Join Early Retirement Today

GE Showing Some Bad mojo
Old 01-20-2009, 01:54 PM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

GE Showing Some Bad mojo

Ge down 8% today, much worse than the market, and at $12 and change Jack should soon be out yelling about what a loser Jeff is.

OK, a dividend cut seems very likely,. This degree of weakness is kind of funny; it really suggests that something pretty negative is in the works. Market cap is down to $129B.

Maybe a rating downgrade, and a dividend cut?

Ha
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-20-2009, 02:18 PM   #2
Give me a forum ...

That is a big hit for a company that size. Looks like this baby is headed for single digits.
Old 01-20-2009, 02:28 PM   #3
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Friend of mine is a CPA. When ever GE came up he would point out the if you look closely you will see GE is a finance co. That they make more of their income from the financing of product than from the sale of products. If this is true, and considering what is going on in the financial markets, then a drop in GE would be expected.
Rustic23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2009, 02:33 PM   #4
Give me a forum ...

Immelt has said repeatedly that the dividend is "safe" for 2009. He didn't say anything about 2010.......

I think he is out within 3 months. GE Finance is weighing them down. I do know a few folks at GE Heathcare, and they are still carrying a 15 month backlog on their MRI machines..........

This Thread is USELESS without pics.........:)
FinanceDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2009, 02:33 PM   #5

I agree. GE was the last of the financials I held, but asset value uncertainty is so high I sold it a few months ago.
Old 01-20-2009, 03:19 PM   #6
Recycles dryer sheets

You don't have to look far to see GE cuts, people are disappearing left and right on NBC etc.
cashbalancetrouble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2009, 03:24 PM   #7

If you look at GE compared to the finance and REIT companies, GE actually did not do too bad. GE with a book value of $12, I have been assuming a 1-2 $ per share writeoff from their finance arm and a possible dividend cut, surely no increases. This company is not however a Citicorp or Bank of America. I believe it will survive to another day and is finally arriving at a value that a very long term holder will find profitable. I do not think this stock will go to zero.

However Value Line just this week dropped it's safety rating of GE from 1 to 2 and it's technical rating dropped as well. Those have typically been bad signs for the short term stock price of the effected company. GE has been a "1" in safety for as long as I can remember, so I think it is probable that down the road their "AAA" rating will be gone, which short term will not help the stock price either. Value Line is not expecting that GE will cut it's dividend but realizes no increases for the forseeable future. Insiders also are not buying yet as well.

Since my investing discipline is to require a company that can raise dividends in excess of inflation I am not and will not purchase it for myself, but a long term value holder might use a drop on disappointment in upcoming earnings in the coming weeks as a value investment entry. A price of 11 - 12 or under would be a good value entry point in my view.

REITS on the other hand are scaring me silly this year, I was looking at them in December as an investment thinking their drop was overdone but the possibility of rent reductions, and bankrupt clients to factor in makes me think REITS may be the banking sector of 2009.

http://www.valueline.com/dow30/f3807.pdf

https://www.early-retirement.org/forums/f44/why-i-believe-we-are-about-to-embark-on-a-historic-bull-market-run-101268.html
Running_Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2009, 03:56 PM   #8
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by haha View Post
Ge down 8% today, much worse than the market, and at $12 and change Jack should soon be out yelling about what a loser Jeff is.
Jack did a good job but, he did ride the bull market. He also moved GE into financials. He should know when to keep quiet.
Old 01-20-2009, 05:27 PM   #9

We'll get some indication Friday when GE announces 4Q '08 earnings. Most likely they will give some guidance for '09.
FIRE'd@51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2009, 06:25 PM   #10
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Running_Man View Post
GE has been a "1" in safety for as long as I can remember, so I think it is probable that down the road their "AAA" rating will be gone, which short term will not help the stock price either. Value Line is not expecting that GE will cut it's dividend but realizes no increases for the forseeable future.
Not only would a downgrade hurt the stock it would also hurt the business. How much of GE Financial's profitability in the past has depended on their low cost of debt?

Ha
Old 01-20-2009, 11:43 PM   #11
Give me a forum ...

I recently bought some GE shares. Will not buy more, but am not thinking about selling.

About Jack's past performance, I think he was just riding the bull market. It does not mean he was a bad CEO, only that he wasn't the demigod some might have believed. Taleb in "Fooled by Randomness" pointed out that so many widely acclaimed successes are merely circumstancial.
NW-Bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2009, 12:09 AM   #12
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-Bound View Post
I recently bought some GE shares. Will not buy more, but am not thinking about selling.

