Join Early Retirement Today

GE to open over $100 a share tomorrow
Old 08-01-2021, 05:34 PM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

GE to open over $100 a share tomorrow

That got your attention. But it looks like it's true.

GE closed Friday at just under $13 a share and "should" open tomorrow at a little over $103... Too bad it's taking a 8 to 1 reserve split to get to these numbers... So if you have a bunch of GE, don't freak out and retire tomorrow morning when you see the opening price.

Of course if you had 10,000 shares of GE Friday, (don't ask me why I picked that number ) you'd only have 1250 shares on Monday but the total value would not have changed. At least over the weekend.

Anyone have any thoughts on how (or even if) the reserve split is likely to effect their stock price movement in the morning? Or over the coming weeks/months? Positive, negative or no material effect?

If you care to read their press release you can find it here. https://www.ge.com/news/press-releas...se-stock-split
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-01-2021, 05:53 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

edited..

I predict no effect on the stock value.
Old 08-01-2021, 05:55 PM   #3
Give me a forum ...

^^^^ The link in my post above explains GE's reasons if you are interested...
Old 08-01-2021, 05:57 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

I just read it, thanks,!
Old 08-01-2021, 06:20 PM   #5
Give me a forum ...

Whoa! One of those reverse splits, eh?
Old 08-01-2021, 07:38 PM   #6
Full time employment: Posting here.

On my E-trade account it shows my cost basis at 96.... but current value still at $12.95. All of a sudden there's a $13k loss that wasn't there just 2 days ago. Freaked me out moments ago till I found a Barron's story explaining it.

https://www.barrons.com/articles/ge-...ce-51627766341

"How GE boosted its Share price by 700%"
MichealKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2021, 07:40 PM   #7

And now for Get off My Lawn, 1st installment:

I really can't stand this stock split stuff. Reverse, forward, sideways, curly, whatever. Yes I'm a novice with stocks but I see stocks split....and people go nuts and bid the shares up even though they are still worth not a dime.

So now, GE feels sexy with a stock price in the 100s -- my goodness are we teenage girls at the mall wanting to buy tighter jeans?

Stuff like this is why I've always felt the stock market is 30% fake and probably run by Vince McMahon.

Ok, that's it. Get back on my lawn now if you must.
Old 08-01-2021, 07:50 PM   #8
Give me a forum ...

Some years ago I read that some mutual fund managers did not like to buy "cheap" stocks with price per share too low. And the public also looks down on "penny stocks".

Hence, a reverse split was a way to make a company share more respectable, and worthy of consideration by investors.

A regular split is more common. A share that is as expensive as Berkshire Hathaway A share at $420,000 per share puts it out of the reach of 99.9% of investors. And can you imagine writing an option contract on a round lot of 100 shares? No, no options on BRK-A exist.

Hence, BRK-B shares were created, and at $278/share is a lot more accessible to investors.

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
NW-Bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2021, 07:53 PM   #9
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichealKnight View Post
Stuff like this is why I've always felt the stock market is 30% fake and probably run by Vince McMahon.

Ok, that's it. Get back on my lawn now if you must.
30% is not even close. US financial markets are a complex puzzle, co-mingled with national security, jacked up to compete with foreign financial markets, security threats from China et al..thus requiring constant back-door support from US agencies of all kind.

One lesson I learnt a decade ago (after my utter disillusionment with US financial markets being supposedly free capital markets) - if you can't beat them, join them.
yhoomajor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2021, 07:57 PM   #10
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

My limited experience with reverse stock splits has been when a company is trying to keep their price higher to avoid delisting. That's not the case here but i still feel a reverse split carries a negative connotation.
CincyDave is online now   Reply With Quote
$104
Old 08-01-2021, 08:05 PM   #11

$104

So if and when it falls "under $100" I wonder if that sets off all sorts of talking points and mental gymnastics.

My Goodness. 6 in 1......
Old 08-01-2021, 10:03 PM   #12

Well, the good news is that they were dropped from the DJIA in 2018. Otherwise, this reverse split would have amped up their influence (going forward) on "the Dow" by a factor of 8.
Old 08-01-2021, 10:29 PM   #13
Give me a forum ...

Location: Spending the Kids Inheritance and living in Chicago
Quote:
Originally Posted by CincyDave View Post
My limited experience with reverse stock splits has been when a company is trying to keep their price higher to avoid delisting. That's not the case here but i still feel a reverse split carries a negative connotation.
Yes, and in my experience, whenever I was unlucky enough to own a stock that did a reverse split, it's fortunes continued downhill...
Old 08-02-2021, 06:25 AM   #14
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunset View Post
Yes, and in my experience, whenever I was unlucky enough to own a stock that did a reverse split, it's fortunes continued downhill...
Admittedly buying some GE stock was a gamble on my part... Their recent second quarter report was upbeat but the stock didn't really seem to move much based on that. I have a bit of profit at this point so I'll watch it for a while.... Maybe.
Old 08-02-2021, 01:51 PM   #15
Give me a forum ...

Well I bailed early this morning at exactly 107... Nice very short term profit... "At this time" it looks like that was a good move since it's now down to under 101. (And I'm not sure why) I may not be smiling in a few days if it really pops but it's now water under the bridge...
Old 08-02-2021, 02:00 PM   #16

The old adage on Wall Street is never buy a reverse split.
jim584672 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2021, 02:01 PM   #17
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by jim584672 View Post
The old adage on Wall Street is never buy a reverse split.
Well somebody bought mine
Old 08-02-2021, 06:04 PM   #18
Recycles dryer sheets

Well, my Vanguard account still has the same number of shares pre-split and at the new reverse split price. They may not have got the memo.

Quick, I am going to sell my shares and retire. Oh wait..
Go-NoGo is offline   Reply With Quote