Individual Stock Investors: Top 10 Holdings By %

I'm a small business owner. I just can't get overly conservative.

Is this "betting"?

In late 2019 I inherited a little over $120K. I bought ROKU and DIOD around that time and stashed $100K of it in a bond fund while I figured out what to do with it.

Then Covid hit. Seeing the opportunity I cashed out completely of the bond fund and went stock shopping. (I suspect index fund buyers are passing out right about now.) NIO, Delta Air, Expedia, Cody, AMD, FUV, etc. were my buys. I've made a killing.

Nope, that's a bridge too far for me.
For me it is like a wager, like a bet, since this brokerage account is less than 15% of portfolio.

I haven't made any killings, so I am a lousy bettor (in my mind).

Hello Target, thanks for sharing.

I also own CSCO - but I noticed your 24% - obviously that's not an accident. Care to elaborate? :)
The account is 15% of total portfolio, so CSCO (28.98%) is just a 4.37% tilt.

I do trim it each year. Some of it is gift, some inheritance.

About his telcom stocks my father-in-law said, "They give me spending money." I think of CSCO in that way.

Last edited:
I own mostly index funds, but I do have 6 shares of AMZN (about $20k currently) and 16 shares of TSLA (about $11k currently). Own a few other individual stocks but no single holding over a few thousand.

Yes, I'm mostly index funds, but in those index funds, I hold 656 shares of Apple, 315 shares of MSFT 19 shares of Amazon and 98 shares of Facebook.
Just as much fun to watch :) On Good Days!

My investment portfolio is 90% (mostly) dividend growth stocks, although I own a small position in TSLA and a couple of small positions in ETFs/mutual funds (IVV and FZIPX). At current market values, my top 10 positions as a percentage of portfolio value are:

AAPL ....... 6.03%
NEE ........ 3.78%

ABT ........ 3.31%
PG .......... 3.16%
PEP ......... 2.82%
JNJ ......... 2.79%
WEC ....... 2.61%
XEL ........ 2.50%
MMM ...... 2.48%
CMI ........ 2.43%

(Sorry about the formatting)

My investment portfolio is 90% (mostly) dividend growth stocks, although I own a small position in TSLA and a couple of small positions in ETFs/mutual funds (IVV and FZIPX). At current market values, my top 10 positions as a percentage of portfolio value are:

AAPL ....... 6.03%
NEE ........ 3.78%

ABT ........ 3.31%
PG .......... 3.16%
PEP ......... 2.82%
JNJ ......... 2.79%
WEC ....... 2.61%
XEL ........ 2.50%
MMM ...... 2.48%
CMI ........ 2.43%

Formatting looks fine to me!
I also own AAPL- JNJ- WEC- TSLA & although it doesn't quite make my top 10
MMM

Code:
[FONT="Courier New"]AAPL ....... 6.03%
NEE ........ 3.78%

ABT ........ 3.31%
PG .......... 3.16%
PEP ......... 2.82%
JNJ ......... 2.79%
WEC ....... 2.61%
XEL ........  2.50%
MMM ......  2.48%
CMI ........ 2.43%
[/FONT]

That formatting looks fine.

If the info comes from a spreadsheet you can copy and paste here. Then select just that text and wrap with the TABLE tag you see in the menu. It will end up looking like this.
INT'L -> VXUS49%
SM/MID -> VXF11%
SVF -> VUSB40%
You don't see the tabs when you paste this, and it looks crazy while your creating the post. But the tabs are there, and easy to remove if you're not careful editing your post.

Maybe 10-15% in these combined.

Bought into BIDU & VIAC at end of day, today...

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210813-164101.jpg
    Screenshot_20210813-164101.jpg
    238.5 KB · Views: 42
Of my investments, 41% are in individual stocks and ETFs. Last check my total was around 1.6Mil, and here is the top ten. Definitely top heavy, but I do feel confident in it.

TSLA38.8%
IHI5.1%
AMT4.2%
JNJ3.9%
TGT3.9%
NEE3.7%
WTRG3.6%
KO2.6%
UNH2.4%
AMP2.0%

Individual stocks and ETFs are about 3% of my equity investments. I have 13. About half the value is in MSFT and ORCL. I have owned these since the mid-90s.

Based in Quicken's portfolio X-Ray feature, the two biggest stocks I own in the funds and ETFs I have are AAPL and AMZN.

I own a variety of mostly index funds and a few individual stocks. My largest holding by far is AAPL.

About 10% of my total investment portfolio not including real estate or private mortgage notes I hold.

It’s a pretty big chunk but the costs of selling are too great based on my current tax bracket and it’s never done me wrong so I hold onto it.

I have a lot in Disney which I see as a strong company held back by the pandemic and expect it to grow once we get through the mutations.

I also have Microsoft, JP Morgan, Bank of America, Ford

A Vanguard Bond Treasury fund and a Bond Fund

Same here. Ballpark - 84% balanced index (Vanguard) roughly 40/60 stock/bond - I'm 78. AND the rest 34 stocks - an eclectic mixture of dividend and Motley Fool Stock Advisor ones.

Ballooned up from 5% and a lot added during lock down from Covid cause we're not spending travel/entertainment/dining out.

This too shall pass. Any barn burners emerge from the pack I will let ride. Also my lead team this year will be The Chiefs since I'm 15 years removed from the Saint's with no immediate plans to move back. DW thinks I should become a born again 'flatlander.'

