Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Old 04-14-2021, 06:58 AM   #121
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

There is quite a spectrum of "digital" currency emerging.

On one end is the true cryptocurrencies like bitcoin and etherium, etc. On the other end is just "storing" traditional fiat currency in digital form like having you dollars as numbers in a database.

One to watch is the Digital Yuan from China. It's kind of the anti-bitcoin. While bitcoin is anonymous, DY is the opposite. It will allow the Chinese government to track all transactions in real time.

They are also envisioning "features" like attaching an expiration date to it. Imagine getting a stimulus "check" and the money has to be spent in the next 30 days. Maybe even only on certain types of good.

This is pretty dystopian IMHO.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-14-2021, 07:18 AM   #122
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpeirce View Post
There is quite a spectrum of "digital" currency emerging.

On one end is the true cryptocurrencies like bitcoin and etherium, etc. On the other end is just "storing" traditional fiat currency in digital form like having you dollars as numbers in a database.

One to watch is the Digital Yuan from China. It's kind of the anti-bitcoin. While bitcoin is anonymous, DY is the opposite. It will allow the Chinese government to track all transactions in real time.

They are also envisioning "features" like attaching an expiration date to it. Imagine getting a stimulus "check" and the money has to be spent in the next 30 days. Maybe even only on certain types of good.

This is pretty dystopian IMHO.
Chinese society is pretty much cashless already. A lot of places don't accept cash and quite a few use facial recognition for payments. One can argue whether this is convenient or dystopian given how much a lot of us like plastering our faces voluntarily all over the internet. The whole discussion about CBDCs (Central Bank Digital Currencies) is very interesting, especially around privacy aspect. It's inevitable they are coming - Europe is working on digital Euro and Bahamas and Cambodia already released them.
Old 04-14-2021, 08:56 AM   #123

Evaporating currency! I guess if they can't vote you out of office, they've got a lot of latitude.
Old 04-14-2021, 09:19 AM   #124

Quote:
Originally Posted by tenant13 View Post
It's inevitable they are coming - Europe is working on digital Euro and Bahamas and Cambodia already released them.
As are "we" (the US). We certainly need to make sure it's a "good thing" and not a "bad thing" when it arrives ;-)
Old 04-14-2021, 09:24 AM   #125

Whoohoo! My dogecoin has doubled overnight!!!

But, I only have $1000 invested [speculated] in it. lol
Old 04-15-2021, 07:06 PM   #126

Quote:
Originally Posted by Running_Man View Post
The secret to bitcoin and major cryptocurrencies is decentralized finance, otherwise known as Defi. Applications are being written around this and outlawing crypto is not going to be very easy as the valuations gets into the trillions as major corporations are playing in the space and the larger this becomes with more corporations the less likely any outlawing of this will be.

Raoul Pal's insight in October 2020, and he was a fan of crypto long before, in conversations with finance heads he saw so many major players were going to get involved in this space and the future these people anticipated, and you don't just create more bitcoin to meet the demand, the price rises to meet the demand. He utilized the stock to flow model and anticipated a price of $400,000 to $1,000,000 based on his model of demand, the amount being mined and he came up with that price, advertised it for free all over the internet and put 75% of all of his wealth into crypto. Since then prices have more than tripled. I especially enjoyed his comment, "Bitcoin is outperforming everything else on earth and makes everything else pointless, I simply don't care about value versus growth, oh look I can make 10 percent in this asset class while Bitcoin is up 100 YTD.. at this phase in the crypto cycle nothing else matters. There is a wall of money coming in"

I don't think dead people really can provide the critical thinking necessary to try and understand this space any more than 15th Century scholars understood the importance of Christopher Columbus's journeys.

I reccomend this video highly if one would like to try and understand what is happening I think Rauol explains it well.

https://www.realvision.com/shows/dai...&autoplay=true
Since this post, the second largest Crypto Asset Ethereum is up 20% Dogecoin is up 100% in a week, it is up 75X since November and Elon Musk is it's biggest fan. Interesting times. I do see where 10 year treasuries are yielding 1.6% so there's that.

https://www.early-retirement.org/forums/f44/why-i-believe-we-are-about-to-embark-on-a-historic-bull-market-run-101268.html
Old 04-16-2021, 09:08 AM   #127
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Still waiting for Amazoncoin crypto. All others will bow to that one.
Old 04-16-2021, 10:24 AM   #128
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirtbiker View Post
Whoohoo! My dogecoin has doubled overnight!!!

But, I only have $1000 invested [speculated] in it. lol
I jumped in the madness back when GME was going and took 1/2 the table when it doubled a few days later. I had forgotten about it until I saw a blip about it on CNBC and see that it's up 400% in a WEEK! I went ahead and took another 1/2 off for a nice little $6500 profit on my $1500 usd holding.

Maybe we need a Robinhood type thread about the race to $250,000 in crypto?
Old 04-16-2021, 11:09 AM   #129
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ExFlyBoy5 View Post
Might as well!

