Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Fisher Investments
Old 01-25-2019, 08:45 PM   #1
Confused about dryer sheets

Fisher Investments

Does anyone here have any experience with this investment group ? As I understand their methodology, they invest in single stocks and bonds vs mutual funds based on a personalized strategy.

thank you
Nazoomer
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-25-2019, 08:59 PM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

It's been mentioned many times. If you use the search tool, you'll find several threads with Fisher in the title. Here is one of the longer ones.
http://www.early-retirement.org/foru...nts-81021.html

At the very bottom you will see a few more of the threads with Fisher in the title.
Old 01-25-2019, 09:00 PM   #3
Give me a forum ...

Run from them like other high pressure high fee charge other investment firms.
Old 01-25-2019, 10:06 PM   #4
Give me a forum ...

Location: Spending the Kids Inheritance and living in Chicago
they must charge high fees, as they mail me lots and lots of advertisements in large envelopes.
Old 01-26-2019, 04:47 AM   #5
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Run from them like other high pressure high fee charge other investment firms.
Run away at top speed. Do not allow anyone to charge a % of assets.
Old 01-26-2019, 05:03 AM   #6
Recycles dryer sheets

I got a large unsolicited envelope this week from Ken Fisher. I was painting and used it to catch the drips under my paint can. Thanks Ken!
Old 01-26-2019, 07:53 AM   #7
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by nazoomer View Post
Does anyone here have any experience with this investment group ? As I understand their methodology, they invest in single stocks and bonds vs mutual funds based on a personalized strategy.

thank you
Nazoomer
I'm pretty sure their "personalized strategy" goes something like: "How can we make money for Ken Fisher".

Do a little googling on "active versus passive investing", and you'll find that the 'strategies fail ~ 85% of the time, and you can't pick the 15% in advance.

Just DIY, all you need to do is determine an asset allocation you are comfortable with (and don't sweat it, anything from ~40/60 ~ 90/10 is reasonable for most people), and buy 2-3 broad-based index mutual funds/ETFs to match, and forget about it. It really is that easy.

-ERD50
Old 01-26-2019, 09:13 AM   #8
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by ERD50 View Post
I'm pretty sure their "personalized strategy" goes something like: "How can we make money for Ken Fisher".

Do a little googling on "active versus passive investing", and you'll find that the 'strategies fail ~ 85% of the time, and you can't pick the 15% in advance.

Just DIY, all you need to do is determine an asset allocation you are comfortable with (and don't sweat it, anything from ~40/60 ~ 90/10 is reasonable for most people), and buy 2-3 broad-based index mutual funds/ETFs to match, and forget about it. It really is that easy.

-ERD50
+1

Not to mention - if his results are SO GREAT, why does he have to market his services so hard? You'd think they'd be very busy just from the referrals received from his extremely happy clients.
Old 01-26-2019, 09:38 AM   #9
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denverite View Post
+1

Not to mention - if his results are SO GREAT, why does he have to market his services so hard? You'd think they'd be very busy just from the referrals received from his extremely happy clients.
Well (and this is true for all pundits and advisors), if they know how to beat the market consistently why are they knocking themselves out pitching their skills to investors at all? Why aren't they happily ensconced on a private tropical island, sitting on the beach and drinking from glasses garnished with orchids?

A good investment advisor doesn't advertise and he doesn't cold call. He stays as busy as he wants from referrals. He also doesn't claim the impossible.
Old 01-26-2019, 02:48 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunset View Post
they must charge high fees, as they mail me lots and lots of advertisements in large envelopes.
That's my thought too when I get one of their envelopes. We're not painting so have no immediate use for it but might save it for when I change the oil in the snow blower.
Old 01-26-2019, 03:43 PM   #11
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

A friend met with them the other day. IIRC, yes they recommend a portfolio of selected individual stocks not funds. In fact, I think it is a fairly small number of stocks. As others have mentioned, they charge a fairly high % of AUM. I do not recall the exact %. I do not remember what they recommend for bonds. As others have said, I would stick with low cost index mutual funds.
Old 01-26-2019, 03:53 PM   #12
Recycles dryer sheets

Does Bernie Madoff need a bunk-mate?
Old 01-26-2019, 05:59 PM   #13
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Run Forrest Run!!
Old 01-27-2019, 01:09 PM   #14
Give me a forum ...

Location: South Texas~29N/98W Just West of Woman Hollering Creek
Who do you thinks pays for all of those ads you see? Ken Fisher, or clients of Fisher Investments?

Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read. Groucho Marx

In dire need of: faster horses, younger woman, older whiskey, more money.
Old 01-27-2019, 01:51 PM   #15
Recycles dryer sheets

Whenever I see his ads on TeeVee, I immediately think of seeing him an episode of "American Greed".....the theme music actually plays !!!

Same with that baby-faced guy who's on occasionally ( can't recall his name).....
Old 01-28-2019, 02:07 PM   #16
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lcountz View Post
Whenever I see his ads on TeeVee, I immediately think of seeing him an episode of "American Greed".....the theme music actually plays !!!

Same with that baby-faced guy who's on occasionally ( can't recall his name).....
I could really see that. And his clients spend a ton of $$$ making sure he's on CNBC every 7 minutes. And one other thing...his hands! Come on Ken...just PUT YOUR HANDS DOWN!!! There is no need so be swinging them all around when you are trying to push your scam investments.
Old 01-28-2019, 02:23 PM   #17
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by nazoomer View Post

thank you
Nazoomer
Fisher Investments takes huge bets/positions in equities. If you don't have the stomach for the ups and downs, you may want to look elsewhere to invest your money.
Old 01-28-2019, 02:39 PM   #18
Give me a forum ...

Ask them where their client's park their yachts.
Old 01-29-2019, 02:22 PM   #19
Recycles dryer sheets

A couple of weeks back I used one of his mailings to get the wood stove lit. I get a packet from these guys periodically. Not sure how they got my name as a prospect.
Old 01-29-2019, 02:28 PM   #20
Give me a forum ...

They call me once in awhile. Quoting from this forum on various themes, I actually have some fun with them on the phone.