Join Early Retirement Today

Old 07-04-2020, 05:13 PM   #561
Dryer sheet aficionado

Excellent move, cash is the best. I’m about 1/2 into cash. I think taxes are the lowest they are going to be for a long time so maybe I’ll dump the rest.
richardf is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-04-2020, 07:28 PM   #562
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by richardf View Post
Excellent move, cash is the best. I’m about 1/2 into cash. I think taxes are the lowest they are going to be for a long time so maybe I’ll dump the rest.

I agree. Cash is king during a risky pandemic. I reallocated my portfolio from 60/40 to 100% treasuries in 2019 because the yield curve inverted and Jeffrey Gundlach stated that 2019 is an asset preservation year. This is my best bear market ever because VUSUX 1 year performance is +25% and having treasuries are like having cash.

I am 30% stock which I had purchased after the market had declined 30% after the first crash in late March. I am in prime position to buy more stock with my 70% treasuries when I expect the market to crash a second time at the end of this year due to the election and second wave of the pandemic.
2177V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2020, 06:46 AM   #563
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by vchan2177 View Post
I agree. Cash is king during a risky pandemic. I reallocated my portfolio from 60/40 to 100% treasuries in 2019 because the yield curve inverted and Jeffrey Gundlach stated that 2019 is an asset preservation year. This is my best bear market ever because VUSUX 1 year performance is +25% and having treasuries are like having cash.

I am 30% stock which I had purchased after the market had declined 30% after the first crash in late March. I am in prime position to buy more stock with my 70% treasuries when I expect the market to crash a second time at the end of this year due to the election and second wave of the pandemic.

But 2019 turned out not to be an “asset protection year.” It was an enormous bull market. How did your market timing perform over 2019 and 2020 YTD?
Markola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2020, 07:14 AM   #564
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Every financial board I participate in has a prevailing notion by many members that the market is going down again in the 2nd quarter and then again at the election.
So neither will happen because everyone “knows” it’s going to happen. Those things are baked into the market already. The train has left the station. Just stay on it, it will get you to where you want to go. Choo, choo.
COcheesehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2020, 09:22 AM   #565
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by COcheesehead View Post
Every financial board I participate in has a prevailing notion by many members that the market is going down again in the 2nd quarter and then again at the election.
So neither will happen because everyone “knows” it’s going to happen. Those things are baked into the market already. The train has left the station. Just stay on it, it will get you to where you want to go. Choo, choo.
Some of it is baked in but do you really know how many evictions are baked in? With the delays in certain states going to the next phase there will certainly be more people running out of unemployment checks and without that extra boost will not be making mortgage/rent payments. Then there is the corporations that loaded up on debt because it was "cheap" and everything was booming... that is just a ticking clock there. Lots of balls still up in the air, I wouldn't call anything settled yet. I'm sure everyone will be watching to see what the next stimulus drop will be.
karen1972 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2020, 10:46 AM   #566
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by karen1972 View Post
Some of it is baked in but do you really know how many evictions are baked in? With the delays in certain states going to the next phase there will certainly be more people running out of unemployment checks and without that extra boost will not be making mortgage/rent payments. Then there is the corporations that loaded up on debt because it was "cheap" and everything was booming... that is just a ticking clock there. Lots of balls still up in the air, I wouldn't call anything settled yet. I'm sure everyone will be watching to see what the next stimulus drop will be.
Famous sayings to live by now.

Don’t fight the Fed.
Best time to plant a tree was 30 years ago and today.

After 35 years of investing experience, I can tell there is never certainty in the short term, but almost certainty in the long term.
Old 07-05-2020, 11:14 AM   #567

Quote:
Originally Posted by Markola View Post
But 2019 turned out not to be an “asset protection year.” It was an enormous bull market. How did your market timing perform over 2019 and 2020 YTD?

You mean asset preservation year. You can't time the market to the exact day. Here are the VUSUX (Lg term treasuries) versus VFIAX (S&P500) performances:

2019 +14.83% vs +31.49%
1st qtr 2020 +20.86% vs -19.61%
2nd qtr 2020 +0.47% vs +20.54%
1 year +25.41% vs +7.47%

Since I reallocated 1 year ago, it is really the 1 years comparison that counts in my portfolio. Looks like I am ahead +25.41% vs +7.47%.

The 2019 performance does not count because I did not buy VUSUX on 1 Jan 2019 and sold 31 Dec 2019. I am also ahead in 2020 but it is really the 1 year performance that is relevant since it captured 6 months of 2019 (when I reallocated) plus the 6 months of 2020.

For the future: I believe that S&P500 is now overpriced due to the composite PE ratio of the S&P500 companies. S&P500 will decline since the "earnings" of the PE ratio will be declining due to the pandemic. When the PE ratio explodes, investors hesitate to buy companies with huge PE ratios.
Old 07-05-2020, 01:02 PM   #568
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
We won't know the impact of the second wave, the election, the drop off of unemployment payments, the evictions, the foreclosures, etc until months from now. Check back then and we will see if the train is in reverse. No one can predict what will happen to the stock market but those of us who have gone to cash at least can predict the amount of our cash. In addition I can sleep at night without waking up in cold sweat worrying about the stock market. Whoo, Whoo!
harllee is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2020, 02:52 PM   #569
Give me a forum ...

