Join Early Retirement Today

HSA allocation
Old 06-23-2020, 02:43 PM   #1
Recycles dryer sheets

HSA allocation

Hi. What is your HSA allocation? I just had mine in cash until very recently and now is in Fidelity US Bond Index Fund.

I don't think I am too happy with this choice.

Hoping you can give me insights as I will learn from what your allocations are.

Thanks
Mountain skier is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-23-2020, 02:52 PM   #2
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

My HSA is 100% in Fidelity's zero total stock market. FZROX

I don't plan to use the money for a while.
jimbee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2020, 02:55 PM   #3

Don't know if this is the correct choice - but it works for me.

I keep about 5% in cash - and use it for in office copays as needed.

The rest is in Vanguard Welllington - which was the best balanced fund offered.

If I need more $ to pay bills I just transfer and wait a few days before paying the medical bills. Knock wood - haven't had that experience last year or this year. (I've posted a lot about 2015-2018 maxing out my high deductible plans deductible and max oop with kids' sports injuries and a tumor on my son's jaw that required surgery.)

The funds available are dependent on your HSA administrator. I've got Health Savings Administrators... chosen mainly because of the availability of the vanguard funds and lowish annual service charges.
Old 06-23-2020, 03:00 PM   #4

I keep 1 year max out of pocket in cash, rest in equities. I currently pay as I go building up the balance and keep my receipts if I ever need to reimburse myself to raise cash.
FLSUnFIRE is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2020, 03:01 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimbee View Post
My HSA is 100% in Fidelity's zero total stock market. FZROX

I don't plan to use the money for a while.
Same here.
cathy63 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2020, 03:07 PM   #6
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I used to be in FZROX.

Mine is in SWAN but that my not be a good answer for everyone. I view SWAN as a quasi-equity substitute with less volatility. For those not familiar with SWAN, they invest 90% in mid-term Treasuries and 10% in 12-month SPY calls to get some equity participation. YMMV.

Retired Jan 2012 at age 56
pb4uski is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2020, 03:51 PM   #7
Give me a forum ...

I own a bunch of preferred stocks and trade them and have for years. I dont consider it a health savings account. I consider it a tax free investing account. If a medical issue would arise I would pay out of pocket and stick the receipt in my envelope that has all my mickey mouse bills paid out of pocket. Maybe in 15 years I will use receipts and withdraw, or more likely use as a medicare Insurance payment slush fund.
Mulligan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2020, 05:29 PM   #8
Full time employment: Posting here.

I have 95% of my HSA in FBGRX (Blue Chip Growth Fund). It was a toss-up between that or FZROX. Over all of the investment accounts I try to maintain about a 50/50 between a growth fund and a market (S&P or Total Market) type fund. I watched FBNDX take a dip with the rest of the market, and that made me question what role it played in a portfolio. It has since recovered, as has the rest of the market.
Old 06-24-2020, 09:02 AM   #9
Recycles dryer sheets

100% TRowePrice New Horizons (Institutional Class)
sergio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2020, 09:28 AM   #10
Recycles dryer sheets

seems like moving HSA $ into equities and using as an investment vehicle is the smart choice
Mountain skier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2020, 09:34 AM   #11
Give me a forum ...

Mine is invested in individual growth stocks stocks. It has done extremely well. I wanted it to grow at least as fast as medical costs.

I have never tapped it and no longer have high deductible policy, so not currently adding.

I just have it on my "menu" of tax favored fund sources.
Montecfo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2020, 09:55 AM   #12

My HSA funds are considered of Roth type. So tIRA, Roth, and after tax are the three liquid assets types. But my AA spans all three. So, for example, I might have equities in the HSA/Roth and want to pull funds from there while the equities are "low". On the surface, that seems like a problem, but I can "sell the equities to myself" by liquidating an appreciated position in tIRA, for instance (concurrently "selling low" and "buying low" is a wash). So cash comes out without changing the AA.
sengsational is offline   Reply With Quote
HSA allocation
Old 06-24-2020, 10:07 AM   #13

HSA allocation

100% IVV
If I need to withdraw at low stock value I buy IVV in another account.
RetireAge50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2020, 10:08 AM   #14
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Montecfo View Post
Mine is invested in individual growth stocks stocks. It has done extremely well. I wanted it to grow at least as fast as medical costs.

I have never tapped it and no longer have high deductible policy, so not currently adding.

I just have it on my "menu" of tax favored fund sources.
I have been doing similar, and was keeping a tally with receipts, etc. of qualified medical spending since we opened the account in 2010. I'm wary that DW or DD would know that money can be taken out tax-free if something were to happen to me so I recently did my first ever withdrawals for all of our documented quaified medical costs from 2010 to 2019, inclusive. I'll probably do an annyal withdrawal for the prior year qualified medical expenses from now on.

I also don't want to leave too much of a balance as it would be taxable income to our kids in the year that they receive it. We have pretty close to a year's worth of nursing home care in the now and the balances should continue to grow as annual groth should exceed our Medicare Part B premiums and any qualifying medical expenses.

Old 06-24-2020, 01:10 PM   #15
Recycles dryer sheets

100% in ITOT. I've never spent any of my HSA but save receipts so I can eventually pull money out tax free.
geeky_grrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2020, 02:29 PM   #16

Our HSA's are included in our Roth AA, 85/15. Though the actual funds in the HSA may not match that AA, when added to the Roth accounts the total matches. The HSA's are treated as Roth accounts, but will be the first "Roth" funds withdrawn, to the extent our saved medical receipts allowed.
Animorph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2020, 04:06 PM   #17

Mine's at Fidelity and is 100% VTI (Vanguard Total US Stock ETF). This came up once before... I should probably move it to FZROX for the zero ER.

I'm still contributing and have never taken a distribution. I have a box full of receipts since 2008, which adds up to only about 25% of the HSA balance. Plan is to continue max contributions and collecting receipts. After 65, we'll start using it for premiums and other medical expenses.

With a box full of receipts, the HSA will function just like the Roth in our withdrawal plan. I treat the two exactly the same. If all goes according to plan, at 70, we'll have two pensions, two SS, and a big bucket of Roth/HSA.
Old 06-24-2020, 06:52 PM   #18
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cobra9777 View Post
Mine's at Fidelity and is 100% VTI (Vanguard Total US Stock ETF). This came up once before... I should probably move it to FZROX for the zero ER.

I'm still contributing and have never taken a distribution. I have a box full of receipts since 2008, which adds up to only about 25% of the HSA balance. Plan is to continue max contributions and collecting receipts. After 65, we'll start using it for premiums and other medical expenses.

With a box full of receipts, the HSA will function just like the Roth in our withdrawal plan. I treat the two exactly the same. If all goes according to plan, at 70, we'll have two pensions, two SS, and a big bucket of Roth/HSA.

Cobra, you think you have a decent HSA now. Not being political just stating a reality, you were one John McCain’s thumbs down vote from having HSA contributions doubled and insurance premiums being able to be used with HSA monies. That would have really got the receipts to add up quickly.
Mulligan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2020, 09:01 PM   #19
Give me a forum ...

Now that we’re starting to tap into our HSAs, they are invested more conservatively. They had been invested fairly aggressively until switching to Fidelity last year. That was a good time to switch to the more conservative allocations.

DH will probably use his up over the next 5 years for Medicare until SS covers his Medicare premiums. Then in a little over 4 years we’ll start tapping into mine for same.
Old 06-25-2020, 02:08 AM   #20
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by audreyh1 View Post
.... DH will probably use his up over the next 5 years for Medicare until SS covers his Medicare premiums. ...
My understanding is that even if you are having your Medicare Part B and D premiums withheld from your SS that you can still reimburse yourself for the cost of those through your HSA if you are 65 or older.