Join Early Retirement Today

Old 01-28-2021, 07:58 AM   #181
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Running_Man View Post
They had Citicorp given the authority to sell up to 100 million in shares. Notice won't be given until they have to file SEC filings. If you remember Hertz was approved by a judge to sell shares, while they were in the midst of a bancruptcy proceeding and sold some before the SEC stopped it.
Shelf registration?
Montecfo is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-28-2021, 08:01 AM   #182
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fermion View Post
BTW, Robinhood seems nigh unusable right now, almost certainly because three million kids in their mom's basement are betting their summer McDonald's earnings on these meme stocks.

And me, a "real" investor, am up $6,500 on some Merck calls and can't sell them because the website is borked.
These are not kids, and they have turned their attention to Silver which has been discovered to be the #1 short of banks in the United States. You are underestimating what is occuring. I don't know why Silver would be such a big short for banks but Silver is now up $1.50. When they do a HUNT brothers on the US government, the Fed is going to be forced to act. Meanwhile most investors have no problem with the Federal Reserve spending 8 trillion for worthless securities to protect their stock market investment.

https://www.early-retirement.org/forums/f44/why-i-believe-we-are-about-to-embark-on-a-historic-bull-market-run-101268.html
Running_Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2021, 08:02 AM   #183
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
And me, a "real" investor, am up $6,500 on some Merck calls and can't sell them because the website is borked.
One of the Redditbros had a post for you. Basically, they went on a rant asking all boomers to help in the effort. "We don't hate you, boomer. But let us do our thing. Support us. Throw some cash in too, or just let us do our thing and stand aside." Something like that.

So stand aside, boomer, and let the kids revolt.

JoeWras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2021, 08:03 AM   #184

Quote:
Originally Posted by Montecfo View Post
Shelf registration?
GameStop has an ATM offering going. It put it in place on Dec. 8, 2020, when the stock was at about $16.35. The way these things work is that GameStop disclosed that its bank could sell stock—up to $100 million worth—“from time to time” at GameStop’s request

https://www.early-retirement.org/forums/f44/why-i-believe-we-are-about-to-embark-on-a-historic-bull-market-run-101268.html
Old 01-28-2021, 08:06 AM   #185
Give me a forum ...

Since I usually don't get deep in the weeds on all this, I have a real question.

How are they finding out about all these short positions? Is this something that has to be published?

Signed, ignorant Joe.

Old 01-28-2021, 08:07 AM   #186
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
GameStop has an ATM offering going. It put it in place on Dec. 8, 2020, when the stock was at about $16.35. The way these things work is that GameStop disclosed that its bank could sell stock—up to $100 million worth—“from time to time” at GameStop’s request
Thanks. That's interesting and wise. Maybe the company turns out to be the only true winner here
Old 01-28-2021, 08:56 AM   #187
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeWras View Post
Since I usually don't get deep in the weeds on all this, I have a real question.

How are they finding out about all these short positions? Is this something that has to be published?

Signed, ignorant Joe.
Yes, it's public information.

See: https://www.investor.gov/introductio...ansaction-data

Many financial Web sites show the short interest for each stock listing, along with all other financial data. I only look at these secondary sources (which may not be correct or updated), and do not go the the primary sources. But then, I am not a hedge fund manager, and do not short stocks.

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
NW-Bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2021, 08:58 AM   #188

Quote:

Signed, ignorant Joe.
Specific numbers about volume, average daily share volume or days to cover, is acquired from broker-dealers as part of the exchange's regulations. Many websites provide the information free of charge. Most Hedge funds up until last week actively promoted their short ideas through issued reports and on CNBC.

Old 01-28-2021, 08:59 AM   #189
Give me a forum ...

You know as someone who has gone one on one with the CBOT for almost 40 years, you guys all underestimate the power and ruthlessness of these faceless " big boys"

MY DH and I have said for at least 20 years, that if the CBOT boys could make a dollar a bushel off the corn we raised and leave us a penny, they would try to get the penny too.

The greed in Wall Street hedge funds is unimaginable to many of us. Don't feed me a line about stable markets, or managing risks, blah, blah, blah. .that's the trojan horse they use to go plundering.
ivinsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2021, 08:59 AM   #190

Quote:

Signed, ignorant Joe.
Says it right under statistics on Yahoo finance.

https://finance.yahoo.com/quote/GME/...atistics?p=GME
Old 01-28-2021, 09:03 AM   #191
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
BTW, Robinhood seems nigh unusable right now, almost certainly because three million kids in their mom's basement are betting their summer McDonald's earnings on these meme stocks.

