Join Early Retirement Today

Feeling greedy?
Old 11-04-2021, 04:35 PM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Feeling greedy?

Here is the CNN fear/greed index:

Link with some explanation: https://money.cnn.com/data/fear-and-greed/

Looking at that graph, it looks like the greed hangs around for a few months after hitting highs in the current range.
Lsbcal is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-04-2021, 07:57 PM   #2
Recycles dryer sheets

Everyone, their uncle, aunt, niece, nephew, their uber driver, bell man, barber, joe the plumber, Reddit WSB crowd, and everyone in between is long, very long on tech stocks. And lot of people are using Margin on steroids. Many more now compared to even dot com bubble.

Look no further than TSLA, NVDA, Bitcoin to see whats going on. People are bidding up .. for one reason and one reason only. TSLA will soon be $3T company (don't ask on what fundamentals), NVDA will be $1T company and BTC will be $1million soon.

Markets can remain irrational longer than you can remain sane (I tweaked the last part).

Federal Reserve has been throwing Gasoline at fire (with near zero percent interest rates) for several years now.
yhoomajor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2021, 08:23 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by yhoomajor View Post
Everyone, their uncle, aunt, niece, nephew, their uber driver, bell man, barber, joe the plumber, Reddit WSB crowd, and everyone in between is long, very long on tech stocks. And lot of people are using Margin on steroids. Many more now compared to even dot com bubble.

Look no further than TSLA, NVDA, Bitcoin to see whats going on. People are bidding up .. for one reason and one reason only. TSLA will soon be $3T company (don't ask on what fundamentals), NVDA will be $1T company and BTC will be $1million soon.

Markets can remain irrational longer than you can remain sane (I tweaked the last part).

Federal Reserve has been throwing Gasoline at fire (with near zero percent interest rates) for several years now.
Yes, we are all going to be billionaires!
Old 11-04-2021, 08:53 PM   #4
Give me a forum ...

I tried to overcome greed and kept selling OTM call options on my semiconductor stocks. The shares kept rising, and I kept selling more at higher and higher strike prices.

And the shares kept going up. So many options got deep in the money, and go expired tomorrow. I am looking at having to sell more than $200K worth of semiconductor stocks. And that's on top of what I already sold the last few weeks by option assignment. Altogether, tomorrow, what I get is about $30K below current market values.

Oh well, I still made good money on these shares, though not as much as I could have if I timed the market better. I will have to see what my new stock AA is, and decide what to do if I want to bring my stock AA back up. Most likely, I will start to sell more OTM puts than calls.

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
NW-Bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Hyper Greed
Old 11-05-2021, 07:31 AM   #5
Dryer sheet wannabe

Hyper Greed

Perhaps the ultimate example of greed running rampant: Have any of you been pitched on the HyperFund?
donethat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2021, 11:26 AM   #6
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by donethat View Post
Perhaps the ultimate example of greed running rampant: Have any of you been pitched on the HyperFund?
No, what’s the HyperFund? I’ll bite.
Luvtoride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2021, 11:49 AM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luvtoride View Post
https://thehyperfund.com/

Quote:
THE STRONGEST ROCKET
IN BLOCKCHAIN FINANCE
Old 11-06-2021, 02:26 PM   #8
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by aja8888 View Post
Yes, we are all going to be billionaires!
Yes! But it will cost a wheel barrel full of money to buy that loaf of bread.
Steeler75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2021, 02:34 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steeler75 View Post
Yes! But it will cost a wheel barrel full of money to buy that loaf of bread.
Nothing new.
Attached Images
File Type: png Screen Shot 2021-11-06 at 4.33.22 PM.png (1.10 MB, 66 views)
Old 11-06-2021, 02:43 PM   #10

They were singing "Happy Days are here again" (1929)
homestead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2021, 03:02 PM   #11
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by homestead View Post
They were singing "Happy Days are here again" (1929)
You are right, that was originated in 1929. It was Franklin Roosevelt's campaign theme song in 1932. Not happy days then.
Old 11-07-2021, 05:04 AM   #12
Dryer sheet wannabe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luvtoride View Post
You can google it and get a wealth of information. From my perspective it appears to be a classic ponzi scheme with elements of multilevel marketing all wrapped up in a huge amount of crypto/blockchain/new age jargon. Or maybe we really all can be billionaires by simply making a cash (actually tether tokens) "investment" of $1000 and waiting 6or7 years to cash out.
donethat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2021, 01:56 PM   #13
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by donethat View Post
You can google it and get a wealth of information. From my perspective it appears to be a classic ponzi scheme with elements of multilevel marketing all wrapped up in a huge amount of crypto/blockchain/new age jargon. Or maybe we really all can be billionaires by simply making a cash (actually tether tokens) "investment" of $1000 and waiting 6or7 years to cash out.
Ah, just load up on Squid coin........Oh wait, it went from $2,000+ to $0.000007 in a matter of seconds......woops!

(sure hope no one here is in the group of 40,000+ people who still own the coin)
Old 11-07-2021, 07:57 PM   #14
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by aja8888 View Post
Ah, just load up on Squid coin........Oh wait, it went from $2,000+ to $0.000007 in a matter of seconds......woops!

(sure hope no one here is in the group of 40,000+ people who still own the coin)
It will come back. At this point, you have to "hodl" anyway, as there's probably no way to trade it, even at $0.000007.

By the way, I never heard about Squid coin, and just looked it up now.

See this: https://www.wired.com/story/squid-ga...n-crypto-scam/

Quote:
Hartford was an experienced crypto trader, having been involved in the world since 2017...

“I wanted to get in as soon as possible,” he says. He bought $300 worth of Squid Game coin when each was worth around 90 cents, sat back, and watched...

When Hartford woke up the next morning, the Squid Game coin had hit $5. His $300 had ballooned into more than $1,660. He was overjoyed.

But something weird was happening. On the morning of October 29, when he searched the $SQUID hashtag on Twitter, he saw people tweeting that they couldn’t sell their holdings. Others corrected those struggling to cash out, explaining they needed to buy marbles, which were obtained through a pay-to-play game organized by the project’s owners, in order to sell...

Hartford decided to buy $50 in marbles on October 31 as an experiment to see if there was a way to get his money out. Hartford’s initial $300 investment was worth $200,000 as the Squid Game coin rose to $600 per token. It'd eventually rise to a peak of $2,861, which would make Hartford just short of $1 million. In theory. In reality, the whole thing was a scam...

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
Old 11-07-2021, 08:23 PM   #15

CNN Business are measuring stock and bond indices and labelling their interpretation as "greed" and "fear" indices. I find the whole idea of this a bit creepy. Greed and fear are not opposites. Also, to ascribe an "emotion" to a group of behaviors when emotions are individually experienced bother me for some reason. I guess they're just filling their 24-hour news cycle.
EastWest Gal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2021, 07:35 AM   #16
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by EastWest Gal View Post
CNN Business are measuring stock and bond indices and labelling their interpretation as "greed" and "fear" indices. I find the whole idea of this a bit creepy. Greed and fear are not opposites. Also, to ascribe an "emotion" to a group of behaviors when emotions are individually experienced bother me for some reason. I guess they're just filling their 24-hour news cycle.
The CNN numbers are based on a set of market stats:

Quote:
•Stock Price Momentum: The S&P 500 (SPX) versus its 125-day moving average

•Stock Price Strength: The number of stocks hitting 52-week highs and lows on the New York Stock Exchange

•Stock Price Breadth: The volume of shares trading in stocks on the rise versus those declining.

•Put and Call Options: The put/call ratio, which compares the trading volume of bullish call options relative to the trading volume of bearish put options

•Junk Bond Demand: The spread between yields on investment grade bonds and junk bonds

•Market Volatility: The VIX (VIX), which measures volatility

•Safe Haven Demand: The difference in returns for stocks versus Treasuries
I would not take this too seriously but to me it kind of mirrors the market news. Is it a leading or coincident indicator? Doesn't take a genius to recognize the market is very happy right now. Groups of humans are a very complex subject.

Here is the link to some more description:
https://money.cnn.com/investing/abou...ool/index.html
Old 11-08-2021, 10:40 AM   #17
Give me a forum ...

I have always had some contrarian blood in me, and am always leery of following the crowd.

This "greed/fear index" is supposedly a measure of what the crowd is thinking and doing. Whether it is accurate or what you can do with it is a matter of personal opinion.

Old 11-08-2021, 01:25 PM   #18

It seems the terms should be “investor confidence” and “investor cautiousness” and not emotionally laden terms like greed and fear. Particularly since greed is one of the seven deadly sins.
EastWest Gal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2021, 04:15 PM   #19
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by EastWest Gal View Post
It seems the terms should be “investor confidence” and “investor cautiousness” and not emotionally laden terms like greed and fear. Particularly since greed is one of the seven deadly sins.
The rational part of me agrees with you. But then there is that emotional part of me ...
Old 11-08-2021, 07:02 PM   #20
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lsbcal View Post
The CNN numbers are based on a set of market stats:

I would not take this too seriously but to me it kind of mirrors the market news. Is it a leading or coincident indicator? Doesn't take a genius to recognize the market is very happy right now. Groups of humans are a very complex subject.

Here is the link to some more description:
https://money.cnn.com/investing/abou...ool/index.html
It was just deep in the fear section within the last 2 months. A grain of salt for me.