I need advice for investment

A Fidelity retirement date index fund would be the easiest choice. Pick whatever date gives you the bond exposure you would like.

I prefer to have separate stock and bond funds. FZROX with FXNAX would work nicely for that.

I also like to have international exposure. I use FSGGX, which is Global Index except for the U.S., including emerging markets.

And just to be a little different I like FSMAX with FXAIX instead of FZROX. FSMAX is a total U.S. market index minus the S&P 500, while FXAIX is the S&P 500 index. That gives me a small-cap tilt.

Summing up, I'm:
FXAIX 25%
FSMAX 25%
FSGGX 25%
FXNAX 25%

All low cost Fidelity index funds, easy to buy, sell, and exchange at will. Although they don't like you selling less than 30 days after you buy.

I would keep it VERY simple, if you feel you might still have the tendency to pull out again at the next inevitable market downturn. Either a single balanced/target retirement fund, or one broad market fund and one broad bond fund.

In addition, calculate what your reinvestment amount would look like if the market fell 50%. If you can stomach that, no issues. If not... you may not be able to handle the next downturn and might be repeating the cycle all over again. What is more important is not the fund you pick, but how you handle things during downturns.

I can’t thank you guys enough for all the great inputs and ideas. Being honest I’m planning to retire in about 3-5 years. I have already accumulated enough for my retirement and probably will leave some money for my two kids. And one thing for sure I won’t panic next time the market crashes, I won’t sell off. So a small, low fee and diversified/balanced fund list is what I’m looking for, and you guys have provided me with great tips!

Historically you do better dumping it all in at once rather than dollar cost averaging.

One often sees the term "dollar cost averaging" which I suggested earlier in this thread, and OP stated his intent was indeed to average his way back in.

This actually also fits with OP's stated objective of diversification. A recent AAII (American Association of Individual Investors) article rang a bell with me when it referred to dollar cost averaging as merely a form of "time diversification"! Brilliant concept and description. I had never thought of it that way, but it is an accurate way to look at dollar cost averaging.

The goal of diversification is to lessen the risk of putting all one's eggs in one basket. Should work with "time diversification" as with "investment vehicle diversification".

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom