Join Early Retirement Today

How does my portfolio look?
Old 02-11-2020, 11:37 PM   #1
Dryer sheet aficionado

How does my portfolio look?

I am using SoFi Invest because I love that you can invest in fractional shares instead of buying a whole share in one lump sum. This has been very budget friendly for me, since I only have $100 per month (for now) to allocate.

I would like to know if I am making the right choices with these stocks or should I consider others? I tried to pick ones that were high dividend yields, REITs, and all the Vanguard ones that I have access to.

Trying to do all the smart things on my path to FI/RE!

Thank you in advance!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg D541228D-3448-4CB7-B699-5D34FF53CAE9.jpg (161.9 KB, 143 views)
File Type: jpg DF70C9A5-003C-4935-918A-5AEE308C4BEB.jpg (156.3 KB, 106 views)
File Type: jpg 0CFA618D-8587-4568-BB8A-1F5D31656504.jpg (158.4 KB, 98 views)
MarieL is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-12-2020, 06:31 AM   #2
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

That seems like a lot of money in stocks. I didn't put any money in individual stocks until I felt I had some "extra" to play with (that was outside of my previous retirement plan). It will also make it really difficult to maintain an asset allocation, as you'll have to rebalance among all these positions. I use one index fund and one bond fund, and that's it (with some small exceptions, like I mentioned). It's not really lazy, it's easy, which IMO is more sustainable. https://www.bogleheads.org/wiki/Lazy_portfolios
Old 02-12-2020, 07:10 AM   #3

Too many holdings. If it were me I would buy one portion of a US total stock market fund, one portion of an international stock market fund and the final portion of a total bond fund. I would probably do 65/20/15.
Old 02-12-2020, 07:17 AM   #4
Dryer sheet aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Cosmic Avenger View Post
That seems like a lot of money in stocks. I didn't put any money in individual stocks until I felt I had some "extra" to play with (that was outside of my previous retirement plan). It will also make it really difficult to maintain an asset allocation, as you'll have to rebalance among all these positions. I use one index fund and one bond fund, and that's it (with some small exceptions, like I mentioned). It's not really lazy, it's easy, which IMO is more sustainable. https://www.bogleheads.org/wiki/Lazy_portfolios
I'm not sure I understand what you mean. The only individual stock I invested in was Tesla. The rest are ETFs, index and mutual funds.

Which index and bond fund did you invest in?

The only Vanguard ones I have access to from the Bogleheads website is VTI and BND (which I'm already investing in). But I will say, I do like the Coffeehouse portfolio since it includes REITs
Old 02-12-2020, 07:20 AM   #5
Dryer sheet aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by Golden sunsets View Post
Too many holdings. If it were me I would buy one portion of a US total stock market fund, one portion of an international stock market fund and the final portion of a total bond fund. I would probably do 65/20/15.
I don't understand. How can you have too many holdings? I thought diversifying was key? Or do you mean I'm investing in more than one of the exact same holdings so it's redundant?
Old 02-12-2020, 07:30 AM   #6

Sorry, I saw TSLA and a bunch of symbols I didn't recognize (I recognized a few Vanguard symbols, even though I don't currently have an account there), and assumed a few of the others were stocks.

Right now I'm mostly 75% FXAIX (S&P 500 index fund) and 25% FXNAX (US bond fund), with a few minor exceptions. The FXAIX has an expense ratio of 0.015%, so I feel like they'll do a better job diversifying than I would for practically nothing. I thought about splitting the equity by adding a global index fund, but the ERs were higher, and I don't feel like it will add anything.

Anyway, IMO most of the index funds are plenty diversified. If you want to spend your time rebalancing among all those, then more power to you! I prefer set-it-and-forget-it portfolios...even though I like to check them often, it does make rebalancing incredibly easy.
Old 02-12-2020, 07:33 AM   #7
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I agree... way too many tickers. Just VTI would be sufficient and simpler. VTI owns over 3500 different companies... that's where your diversification is.

You could winnow it down to VTI, VXUS, BND... and if you wish TSLA.

But to be honest given the modest amount invested, just VTI or VT would be fine.

Retired Jan 2012 at age 56...target 65/35/0 AA TBD
pb4uski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2020, 07:42 AM   #8
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by pb4uski View Post
I agree... way too many tickers. Just VTI would be sufficient and simpler. VTI owns over 3500 different companies... that's where your diversification is.

You could winnow it down to VTI, VXUS, BND... and if you wish TSLA.

But to be honest given the modest amount invested, just VTI or VT would be fine.
+1.

OP, Good for you to have a solid savings plan! However, I think your current plan indicates you are over-thinking this.
HarveyS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2020, 07:44 AM   #9
Give me a forum ...

I agree with the others, way too many holdings even if you had a large nest egg. Like many here, our nest egg is 7 figures and we have 10 mutual funds. If it wasn’t for the tax impact of selling, I’d be happy with 5-6 mutual funds. Even 3 would be enough to start.

These are good models https://www.bogleheads.org/wiki/Lazy_portfolios

Target AA: 40% equity funds / 35% bond funds / 25% cash
Target WR: Approx 2.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2020, 08:02 AM   #10

I agree with the other replies, simple will be easier to maintain. If you own VTI, you already own Tesla within the fund. If you want to gamble with 5% of your money on Tesla, that is fine to have the individual stock as well. Just keep it to 5% of less of your total. I would use VTI and BND to start with until your assets reach 6 figures.