It's not just usability issues, the chatter seems to indicate that Robin Hood is only allowed folks to sell and NOT buy...and it doesn't seem to be tied to margin requirements. If Robin Hood is indeed doing this...well, that IS market manipulation. Setting a 100% margin requirement is allowed (and makes sense right now), but shutting off buyers all together?
Old 01-28-2021, 09:06 AM   #192
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ExFlyBoy5 View Post
It's not just usability issues, the chatter seems to indicate that Robin Hood is only allowed folks to sell and NOT buy...and it doesn't seem to be tied to margin requirements. If Robin Hood is indeed doing this...well, that IS market manipulation. Setting a 100% margin requirement is allowed (and makes sense right now), but shutting off buyers all together?
See post #160 robinhood has chosen to disallow purchases of certain equities.
MRG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2021, 09:09 AM   #193

Quote:
Originally Posted by corn18 View Post
Says it right under statistics on Yahoo finance.

https://finance.yahoo.com/quote/GME/...atistics?p=GME
Whoa! I just clicked on Corn's link, just to see the stats on shorting, and was treated to a real-time view of the swan dive. Down ~44% now.

Edit: and now it seems to be frozen? No updated prices in the last 5 minutes...

Edit to my edit. Looks like I was premature on the frozen comment.
Out-to-Lunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2021, 09:10 AM   #194
Give me a forum ...

Thanks to the answers to my questions. Very helpful. Back when I was playing individual stocks, I should have paid attention to this.

Quote:
Most Hedge funds up until last week actively promoted their short ideas through issued reports and on CNBC.
Wow. So the Redditbros stole their gun and used it against them. For now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ivinsfan View Post
The greed in Wall Street hedge funds is unimaginable to many of us. Don't feed me a line about stable markets, or managing risks, blah, blah, blah. .that's the trojan horse they use to go plundering.
I think that the movie Wall Street and the Gekko character tried to go into that. Of course, Stone had to dramatize and give a sort-of-happy-everyone-gets-their-comeuppance ending. In the real world, most people don't see these players as they silently make their hundreds of millions.

Old 01-28-2021, 09:17 AM   #195

10:00am - 470
11:15am - 153

Great entertainment.
jim584672 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2021, 09:17 AM   #196
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by jim584672 View Post
Waiting for the music to stop and the chair scramble to begin.
Exactly, the last-in of the longs will get hurt badly... once it starts cratering there will be no buyers because the intrinsic value is so low and the game will be over (or put another way, the game will stop).

Retired Jan 2012 at age 56
pb4uski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2021, 09:18 AM   #197
Give me a forum ...

lol GME just lost 14B in 30 minutes...is that a record?
Fermion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2021, 09:19 AM   #198

Quote:
Originally Posted by jim584672 View Post
10:00am - 470
11:15am - 153

Great entertainment.
$126
Old 01-28-2021, 09:21 AM   #199
Give me a forum ...

Well, like I said.
Old 01-28-2021, 09:23 AM   #200
Give me a forum ...

As I mentioned earlier, shorting these stocks at their ridiculous high seems lucrative, but not easy to borrow shares at that point, plus the high risk. And the closest thing to shorting I have done is to buy puts, but the premium on GME was outrageous as I described, and did not leave me much room for profit.

But, but, but, yesterday I looked around among the few stocks that popped the most in recent days. I do not go to reddit, but spotted BBBY (Bed Bath and Beyond) among the poppers. And the puts were not too expensive, so I bought 1 PUT 40 Feb 5 for a lark. I was prepared to lose all of the $600.

BBBY surged to as high as $53 yesterday (from $20 a week ago). It is dropping, and at $32 now. I have gained enough for a few XO bottles.

My real gains hopefully will be from purchases of other "innocent" stocks that people sold yesterday. I made a 6-figure commitment there.

PS. Will I make enough from that lousy single PUT to have enough for a jamon iberico ham in addition to the XO? I guess I will hang on to the put for a few more days to find out. The option expired next Friday.

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
NW-Bound is offline   Reply With Quote