enough of these...

Bought VLO in 401K from 1982 to 2006, cost basis of total account is about 7% of current value. Plan to NUA when separation from company service is complete. That one stock alone enabled DH and I to retire early. ;)
2fer

Bought VLO in 401K from 1982 to 2006, cost basis of total account is about 7% of current value. Plan to NUA when separation from company service is complete. That one stock alone enabled DH and I to retire early. ;)
2fer

Isn't it amazing that you can get rich owning a refiner? Got to love America!

Ha

GLW bought in 2002 @$2.02.
Was up to 14 bagger,
now @23.20, that makes it an 11 bagger.

Have some mutual funds that have tripled in a couple years time, don't expect that to continue, though.

I bought TNH around $20 in August of '06, stopped out finally at $133 in July of this year.
Bought AMR a few years ago at $2.35, sold some along the way, but finally got out completely (unfortunately) at $25.
Bought HLS at .33. Sold at $20. I guess that was my record.
Oh yeah, bought HTSF as a secondary at .25. Sold at an average of $4.62

Back
Top Bottom