Good luck to you,

VW
Old 02-12-2020, 08:02 AM   #11

I'll join in the "too many holdings" chorus. Keep it simple. My 7 figure IRA has only had 4 index funds in it since I started it over 35 years ago.
Old 02-12-2020, 08:28 AM   #12

I am now realizing that I really should have started by saying: good for you for starting! Getting started is the hardest part, IMO, after that there's always more to learn. I've had to get used to not being an instant expert, and realizing that I could have done better if I had known about this or that earlier. Instead, I try to focus on the fact that I did start earlier than most people (not here, but in general!), and I have been doing better and better at it as I learn more.
Old 02-12-2020, 08:35 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarieL View Post
I don't understand. How can you have too many holdings? I thought diversifying was key? Or do you mean I'm investing in more than one of the exact same holdings so it's redundant?
A us stock index fund is diversification without duplication. Same with the international index fund and the bond fund.
Old 02-12-2020, 09:58 AM   #14
Dryer sheet aficionado

I like the Core Four 80/20 portfolio on Bogleheads (I've been really into REITs lately since I'm not one to do the full-on real estate stuff that I've seen a lot of people do). Would that be good to switch to for someone in their 30s trying to FIRE?

The Vanguard Total Stock Market I have access to on SoFI is: VTI and VOO. Should I do both? or is that redundant?

I assume the 'Total International Stock' are these? VEA and VWO? It doesn't explicitly say 'Total International Stock' on them, but these are the only ones I have access to on SoFi. I see companies like Alibaba and a Taiwanese company on there, so that was why I assumed that this was the alternative to the 'Total International Stock' that Bogleheads was referring to.

I have REITs (VNQ), and the Total Bond Market (BND) so it looks like I'm good there.

So I can pretty much sell the rest and allocate the 80/20 amount to those four areas?
Old 02-12-2020, 10:07 AM   #15
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarieL View Post
I like the Core Four 80/20 portfolio on Bogleheads (I've been really into REITs lately since I'm not one to do the full-on real estate stuff that I've seen a lot of people do). Would that be good to switch to for someone in their 30s trying to FIRE?

The Vanguard Total Stock Market I have access to on SoFI is: VTI and VOO. Should I do both? or is that redundant?

I assume the 'Total International Stock' are these? VEA and VWO? It doesn't explicitly say 'Total International Stock' on them, but these are the only ones I have access to on SoFi. I see companies like Alibaba and a Taiwanese company on there, so that was why I assumed that this was the alternative to the 'Total International Stock' that Bogleheads was referring to.

I have REITs (VNQ), and the Total Bond Market (BND) so it looks like I'm good there.

So I can pretty much sell the rest and allocate the 80/20 amount to those four areas?
VOO is the S&P 500.... so-called large-cap companies... 500 stocks.... VTI is the entire US stock market.... ~3500 companies.

If you are 30ish, go with VTI.... VTI alone is sufficient... no need for bonds (BND) at your age. If you would rather own the world's stocks rather than just US stocks, then you could add in some VXUS which covers stocks outside the US.

Or alternatively, VT covers both the US and foreign stocks so you could buy just that one fund if you want simple.

Either way, at 30ish one or two funds is all you really need.

Retired Jan 2012 at age 56...target 65/35/0 AA TBD
pb4uski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2020, 10:17 AM   #16
Give me a forum ...

Don't act without thinking this through OP, you are paying fees for every trade despite what the ad copy say. SoFi isn't doing this for free...

https://qz.com/1560010/is-sofi-inves...e-really-free/

I guess the only upside is your portfolio is so small the commissions and taxes won't amount to much, but you'll want to be aware of commissions, fees and taxes as your portfolio grows.

Old 02-12-2020, 10:31 AM   #17
Dryer sheet aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midpack View Post
Don't act without thinking this through OP, you are paying fees for every trade despite what the ad copy say. SoFi isn't doing this for free...

https://qz.com/1560010/is-sofi-inves...e-really-free/

I guess the only upside is your portfolio is so small the commissions and taxes won't amount to much, but you'll want to be aware of commissions, fees and taxes as your portfolio grows.

Thanks for the heads up! Yeah I wanted to start small so I can get the portfolio in order without dealing with the higher fees later on.

Btw, I realized I DO have access to more Vanguard funds (see pics)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 9E1533AC-5D29-4F64-A569-C3B0CEB99E99.jpg (143.4 KB, 25 views)
File Type: jpg 3A32EDF8-4217-4D63-B7A0-ECF31D98EB2D.jpg (145.7 KB, 25 views)
Old 02-12-2020, 10:40 AM   #18
Give me a forum ...

Don't feel bad about starting with too many holdings, that's what most new investors do. They aren't sure what to buy so they buy lots of things to compensate, and they've read diversification is good - it is but mutual funds are already more diversified than most individual investors ever could manage themselves. That's why you only need a handful of funds for a solid portfolio.

Just make a plan on what you should hold, sleep on it for a month, and then migrate over.

Old 02-12-2020, 10:45 AM   #19
Dryer sheet aficionado

Thank you so much for this advice! Yes, I’ve always read about diversification and understood it to mean what I was currently doing with my allocations. I will definitely readjust accordingly
Old 02-12-2020, 11:00 AM   #20
Full time employment: Posting here.

If you are retired and you have all day to do whatever you want, and you are relying on income from your investments to live on, the last thing you want to bother with is managing a portfolio. Better to stick all your money into one or two index funds, take whatever the market doles out, and be happy about it. [/sarcasm]

Tags
stocks