What history says...
https://www.cnbc.com/2020/07/03/hand...continues.html
Old 07-05-2020, 03:56 PM   #570
gone traveling

Quote:
After skimming it, I'm not sure what this is saying....
Tiger8693 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2020, 03:57 PM   #571
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger8693 View Post
After skimming it, I'm not sure what this is saying....
Pretty good chance we continue higher.
Old 07-05-2020, 03:59 PM   #572
gone traveling

Quote:
Pretty good chance we continue higher.
I'm on board with that!
Tiger8693 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2020, 04:11 PM   #573

Here is a recent video on Jeffrey Gundlach...

To summarize:

1. Fed is holding up the market but there is a higher risk of holding fix income assets.
2. Fed does not support negative interest rate.
3. Fed will suppress treasury interest rates to manage national debt.
4. Dollar may decline due to the higher federal debt. This impacts US investors holding overseas stocks and bonds.
5. V shaped recovery is highly optimistic and not plausible.
6. Recovery may not happen in 2020 and 2021 due to unemployment.
7. A third political party may emerge after this election.
Old 07-05-2020, 04:19 PM   #574
Give me a forum ...

From the same guy who said he is shorting the market...2 months ago.
Old 07-05-2020, 04:23 PM   #575

Quote:
From the same guy who said he is shorting the market...2 months ago.

You are the only one I know who make investments based on a 2 months time horizon.
Old 07-05-2020, 04:25 PM   #576
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
You are the only one I know who make investments based on a 2 months time horizon.
The point, that went over your head, is the guy is a manipulator at best and wrong at worst.
Old 07-05-2020, 04:44 PM   #577
Recycles dryer sheets

I'm curious if those that went to cash or sold a good portion of their stock positions earlier in the year are happy with their decision. And of those that did if they started buying back in.

I came close to doing so at the beginning of April, but could not bring myself to do it. And this was after buying a fair amount of stocks in late February and late March at what turned out to be the bottom of the market so far. One of the reasons I decided not to sell, silly as it may sound, is I didn't want to have a lot of short term losses without having the short term gains to offset.
kevdude is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2020, 05:12 PM   #578
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevdude View Post
I'm curious if those that went to cash or sold a good portion of their stock positions earlier in the year are happy with their decision. And of those that did if they started buying back in. ...
I think it is way too early to tell. I still believe that this recession will be worse than 2008/2009 but not as bad as the Great Depression and that since pre-covid that ~70% of the economy was consumer spending that unemployment is a key metric to watch.

I sometimes have a FOMO and will concede that the resilence of this market is perplexing given the obvious economic malaise. I think there is a lot worse to come and that a V-shaped recovery is wishful thinking and that the recovery will be years and not months.

I did buy some SWAN in early May.

It will be interesting to see how second quarter corporate earnings emerge.

Retired Jan 2012 at age 56
pb4uski is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2020, 05:16 PM   #579
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Here is a recent video on Jeffrey Gundlach...

To summarize:

1. Fed is holding up the market but there is a higher risk of holding fix income assets.
2. Fed does not support negative interest rate.
3. Fed will suppress treasury interest rates to manage national debt.
4. Dollar may decline due to the higher federal debt. This impacts US investors holding overseas stocks and bonds.
5. V shaped recovery is highly optimistic and not plausible.
6. Recovery may not happen in 2020 and 2021 due to unemployment.
7. A third political party may emerge after this election.

You say you got bought back into the market in late March---30% equities. Then you post on 5/1 the quote below in a bond discussion thread that you are short the equity market.

Which is it Can't take what you say seriously anymore.

Quote:
Whatever.

FYI. I decided to short the market by buying shares of RYURX on my non-IRA Etrade account. This is because Jeffrey Gundlach has announced that he is shorting the market and Warren Buffet has increased his cash position.

The S&P500 is way too high in my opinion with the large unemployment applications and the shelter in place is causing some long term economic damage. I also read that Wuhan has opened their economy but people are still scared and there is no bounce in China's economy. Once USA opens up their economy I expect something similar. When investors realizes that we are in a recession, the market will decline. At that point, I will sell my shares of RYURX and make a profit.

I put money to back up what I believe in. This is how I missed the bear market by reallocating from 60/40 to 100% treasuries in 2019. VUSUX's 1st quarter 2020 return is +20% during the crash and I am one of the few people who is making money during this bear market with treasuries in my IRA. Treasuries were also recommended by Jeffrey Gundlach in 2019.

I am a gambler by nature and I do this to make my life more exciting. We will see what happens next.
Old 07-05-2020, 05:26 PM   #580
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by pb4uski View Post
I think it is way too early to tell.
I guess I should've reworded my post. I know it's way too early to tell if it was a good idea or not. I was just wondering what people's thoughts were, such as your potential for FOMO and if that caused them to get back in or be content with holding on to the cash.

I hope you let us know how your SWAN investment does once in a while. I read some similar ideas on Bogleheads both with leverage and without.
kevdude is online now   Reply With Quote