Heh heh heh - I can't pick 10 favorites let alone place any outsize bets at this time. Perhaps later in the season. :rolleyes: :facepalm:

I've been selling off most of my individual stocks and buying ETF and market indexes. But here's my top ten left:

BX 5.1%

MSFT 4.9%

SO 3.8%

SYSCO 2.4%

MCD 2.2%

QCOM 2.2%

VZ 1.9%

AMZN 1.6%

ABBV 1.8%

DX 1.6%

Last edited:
Roughly half my investments are in individual stocks. Though I am not in an investment club, I use stock study tools that many clubs use.

ABT & ABBV predominate because that was my former employer. I've trimmed some over the years, but not enough to make a dent.

ABT 16% of individual stocks
ABBV 16
FAST 10
FDS 9
FISV 5
FFWM 2.5
GILD 2.5
GMAB 4
HD 9
NVO 9
OHI 4
STOR 4
TROW 10

I have mutual funds but lately I fear inflation may get out of hand due to the government spending like there is no tomorrow.

Bonds are a traditional hedge against a bear market but bonds do not offer protection against inflation. I purchased VCMDX as my inflation hedge. VCMDX involve derivatives so it involves high risk/high reward. If inflation do occur, VCMDX will increase in value significantly to offset the lower buying power of my mutual fund investments.

I have been extremely successful with stocks. I won't outline my holdings here, but I am weighted far from what most advisors would suggest.

Around 40% of my portfolio is one single stock, and another 30% in 3 single stocks, with the remaining 30% spread across much smaller holdings and ETFs.

I am not suggesting this structure for most people - most are far better of being diversified or just using index ETFs. However, if you really know what you are doing, (or if you are just plain lucky) obviously then obviously more concentrated investments are the way to go.

Just curious when you ask for % are you asking for the percentage each stock represents to all of one's stock holdings or the % of one's total assets?

It seems to me that % to one's total stock holdings is more relevant.

By way of example, if one's assets are held evenly in bonds, real estate, stocks and cash (MM or CDs etc...), a stock with a value of $50,000 in a 1MM total portfolio would only represent 5% but it would represent 25% in the stock portfolio.

Snap-On Tools - SNA (5% of total assets)
Norwegian Cruise Lines - NCLH (2%)
Carnival Cruise Lines (UK shares) - CUK (2%)

Most of the rest of my holdings are VTSAX (~80%), TSP G-fund (~8%), and some cash (2%).

All purchased between March and May 2020 as speculative buys post COVID. Of those, SNA is the biggest winner thus far, but suspect that CUK and NCLH will overcome in the next couple of years. Was lucky enough to call the bottom on SNA at $95, had a 60-day sell order at $270 but that never materialized. Called bottom on NCLH, too, not quite on CUK, but both are doing well and haven't even started coming back yet.

These buys were largely through the lens of "One Up on Wall Street"... at the time I was running a charter bus company and seeing what COVID was doing to these otherwise good companies. SNA rebounded very quickly... the victim of bad news... and then COVID... but came roaring back.

I might start doing more individual stock investing in my Roth IRA (where all my individual stock holdings are). It's fun, I have had more winners than losers against the S&P in my lifetime (AT&T most recently was a loser, but still returned a 6% dividend so it wasn't bad).

Last edited:
In a taxable account I have a focused, tightly managed portfolio of 14 stocks which produce about 40% of current my income (in the form of dividends/distributions). The other 60% is in fixed income. Therefore, I am able to take on a bit more risk in the equities side of the equation. So far, it has worked well over 23 years of accumulation and 6 additional years in FIRE. (Also 5 MFs with Vanguard in Trad/Roth IRAs that haven't been touched yet and aren't reflected in my percentages below.)

JNJ JOHNSON & JOHNSON 16.20%
ARCC ARES CAPITAL CORP 15.00%
MAIN MAIN STREET CAPITAL 13.32%
ABT ABBOTT LABORATORIES 11.34%
ABBV ABBVIE INC 10.76%
MSFT MICROSOFT CORP 7.20%
PG PROCTER & GAMBLE 6.53%
O REALTY INCM CORP REIT 6.50%
PM PHILIP MORRIS INTL 4.62%
MCD MCDONALDS CORP 2.71%
MO ALTRIA GROUP INC 2.21%
MDLZ MONDELEZ INTL CLASS A 1.44%
PFE PFIZER INC 1.16%
PRU PRUDENTIAL FINL 0.31%

-BB

Last edited:
UNH - UnitedHealth 90k
TSLA - Tesla 20k
ABNB - Airbnb 10k
SQ - Square 10k
VRSK - Verisk 8k
DD - Dupont 7k
SHAK - Shake Shack 4k
SPOT - Spotify 3k
NKE - Nike 3k
AIG - AIG 3k

I have roughly $700k invested (I would say about 500k in mutual funds/etfs and 200k in individual stocks)

I have not really bought any individual stocks since 2016, mostly just index funds for me now in my old age

My top stocks (all in an IRA) would be:
Salesforce 30%
Coca Cola 10%
Qualcomm 10%
Verizon 10%
The rest are in retail index funds (10%) and PIMCO TIPS (30%)

(The market makes up about 20% of our investment portfolio. The rest is in RE)

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom