Join Early Retirement Today

How to know if investor is scamming?
Old 05-10-2021, 06:29 AM   #1
Recycles dryer sheets

How to know if investor is scamming?

I'm still looking for a new investor and have a meeting with a potential new one, but the main thing is how would I prove the current person has been unethical and or is there any recourse?

Thank you.
cloud9nd is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-10-2021, 06:35 AM   #2
Full time employment: Posting here.

Are you referring to an investor (who is going to put money into a project or development of yours) or an investment advisor (who is going to assist you in investing your money)?
If it is the latter, then you want a fee-only investment advisor who is a fiduciary. This person does not receive commissions for any investment product and as a fiduciary, your needs are number 1. A Google search should provide some reviews on advisors. If you are switching advisors, you dont need a reason to change.
erkevin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2021, 07:33 AM   #3
Recycles dryer sheets

They are an advisor but I never see profits over 6 years. I stopped adding due to trust issues and even money sitting there really no returns. Argued recently and have him saying stuff in emails that would say it should be growing but it's not. Claims 8%. I see nothing.
Old 05-10-2021, 07:46 AM   #4
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

If this is an established firm, you should be able to choose another such as Fidelity, Schwab or Vanguard and tell THEM to transfer the money into a new account. That way you could avoid this person entirely.

What types of investments are in the account?
athena53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2021, 07:47 AM   #5
Give me a forum ...

We are going to need more info here. This sounds like Madoff but I thought he died in prison.
Fermion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2021, 09:02 AM   #6
gone traveling

Sounds like someone who will be featured on "American Greed" on CNBC...
snowboarder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2021, 09:06 AM   #7
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by cloud9nd View Post
They are an advisor but I never see profits over 6 years. I stopped adding due to trust issues and even money sitting there really no returns. Argued recently and have him saying stuff in emails that would say it should be growing but it's not. Claims 8%. I see nothing.
More info is needed, but if this is true, you need to get your money out of there ASAP. The past 6 years (with the exception of March 2020) has been a tremendous bull market. If you have money in equities, you should have seen substantial gains.

If he is telling you your account is growing at 8% but the balance hasn't changed significantly, something is seriously wrong and you need to get out of there.
disneysteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2021, 09:07 AM   #8

You haven’t provided nearly enough information for us to provide any meaningful suggestions.
Ready is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2021, 09:52 AM   #9

do you have statements? do you have online visibility into your account? If so, find a local fiduciary at an established firm, take your paperwork and ask for their counsel. Proceed from there.

If you aren't making money in the market the past 7 or 8 years, you aren't in the market, or someone is skimming.

ETA: You got a lot of good advice in this similar thread, from January. What actions have you taken since then?

https://www.early-retirement.org/for...ml#post2552290
Aerides is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2021, 10:40 AM   #10

Quote:
You should have seen losses with the markets down in spring of 2020, and big gains since then. You should know what you are invested in. You need to get out now. I have used financial advisors as I would have made many mistakes from lack of knowledge, but my portfolio is at Schwab and I know exactly what is going on.

I think you need to pull your money out of there-5 years ago.
EastWest Gal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2021, 10:41 AM   #11
Give me a forum ...

Not a fan of having others tell me what to do with my money.

Just sayin' .
Old 05-11-2021, 07:05 AM   #12
Recycles dryer sheets

Thanks all.

Hundreds of thousands in for years in that account and stagnant. I would expect some compound interest. I am wondering if they are skimming off all the gains. I have made no money in that account. Private firm that uses larger platform.

New person told me they would have doubled my balance these last 5 years.

Sick to my stomach.
Old 05-11-2021, 07:37 AM   #13

Quote:
New person told me they would have doubled my balance these last 5 years.

Sick to my stomach.
Maybe, maybe not. All depends on your directives to them, and the appetite for risk you conveyed. If you said you wanted to have near-zero risk, it would be in bonds and low-growth assets. If you said medium-higher appetite, sure, over 7-8 years it should have doubled. What did you have them invest in on your behalf?
Old 05-11-2021, 08:10 AM   #14
Recycles dryer sheets

I asked for higher they say no. Medium only.
Old 05-11-2021, 08:13 AM   #15
Give me a forum ...

Do you even know what you were invested in?

Boggles my mind how much people with money to invest don't know.

Makes me think if I were a criminal, I could be friggen rich.
Fermion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2021, 08:16 AM   #16
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by easysurfer View Post
Not a fan of having others tell me what to do with my money.

Just sayin' .
+1
Old 05-11-2021, 08:19 AM   #17

Quote:
I asked for higher they say no. Medium only.
Then leave them now. Today. Go back through your other thread, and if you go to Fidelity, Vanguard, they will do it all for you. It might even be worth paying for advisory services for a year to get you started since you seem to be a bit paralyzed.
Old 05-11-2021, 08:35 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fermion View Post
Do you even know what you were invested in?

Boggles my mind how much people with money to invest don't know.

Makes me think if I were a criminal, I could be friggen rich.
Making money and keeping money and growing money are very different skills. Some people only learned, or figured out, how to make it.

In this case, I doubt that anything nefarious is going on. Seems more likely that there is just a big disconnect in expectations and goals between the OP and the investment advisor.
Old 05-11-2021, 09:07 AM   #19

Could it be possible that you are mis-reading the statements? It is very unlikely that your account value has stayed constant over the years. Could it be you are in some sort of individual bonds or structured investments and they have not come due yet?

I was talked into a structured CD (actually a select few stocks) by my banker in 2008. No way could the next 5 years not make money with the market being so low, or so I thought. Well..... it lost money in spite of the market. One of the selected stocks lost a lot of value. At the end of the agreement, because it was a structured CD, the bank did manage to make good on my initial investment/deposit.
CRLLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2021, 06:44 PM   #20
Give me a forum ...

Has OP indicated what type of investment this is? I think I saw it described as “private”(could be anything or nothing). Could be OP does not know. Lots of red flags here. I see a poster referring to market gains but can’t tell if that is the right comparison.

OP. You will get great feedback here but you need to share some details. Have you ever taken any funds out of this “investment”? Was it easy to do so? In any event If you are sick to your stomach it’s time to move on to a major investment firm. Vanguard, Fidelity, Schwab and similar are very popular with members of this forum. We gripe about trivial things but the investments performance is very transparent.