My biotech picks are not doing well at all....I should have just dumped it all in DOGE or pork belly futures or gamestop or something with real value instead of biotech.
Old 04-16-2021, 11:25 AM   #130
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fermion View Post
Might as well!

My biotech picks are not doing well at all....I should have just dumped it all in DOGE or pork belly futures or gamestop or something with real value instead of biotech.
Maybe tulips will become a thing again!
Old 04-17-2021, 07:44 AM   #131

The point that crypto currency "A" went up more than "B" makes and interesting point... just because there's a limited amount of "A" in circulation and mineable doesn't mean much when "B" on through "Z" and beyond can step in.

People are going to want what's most useful. But there are many uses. If you want to store big bucks, you want stability. If you want to drop a few bucks in to use for cab fare the next day, eh, as long as it gets me to my destination. Don't they use phone minutes as currency in some counties? Useful because people have phones and need minutes, and can be instantly transferred. Minutes are nice because they are consumed (not just transferred). Like metals that are used in manufacturing, consumed a little bit, but mostly transferred.
Old 04-17-2021, 09:08 AM   #132
Give me a forum ...

What is discouraging is that several billionaires are embracing bitcoin. I don't want to be forced to buy into crypto and enrich the people who got in early on the "ponzi".

By forced, I mean if enough really rich people invest in it, they will use their power to lobby it into general use.
Old 04-19-2021, 01:47 PM   #133

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fermion View Post
What is discouraging is that several billionaires are embracing bitcoin. I don't want to be forced to buy into crypto and enrich the people who got in early on the "ponzi".

By forced, I mean if enough really rich people invest in it, they will use their power to lobby it into general use.
I'm not sure you'd be enriching the early adopters if you wait until the price stabilizes. I would think the world would benefit from a widely accepted currency that was not controlled by a government.
Old 04-19-2021, 04:08 PM   #134

I finally decided to take a dip.
100 shares. Maybe I'll bring down the entire cryptocurrency universe..lol
Old 04-19-2021, 04:43 PM   #135

You are aware that BCHG doesn't invest in "regular" bitcoin, but rather a variant that isn't interchangeable with bitcoin. GBTC does invest in "classic" bitcoin.
Old 04-19-2021, 05:56 PM   #136

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpeirce View Post
You are aware that BCHG doesn't invest in "regular" bitcoin, but rather a variant that isn't interchangeable with bitcoin. GBTC does invest in "classic" bitcoin.
I am now.
Old 04-20-2021, 10:37 AM   #137

Quote:
Originally Posted by ExFlyBoy5 View Post
I jumped in the madness back when GME was going and took 1/2 the table when it doubled a few days later. I had forgotten about it until I saw a blip about it on CNBC and see that it's up 400% in a WEEK! I went ahead and took another 1/2 off for a nice little $6500 profit on my $1500 usd holding.

My $1k of doge is now sitting at $5000. I probably should have sold it at $6500 this morning, but wanted to wait until it hit $10k, which would be around $0.65. Worst case scenario, it goes to zero, and I wasted $1k. It was play money that I used for speculating anyhow, so I'm not too worried. Today is 'doge day' where it is supposed to 'go to the moon.' LOL. Looks like a bust so far. It's rather ridiculous, but fun.
Old 05-18-2021, 06:01 PM   #138

As if crypto wasn’t already confusing enough. I guess I thought the whole point of stock tickers is that each one is unique. Silly me. I’ll stick to index funds.

Investors Confuse Ethan Allen With Ethereum: Shares up 50% Over Average Price.

Ethan Allen, a U.S.-based furniture company, has been getting strange traction in markets this year, due to an interesting coincidence. The company’s stock ticker is the same as ethereum’s ticker, something it shares with one of the hottest cryptocurrencies right now. This has caused confusion among investors, who have bought Ethan Allen without doing research.

Ethereum (ETH)

https://marketinsider.net/investors-...-average-price
Old 05-18-2021, 08:30 PM   #139

Etherium not being a stock would never be listed on a stock exchange.

Funny story though. I wonder if anyone mistakenly bought Etherium while looking for some furniture investments.
Old 05-18-2021, 10:46 PM   #140
Give me a forum ...

Location: Spending the Kids Inheritance and living in Chicago
Quote:
Originally Posted by dirtbiker View Post
My $1k of doge is now sitting at $5000. I probably should have sold it at $6500 this morning, but wanted to wait until it hit $10k, which would be around $0.65. Worst case scenario, it goes to zero, and I wasted $1k. It was play money that I used for speculating anyhow, so I'm not too worried. Today is 'doge day' where it is supposed to 'go to the moon.' LOL. Looks like a bust so far. It's rather ridiculous, but fun.
I'm pretty dumb, but feel a small need to increase the wealth of early adopters.
How do I buy something like doge , since it turns out some (all?) crypto currency is not listed on the stock exchange