Join Early Retirement Today

Old 08-18-2018, 07:42 AM   #21
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpartacusSchmartacus View Post
Have not checked but they might be the last original DOW stock? Seems like a break up is required. Bad management and bad luck never go together.
Anyone holding this still ... the chart has been going down for years?
GE happens to be only 5 individual stocks I have. I bought~275 shares @ 18/share, and sold only 75 (at a loss of course) after reading all the bad news about GE. I plan to keep 200 shares on mainly for Dividend payouts. Not sure why but I resist selling anything even if it's a roller coaster. That's why I hate buying individual stocks (don't have time to keep up) and I'm 90% in balanced Mutual Funds or ETFs for diversification.
retired1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-18-2018, 12:28 PM   #22
Full time employment: Posting here.

We had a new CEO many years back that was a Jack Welch fan boy. He did a lot of things that made a lot of money for the company, but he also did a lot of stupid things.

They brought in a new VP of Customer Experience (some title like that) that new absolutely nothing about our product, the market, or our customers. He had been somebody important in a credit card company, and you know, they deal with a lot of customers.

We had some local facility managers who were real lapdogs for corporate. They started tearing down buildings to get them off the assets list. All in the name of improving the Return on Assets ratio. Some of these buildings were less than 10 years old.

5 years after the CEO left, we were putting up buildings again because we were out of space. In one case, they built a new building that was almost identical to the 10 year old building that had been torn down. And they built it in the same place. I think it was intended to be a monument to wasteful policies.
Old 08-18-2018, 04:31 PM   #23
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Although my Mega hasn't started tearing down and rebuilding, they are firing and rehiring!
JoeWras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2018, 05:51 PM   #24
Recycles dryer sheets

Urgh! I bought GE at $31.05 in 2016. I thought I'd experiment with building my own dividend portfolio of 5 individual stocks. I realized that was a big mistake and now I just buy SCHD. I still have the GE stock. I'll sell as soon as it recovers ...if it ever does.
JackJester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2018, 08:14 PM   #25
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by retired1 View Post
GE happens to be only 5 individual stocks I have. I bought~275 shares @ 18/share, and sold only 75 (at a loss of course) after reading all the bad news about GE. I plan to keep 200 shares on mainly for Dividend payouts. Not sure why but I resist selling anything even if it's a roller coaster. That's why I hate buying individual stocks (don't have time to keep up) and I'm 90% in balanced Mutual Funds or ETFs for diversification.
There is talk of GE not continuing with Dividends just to stay alive ... many are suggesting this. Maybe best to set a stop loss with your on-line acct at a certain price in case this happens? Just sayin cuz if it does get announced who knows where the stock would drop to ... might protect the bit remaining?
SpartacusSchmartacus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2018, 09:35 AM   #26
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Breakup Value in the next year ? and spin off into how many companies ? ( a relative has a lot of shares, inherited thru 3 generations )
Old 10-01-2018, 11:51 AM   #27
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

My bottom fishing last week seems to have paid off today........
youbet is offline   Reply With Quote