About Jack's past performance, I think he was just riding the bull market. It does not mean he was a bad CEO, only that he wasn't the demigod some might have believed. Taleb in "Fooled by Randomness" pointed out that so many widely acclaimed successes are merely circumstancial.
In the early to mid-eighties I subscribed to a weekly insider service that just listed all outright buys or sells. For months on end Jack Welch and many other officers bought GE shares heavily, with their own money. I ignored it, thinking who needs light bulbs and jet engines?

Then the stock took off on anamazing run that lasted a very long time and increased values many times over. GE became a financial powerhouse, as well as getting much deeper into other higher margin businesses.

GE killed its peers. Cosidering that it was a huge, mature conglomerate, I think there was some excellent management going on here.

http://moneycentral.msn.com/investor...ocookie=1&SZ=0

Ha
Old 01-21-2009, 08:01 AM   #13

Quote:
Not only would a downgrade hurt the stock it would also hurt the business. How much of GE Financial's profitability in the past has depended on their low cost of debt?

Ha
It seeems the 80 percent stock drop from 2000 to here though is anticipating that, so that you would be getting short term action on the rating drop, but going forward GE assets still have a productive value. It may be a very long term to realize the value though after working through the credit mess. But they will have businesses to help them work through the mess.

The love for GE seems to have evaporated and the fear of Citi and BAC seems to have been dipped on GE but I think GE is the far better company with real long-term prospects. Still I will not abandon my strategy and buy it so perhaps I should not be commenting on this stock!?

https://www.early-retirement.org/forums/f44/why-i-believe-we-are-about-to-embark-on-a-historic-bull-market-run-101268.html
Running_Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2009, 08:12 AM   #14
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
It seeems the 80 percent stock drop from 2000 to here though is anticipating that, so that you would be getting short term action on the rating drop, but going forward GE assets still have a productive value. It may be a very long term to realize the value though after working through the credit mess. But they will have businesses to help them work through the mess.

The love for GE seems to have evaporated and the fear of Citi and BAC seems to have been dipped on GE but I think GE is the far better company with real long-term prospects. Still I will not abandon my strategy and buy it so perhaps I should not be commenting on this stock!?
No, you should always comment. I believe it was YOU who said stay away from bank stocks. Anyone who listened is very happy today........

Old 01-21-2009, 11:03 AM   #15
Give me a forum ...

Quote:

I agree; just wanted to make a point about GE and ratings. I own it, and have bought more although not as cheap as it now is.

Ha
Old 01-21-2009, 12:15 PM   #16

Quote:

I don't care that much about long term growth as long as they can keep paying the 9.7% dividend. I'll be happy to wait around for a while.

(I don't own the stock BTW)
saluki9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2009, 01:21 PM   #17
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by saluki9 View Post
(I don't own the stock BTW)
Well,that makes a BIG difference,right? Our GE retiree clients are calling for Immelt's head on a platter........

Old 01-22-2009, 01:29 PM   #18
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by FinanceDude View Post
Well,that makes a BIG difference,right? Our GE retiree clients are calling for Immelt's head on a platter........
Hard to know, but to me he is just wrong place, wrong time. The landscape is littered with big time execs who made huge blunders. It is not at all clear to me that GE's problems having anything to do with Immelt. other than he is not God.

And I doubt the board gives a fig what the retirees want. Still, as long as it deflects some anger away from your firm its all good, right?

Ha
Old 01-22-2009, 01:40 PM   #19
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Hard to know, but to me he is just wrong place, wrong time. The landscape is littered with big time execs who made huge blunders. It is not at all clear to me that GE's problems having anything to do with Immelt. other than he is not God.

And I doubt the board gives a fig what the retirees want. Still, as long as it deflects some anger away from your firm its all good, right?

Ha
Well, one of the hardest things to do is convince a person who is loaded up in company stock to divest themselves of a chunk of it.

I am still a big fan of guys like Peter Lynch and Jack Welch who know when a big storm is coming and duck safely into port..........

Old 01-23-2009, 09:52 AM   #20
Give me a forum ...

Well, I have lost 25% in my GE position, a small position bought recently that did not constitute even 1% of portfolio. I bought it as an industrial play, but its financial arm is dragging down the rest of the corp.

I also continue to lose money in BRK/B, a 16% loss. This one, I have up to 3% of portfolio. One good thing I did not buy one share or two of the A shares about 2-3 months ago when I wanted to get some. That's more than 3% of my portfolio, for sure.

Cash+I-bonds at 50.4% as I write this. Probably won't buy any more equities until the smoke clears some. I say probably because it's tough to resist bargains out there. Nearly every sector got beaten down. I know, I know. Hormone like Unclemick likes to say.
NW-Bound is offline   Reply With Quote