Join Early Retirement Today

Have you been reducing equities in recent years?
Old 06-29-2021, 08:23 AM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

The chart below would seem to indicate that investors are strongly increasing their bond allocations at the expense of equities. Somehow I do not get that impression with folks on the ER site mostly holding steady (Bogleheads?). FWIW, I have increased my equities strongly over the last year but AA was pretty steady before that.

From this Carlson article: https://awealthofcommonsense.com/202...-rates-higher/
Quote:
Baby boomers hold something like $70 trillion in wealth. They own most of the financial assets. Ten thousand people from this cohort are retiring every day through the end of this decade.
Lsbcal is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-29-2021, 08:28 AM   #2
Give me a forum ...

No, I have stayed pretty strong at about 70 pct equities.

To your point, there remains a lot of money on the sidelines, a good sign.
Montecfo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2021, 08:32 AM   #3
Administrator

Is it possible this analysis only looks at mutual fund flows, not ETFs or direct holdings, and doesn’t capture a large part of asset purchases. If so, it would also cover mostly retail investors, as high net worth and institutional investors tend to avoid mutual funds.
MichaelB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2021, 08:47 AM   #4
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I've reduced our equity allocation from about 70 down closer to 60 over the past few years. I'm approaching retirement (soon hopefully) and thanks to a large inheritance, our portfolio has grown significantly. So although the % in stocks is lower, the absolute $ amount is higher. I expect to keep it around 60 for the long term.
disneysteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2021, 08:48 AM   #5
Give me a forum ...

Cumulative numbers in the chart means this includes ETFs.
Old 06-29-2021, 08:54 AM   #6
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Montecfo View Post
To your point, there remains a lot of money on the sidelines, a good sign.
A comforting thought.
Old 06-29-2021, 08:56 AM   #7

The chart shows inflow, not total assets. With the bull stock market in recent years, investors could increase their stock allocation without doing anything.

Uptick in bond inflow and downtick in stock inflow started roughly at the beginning of the current bull stock market. Maybe this just shows stocks are being sold and bonds are being bought to rebalance?
Which Roger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2021, 09:04 AM   #8
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lsbcal View Post
Cumulative numbers in the chart means this includes ETFs.
Yes, they do include ETFs. Not direct holdings, though. This is still a look at retail investors, not institutional. The source of this is a monthly analysis by Ed Yardeni, here.

The flow doesn’t tell us about asset allocation, because over time the equity holdings increase in value and the bond holdings don’t, or at least not as much. If my allocation is 60/40, equity prices are rising 8% yearly, and I’m adding 5% in new contributions, it would all need to go to fixed income.
MichaelB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2021, 09:33 AM   #9
Full time employment: Posting here.

Not really. I was about 96% equities last March after I traded all my cash for stock funds (DW's and Megacorps' controlled Retirement Fund have some bonds). I'm haven't bought stocks outside my 401k since, so my cash reserves are climbing again. I'm about 93% equities now.
Old 06-29-2021, 09:53 AM   #10
Give me a forum ...

Nope.

I was at 100% equities from at least 1987 until I retired in 2016. Sometime after that I went to 90% equities, then have let things drift / lazily rebalanced up to 97% equities.

But I'm weird. My AA is based on whatever the historically safest AA is for my situation in FIREcalc. I do make a complicated adjustment from there based on my spending level because I now don't expect to spend it all, so the leftover part that I think my kids will get is allocated 100% equities. I don't really vary it on either actual market performance, current events, what I think is going to happen, or my feelings.
"At times the world can seem an unfriendly and sinister place, but believe us when we say there is much more good in it than bad. All you have to do is look hard enough, and what might seem to be a series of unfortunate events, may in fact be the first steps of a journey." Violet Baudelaire.
SecondCor521 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2021, 10:19 AM   #11

Due to mostly the increases in equities, my AA has drifted to 86% equities. I have no desire to rebalance now since I do not feel there are any real good fixed income investments at this time to put money into. Rising interest rates and inflation concerns me. I can handle the volatility of the equity markets just fine, I have a long term outlook.

You can't spend yourself to prosperity.

Semi-Retired 7/1/16: working part-time (60%) for now [4/24/17 changed to 80%]
Retired Aug 2, 2017; age 53
38Chevy454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2021, 10:40 AM   #12
Give me a forum ...

I'm selling equities for cash to spend. Not buying either stocks or bonds. Current mix ~ 80/20
RobbieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2021, 11:25 AM   #13
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelB View Post
Yes, they do include ETFs. Not direct holdings, though. This is still a look at retail investors, not institutional. The source of this is a monthly analysis by Ed Yardeni, here.

The flow doesn’t tell us about asset allocation, because over time the equity holdings increase in value and the bond holdings don’t, or at least not as much. If my allocation is 60/40, equity prices are rising 8% yearly, and I’m adding 5% in new contributions, it would all need to go to fixed income.
Good points. It looks like the retail investors are not running out and getting wildly bullish. Yes there is some speculation, but I would guess this is smallish in the broad sense of the US equity holdings and more confined to low net asset investors.
Old 06-29-2021, 11:53 AM   #14
Give me a forum ...

Not buying equities but have increased to ~80%. I don't rebalance ever, just let things ride the waves.
street is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2021, 11:59 AM   #15
Give me a forum ...

Surprising to me how many so far have responded with high equity allocations. Maybe a poll on equity allocations is in order? Or has that been done recently?
Old 06-29-2021, 01:02 PM   #16

Quote:
Surprising to me how many so far have responded with high equity allocations. Maybe a poll on equity allocations is in order? Or has that been done recently?
I was thinking the same thing. Keep in mind that a lot of people may have pensions that cover all or most of their expenses so they can be more aggressive in their investments. I’ve got no pension so feel I need to be more balanced in my approach.
disneysteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2021, 01:06 PM   #17
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by disneysteve View Post
I was thinking the same thing. Keep in mind that a lot of people may have pensions that cover all or most of their expenses so they can be more aggressive in their investments. I’ve got no pension so feel I need to be more balanced in my approach.
Yes, forgot about that. I don't have a pension either. Pensions, vastly different safe withdrawal rates due to different net worths, inheritances .... lots of factors that can effect the AA choice.
Old 06-29-2021, 01:43 PM   #18

I'm 66yrs old and have this internal dialog, that I should start to reduce my stock allocation. However, my net worth is up $251k in the last 6 months and $321k the previous 6 months and that's with spending withdrawn.

Also with bond yields so low, when interest rates do go up, I'm sure the bond principal will go down. I guess I could buy individual bonds and hold to maturity. That keeps up with inflation!
I still have 30 years of Bob Brinker in my head, one of his lines was,

"When you have Critical Mass, don't put it at risk."
Time2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2021, 01:46 PM   #19
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Yes.
Old 06-29-2021, 01:50 PM   #20
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Not sure how many of the high % equity holders truly rely on their portfolios for most of their retirement funding.