Join Early Retirement Today

Old 10-18-2018, 06:54 AM   #101
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Uh, oh.... not sure how much he still has, but someone's going to have problems with their ACA subsidy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fermion View Post
If they get bought I hope it is for something around $1.5B which would put the shares at $20 each and give me some extra money to pay taxes.
Guess you got your wish and then some - nice call!
bobandsherry is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-18-2018, 07:59 AM   #102

This proves that dumb luck can pay off.

Fermion, thank you!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Image-1.jpg (103.8 KB, 83 views)
Old 10-18-2018, 08:03 AM   #103
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I still had 6000 shares plus 200 shares in my Robinhood account (will post about that major win in a sec).

I am on cloud 9 right now but realize that $24 a share is only $4 more than recent highs. I bought 200 shares in Robinhood in the $17 area last month when it dropped after the offering at $18.50. It dropped last week to $15 so there was meat on the bone.

Nice to wake up today to a $48,000 gain in one's trading account though. I think I will not make out this well ever again ($330,000 total gain on a $45,000 investment in about a year).

And yes, the ACA subsidy is in a bit of trouble. I have realized gains this year already of $170,000 in taxable even without selling Endocyte. I think the deal might not close until 2019 so maybe could put off the extra gains to next year?
Fermion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2018, 08:18 AM   #104
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by tulak View Post
This proves that dumb luck can pay off.

Fermion, thank you!

Dumb luck indeed! How many of those options did you purchase? 18,000% gain? Dang you are going to get investigated by the SEC
Old 10-18-2018, 08:37 AM   #105

Quote:
Dumb luck indeed! How many of those options did you purchase? 18,000% gain? Dang you are going to get investigated by the SEC
Not enough!

The result looks way better than it actually is. I bought 12 contracts a couple of weeks ago that expire 10/19. I started selling them earlier this week, figuring something is better than nothing, and was left with only 2 contracts yesterday that I couldn't sell. I sold the other 10 for pennies on the dollar and today I'm very lucky nobody wanted the last 2 contracts.

We're talking very small dollar amounts, but more than enough to fund my beer fund for the year.

It was by chance that I even bought any contracts. I finally funded my RH account and started playing around with ECYT contracts. I was just having a little bit of fun getting used to the platform. Not a bad start!
Old 10-18-2018, 12:03 PM   #106
Dryer sheet aficionado

Great call, Fermion. I watched your posts on this way back, but didn't have the guts to do it myself. It's nice to see folks hit 'em every once in a while.
Russman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2018, 10:53 AM   #107
Recycles dryer sheets

Way to go Fermion! This put you firmly on top of the 'Beat Boho' contest for now. Hard to believe it was just a year ago we were talking about the great gains made when it got to $5/share!
kite_rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2018, 12:04 PM   #108
gone traveling

Question - I had a few shares of ECYT, I just noticed that my brokerage account shows them all as being sold on Dec 24 for $24. Why is this? I didn't ask for them to be sold, and I assumed the acquisition would just show up as me receiving X shares of NVS for each share of ECYT I held. Is that not how it worked? I wasn't expecting to have end-of-year cap gains from ECYT, now it seems I do...
Curmoodgeon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2018, 12:23 PM   #109
Give me a forum ...

Yeah well, they got bought out, not shares for shares.

I took all my gains this year 2018 anyway so I can start fresh in 2019 and maybe get a ACA subsidy.
Old 12-26-2018, 12:31 PM   #110
gone traveling

Thanks for the info. Looks like there was no way to avoid seeing a cap gain on ECYT this year (good problem to have!)
And, thanks for the original tip! I bought into ECYT based on this thread (and, of course, subsequent research of my own).
Curmoodgeon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2018, 12:42 PM   #111
Give me a forum ...

Location: Spending the Kids Inheritance and living in Chicago
Quote:
Yeah well, they got bought out, not shares for shares.

I took all my gains this year 2018 anyway so I can start fresh in 2019 and maybe get a ACA subsidy.
We are looking forward to hearing of more success, and of course the ideas you generate.
Old 12-26-2018, 02:54 PM   #112
Gone but not forgotten

Thanks Fermion ! Your tip gave me a nice Christmas bonus.
Moemg is offline   Reply With Quote