For the Bitcoin fans

Spanky

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
GBTC-Grayscale Bitcoin Trust goes up 23.14% while BTC-USD, Bitcoin is down -0.34%.
That is nuts!

What are the options for "investing" in Bitcoin in a brokerage account? Other than GBTC...

Not a reccomendation, but you can buy Blockchain stocks which will give you exposure. I have used RIOT and have peers who have used Hive, although I have never traded it.

It´s up over 125% in the past week on premium creep! It holds 75% BTC.:angel:

It's nuts when the NAV $17.10 while the market price is $56.99 - what a premium!!!!!!
You can buy bitcoin from Coinbase for a lot cheaper.

I use coinbase myself.
Started in 2014 with 2k, went nearly to 40k, pulled out all but 10k and used it to find my h.s.a and 2 Roth's plus bought a first edition Stephen King book. 10k just hit 25k, pulled 10k out, back to 22k. That's 1.8% of my portfolio, so i get a little sqirrely when it gets above 2%

I use coinbase myself.
Started in 2014 with 2k, went nearly to 40k, pulled out all but 10k and used it to find my h.s.a and 2 Roth's plus bought a first edition Stephen King book. 10k just hit 25k, pulled 10k out, back to 22k. That's 1.8% of my portfolio, so i get a little sqirrely when it gets above 2%

Nice profits. Do you use Coinbase pro & wallet to transfer funds?

It's nuts when the NAV $17.10 while the market price is $56.99 - what a premium!!!!!!

Price went to $59.80, 55.41% in one day. :LOL:

Bitwise says that you could buy at NAV directly from them if you have $200K or $300K (combined income) or 1M in liquid assets.

Last edited:
Really?? Then sell at market price? The numbers you just laid out are the threshold to be on accredited investor.

Price went to $59.80, 55.41% in one day. :LOL:

Bitwise says that you could buy at NAV directly from them if you have $200K or $300K (combined income) or 1M in liquid assets.

Two traders I know sold this morning at $85.00 purchased at $25.00.

Really?? Then sell at market price? The numbers you just laid out are the threshold to be on accredited investor.

Yes, as an accredited investor, you could purchase it at NAV. There might be some restrictions, e.g., holding period for a year or something before selling. :cool:

Bitcoin passes the $20,000 mark today while BITW is up by another 58.8% to $129. Wow.

Yes, you must be a accredited investor and you must hold the new securities for a period of one year before selling in the open market.

confused

so we continue to hear about crypto currencies like bitcoin almost every day. Lately it has been up to all time highs and as you could expect there are those that are saying it will be 500% higher and and this is only the begining. Others saying it is like any other boom and bust and it is only worth anything until the greater fool disapears. I know there are many cypto currencies, but seems bitcoin is the most discussed and invested.

I don't like it as I can't judge these things at all. I stayed out of tech boom in 97-99 and didn't suffer from the crash; but also didn't see the runup profits.

I don't see any value in bitcoin. What is it ? I can't eat it like commodities, I can't make anything out of it like copper or gold or silver. I guess you could say the same about paper money. Paper money has the government behind it, but in theory it is just a piece of paper or digits on your bank's computer.

Anyone buying bitcoin ? How is it any different than a scam ? I know there is in theory a limited number of bitcoins but then there is an unlimited possible number of other crypto currencies. How do you look at the nothing behind it ? Do you think there is some value as inflation hedge ? If you do, why ?

so we continue to hear about crypto currencies like bitcoin almost every day. Lately it has been up to all time highs and as you could expect there are those that are saying it will be 500% higher and and this is only the begining. Others saying it is like any other boom and bust and it is only worth anything until the greater fool disapears. I know there are many cypto currencies, but seems bitcoin is the most discussed and invested.

I don't like it as I can't judge these things at all. I stayed out of tech boom in 97-99 and didn't suffer from the crash; but also didn't see the runup profits.

I don't see any value in bitcoin. What is it ? I can't eat it like commodities, I can't make anything out of it like copper or gold or silver. I guess you could say the same about paper money. Paper money has the government behind it, but in theory it is just a piece of paper or digits on your bank's computer.

Anyone buying bitcoin ? How is it any different than a scam ? I know there is in theory a limited number of bitcoins but then there is an unlimited possible number of other crypto currencies. How do you look at the nothing behind it ? Do you think there is some value as inflation hedge ? If you do, why ?

Take a look at this article from 2018 (the latest bull run) - it's one of the better pro bitcoin reads: simple and to the point. Or you could take a look at this and join the "cryptos are a scam" camp.

Whether you're investing in BTC or not, it's an interesting subject to explore. Central banks are working on releasing their own versions of digital currencies so understanding the future of money is knowledge worth possessing. Imagine the future where The Fed deposits xxx amount of digital USD into chosen's demographic accounts with the exclusive purpose of spending it on travel, or dining, or education... If you don't do it within 6 months, the money evaporates. Ahh, the future of stimulus bills...:cool:

I purchased a small amount of BTC (starting with 2% worth of my portfolio) not because I wanted to speculate with it but because after doing some reading I decided I had faith in its future. And because I like its censorship resistance - unlike your credit cards, PayPals and bank account, BTC - when stored in your personally owned wallet - cannot be seized or locked by any entity. There are ways for the governments to mess with cryptos hence I'm not dumping massive amounts of money into BTC but I'm also not selling it even though due to its raise in price it is now a 10% of my portfolio. A similar thing happened to my Apple stock when it eventually took over 80% of it (at which point I sold half - I wish I didn't...) - the difference now is that I already have my retirement funded by all the non-BTC investments so playing with bitcoin seems harmless.

Back
Top Bottom