Join Early Retirement Today

Extreme fear now
Old 03-02-2022, 09:28 AM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Extreme fear now

I've been a fan of CNN's Fear & Greed index: https://money.cnn.com/data/fear-and-greed/. It uses indicators such as the VIX (see their explanation).

Of course, it is not predictive. But it nicely shows market sentiment. Currently it is showing "extreme fear". Such episodes in recent years have not lasted long. That is pretty easy to understand given the state of my stock portfolio . But I'm not doing anything, just watching as I have my max stock allocation.

Lsbcal is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-02-2022, 09:30 AM   #2
Give me a forum ...

Fear is a good buy signal.
Montecfo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2022, 09:35 AM   #3
Give me a forum ...

I bet they use this graphic in the ad sales pitch deck at CNN.
Old 03-02-2022, 09:45 AM   #4
Give me a forum ...

Note this is an apolitical thread. Also does not consider Boglehead dogma as this is in the "Active investing ..." part of the ER site.
Old 03-02-2022, 10:06 AM   #5
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Montecfo View Post
Fear is a good buy signal.
I think the Feds are just beginning QE. I'm not going to fight the Feds.

I'm pretty comfortable with a 50/50 portfolio, but if valuations come down I would like to move more into stocks and leave them there to grow for donations and heirs.
Helen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2022, 10:12 AM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Helen View Post
I think the Feds are just beginning QE. I'm not going to fight the Feds.

I'm pretty comfortable with a 50/50 portfolio, but if valuations come down I would like to move more into stocks and leave them there to grow for donations and heirs.
My energy stocks and ETFs bought mid last year have kept me whole. I'll add to my S&P ETF when there is more blood in the streets. I'm about 40 % equities right now and will stay at that level, or less going forward. I'm keeping an eye on what the FED does to "attempt" to curb inflation.
Old 03-02-2022, 10:35 AM   #7

What fear? the market has been up like a rocket for... oh..., no reason, most of the past several days. War, inflation, more inflation caused by war, what fear?
razztazz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2022, 10:44 AM   #8
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by razztazz View Post
What fear? the market has been up like a rocket for... oh..., no reason, most of the past several days. War, inflation, more inflation caused by war, what fear?
Funny, I had to check on your contention that the market has been up. That is indeed true for the last 5 sessions overall. And I'm glad of that. But year to date not so good unfortunately, down about -8% for the SP500.
Old 03-02-2022, 11:13 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lsbcal View Post
Funny, I had to check on your contention that the market has been up. That is indeed true for the last 5 sessions overall. And I'm glad of that. But year to date not so good unfortunately, down about -8% for the SP500.
If it keeps up this "unseemly" trend it'll make up the 8% fast. But this might also be-----

1) your basic average over-reaction.

2) "Getting it while it's hot." type volatility. A week or two from now we'll be lower again.

3) A potential break in the clouds. The war in question won't get worse, The West is united. Vlad will be offered some way to save face while he goes home. IOW A nice safe landing in spite of all the trouble. Add to that people have noticed that war can be good for business. This of course is a gamble like most investments are.
4) People think #3 is happening but Vlad takes it personally and doubles/triples down. Then it really starts hitting the fan. Then lower stock markets.

I don't know what all of this does to the pre-existing underlying market environment. e.g. The inflation with pending rate increases we were all talking about. Overvaluations that didn't seem interested in coming down. 30 trillion in national debt. They were all there 3 weeks ago. Three months ago. Is the Urkraine thing making it worse in the long run? Or are the potentialities of war making those things not so important anymore?
Old 03-02-2022, 12:42 PM   #10
Give me a forum ...

Oh my gosh! Extreme Fear!

Buy, buy, buy...

PS. I would buy if my stock AA is not already at more than 74%. Back in Dec 2021, I lowered my stock AA to the mid 60%. It has been slowly raised up via put options getting assigned.

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
NW-Bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2022, 02:25 PM   #11

I was at local Fido office today, transferring late DM's assets. I asked the rep, how are people reacting to the recent volatility, and he said about 80% are holding pat and riding it out. The other 20%, he said have different goals, locking in what they have because they're close to the magic number, or are scared to death, not in that order.
Old 03-02-2022, 03:57 PM   #12
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lsbcal View Post
But over the last year it is good fortunately. SP500 is up nearly 15% over the last 12 months.
oldtimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2022, 04:12 PM   #13

The fear will get worse as the S&P 500 tumbles back down after short term bumps up.
GenXguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2022, 06:08 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by GenXguy View Post
The fear will get worse as the S&P 500 tumbles back down after short term bumps up.
Yes, I find it hard to believe that at this early stage "the market" or anybody else can forecast such happy times ahead. S&P up 80, DJIA up ~600 today. So what happened to all the problems we had pre-Ukraine...?
Old 03-02-2022, 06:15 PM   #15
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Yes, I find it hard to believe that at this early stage "the market" or anybody else can forecast such happy times ahead. S&P up 80, DJIA up ~600 today. So what happened to all the problems we had pre-Urkraine...?

Those problems are still there.

That's why I sold 21 out-of-the-money covered call contracts today, with expiry next Friday 3/11.

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
NW-Bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2022, 06:17 PM   #16
Give me a forum ...

This fear/greed index changes at the drop of a hat.
Old 03-02-2022, 06:29 PM   #17
Give me a forum ...

I'm not afraid -
RobbieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2022, 06:38 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dtail View Post
This fear/greed index changes at the drop of a hat.

Yes, of all those so-called "indicators" and "contrarian indicators" Fear vs Greed is the worst. I don't understand what people see in the VIX either. Volatility? I've never seen how anyone could make a call using that information.
Old 03-02-2022, 08:25 PM   #19
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Yes, of all those so-called "indicators" and "contrarian indicators" Fear vs Greed is the worst. I don't understand what people see in the VIX either. Volatility? I've never seen how anyone could make a call using that information.
I think of this as the raw emotions of the crowds. Very human. Not predictive except maybe at extremes. Of course, the most extreme points are only known in the rear view mirror.

I only know my own feelings which swing quite wildly. Not that I act on them but many do. I like to think I'm very analytical but cannot get completely away from my emotional side.
Old 03-02-2022, 08:38 PM   #20

Looking back at what happened yesterday, or this morning even...is too late to have acted upon.

For instance DW had almost $2MM out of the market when the "fear" of a certain invasion was inevitable. I bought him back in this morning just about at the open on that small dip. Had I waited until this afternoon, when the left coast had woke up and started logging into the accounts...I woulda missed it. (It being the gains).

I actually am the opposite of afraid. I look forward to the next drop so I can buy myself back in, but I buy in every week so its kind of irrelevant...how MUCH I buy is a better question.

I usually notice that after the VIX Is at a high, the market has already dropped faster then I could have sold.