Individual Stock Investors: Top 10 Holdings By %

ownyourfuture

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
**I didn't start this thread to debate active investing vs index funds**
Just thought it would be interesting to see the mix of stocks others own.

This is a taxable account, but 401(k)s, IRAs, etc. are fine as well.
If you decide to post, but would like to include mutual funds, ETFs, etc, that would be included in your top 10, feel free to do so.

I have 2 of those that would be included in my list, but chose to stick with stocks only.

J & J: 10.87%
Eli Lilly: 10.36%
Apple: 9.30%
Crown Holdings: 8.24%
Tesla: 7.25%

American Water Works: 6.42%
National Health Investors REIT: 4.28%
WEC Energy: 3.39%
Realty Income REIT: 3.14%
Intel: 2.69%

I'm a total novice with stocks - but for a few phases I had starting when I was 14. I've only retired 5 months ago@46 and am still putting my 'plan' in place. But, and I'm sure this will be embarrassing, here are the top 10 individual stocks I own. I"m quoting them as percentage of total net worth. (Net worth doesn't include primary residence)

GM: 5.1%
KO: 1.45%
AAPL: 1.4%
GOOG: 1.2%
AMZN: 1.2%

F: 1.2%
MSFT: 1.0%
FB: 1.0%
RF: 0.9% (Regions Financial)
CAT: .65%

My largest holding isn't a stock - it's VWINX@ 6.5%

There's many others I own, that I *wish* I had more of , and still might do it:

Honorable mentions that didn't make the top 10:

General Dynamics, TGT, MCD, WMT, ACC (Reit) PEP, Phillip Morris, CSCO, BMY, MRK, DOW, IBM, LUV,, GE .......and Jerry Mathers, as the Beaver.

I feel I have too many. I feel it's too many to do homework properly on. And I feel a possible home-run is missed because of not having enough in a home-run stock. BUT -- I also feel - - what's wrong with having risk spread out?

Right now, I forsee my plan being this:

48% stocks and stock mutual funds
6% bonds (via VWINX)
25% cash
21%: Rental Homes

The stock and bond portfolio.....

I think about 50% mutual funds, 50% individual stocks.

I think the cash - is high. But I feel it prevents me from panic-selling, AND - - I would always know that there's some money to buy on the dips....but the MAX I'd want in stocks is 58% but that would truly have to be pretty decent dips to buy on, to get to 58%.

100% equities since 1993. Recently started replacing some individual stocks with low cost ETFs that include them.

BIP 27%
BEP 20%
BAM 3%
SCHD 25% (etf)
VYM 25% (etf)

You realize that various mutual/index funds hold a lot of stocks in the end so "top 10" individual stocks also applies to mutual/index fund investors. It just takes a little longer to find out the "Top 10" for those people.

Having said that I will play, I only own one individual stock in my brokerage account(s):
BRK-B: About 30% of all stock holdings.

The rest of 70% is in S&P 500 Index fund.

MA for me got into the 15% range because it did so well. I've trimmed it back to about 10%.

**I didn't start this thread to debate active investing vs index funds**

Probably should be a disclaimer in most threads in the "Stock Picking" forum.

Here's mine, stocks only:

NIO (Chinese EV maker).....14.5% (bought when Covid started; up 1,127%)
ROKU (Streaming Tech)....... 6.6% (up 268%)
DAL (Delta Airlines).............6.2% (bought when Covid started, up 75%)
EXPE (Expedia)...................4.9% (bought when Covid started, up 162%)
AMD (Chip maker)...............3.8% (bought when Covid started, up 149%, currently is on fire)
UMC (Chip maker)...............3.5%
DIOD (Elect. components)....2.7%
CODY (cosmetics)................2.7% (bought when Covid started, up 134%)
LI (Chinese EV maker).........2.6%
FUV (utility EV maker).........2.5%

Last edited:
Here is part 1 of 2. I would call this one, "I've Got a Lot of Living To Do". :dance:
Top 10 is about 60% of the account. Performance is 13% in 5 months.

Attachments

• capture.JPG
    capture.JPG
    66.7 KB · Views: 129
Here is part 2 of 2. I would call this one "Papa's Got a Brand New Bag." :wiseone:
Top 10 is about 56% of the account. Performance is 13% YTD, and 12% since 6/2014.

Attachments

• capture.JPG
    capture.JPG
    34.5 KB · Views: 432
Probably should be a disclaimer in most threads in the "Stock Picking" forum.

Here's mine, stocks only:

NIO (Chinese EV maker).....14.5% (bought when Covid started; up 1,127%)
ROKU (Streaming Tech)....... 6.6% (up 268%)
DAL (Delta Airlines).............6.2% (bought when Covid started, up 75%)
EXPE (Expedia)...................4.9% (bought when Covid started, up 162%)
AMD (Chip maker)...............3.8% (bought when Covid started, up 149%, currently is on fire)
UMC (Chip maker)...............3.5%
DIOD (Elect. components)....2.7%
CODY (cosmetics)................2.7% (bought when Covid started, up 134%)
LI (Chinese EV maker).........2.6%
FUV (utility EV maker).........2.5%
I like yours too! You are betting like a young person.
I suspect you may hold some crypto. :D

I like yours too! You are betting like a young person.

I'm a small business owner. I just can't get overly conservative.

Is this "betting"?

In late 2019 I inherited a little over $120K. I bought ROKU and DIOD around that time and stashed $100K of it in a bond fund while I figured out what to do with it.

Then Covid hit. Seeing the opportunity I cashed out completely of the bond fund and went stock shopping. (I suspect index fund buyers are passing out right about now.) NIO, Delta Air, Expedia, Cody, AMD, FUV, etc. were my buys. I've made a killing.

I suspect you may hold some crypto. :D

Nope, that's a bridge too far for me.

I currently own 44 individual stocks that make up 40.8% of my total net worth (excluding real estate). The other 59.2% is in index funds. So, here are my top 10 stock holding with the % of stocks/% of total

NVDA - 29.1%/11.9%
FB - 9.2%/3.8%
MS - 4.4%/1.8%
FITB - 4.2%/1.7%
AAPL - 4%/1.6%
ABBV - 3.7%/1.5%
NLY - 3%/1.2%
MCD - 2.6%/1.1%
MSFT - 2.6%/1.1%
CAT - 2.3%/1%

My top individual stocks:

TSLA
MSFT
LLY
PAYX
JNJ
MCHP
O (REIT)
GIS
MMM
KO

Strongly lean towards dividend payers, with the exception of TSLA.

Mine:

APPL
GOOGL
MO
PLTR
TSLA

MO and PLTR are trades for option premiums. Apple and Google are long term, decade or more, holdings.

Last edited:
Hello Target, thanks for sharing.

I also own CSCO - but I noticed your 24% - obviously that's not an accident. Care to elaborate? :)

I'll play..

AA
DAL
MGP
STWD
- These four were purchased Mar/Apr 2020, and will soon be off the books as I am moving out of the Travel & Leisure market. Although with the MGP/VICI deal, I will be looking at that closely to see if I want to hold for a while longer.

OMF
ONEQ (FIDO NASDAQ ETF)
GILD
NLY
APPL
NVDA

- I don't yet have an exit strategy with these six yet.

Other than ETFs (VTI, VYM) -- OKE, KMI, SO

O, JNJ, XOM, GILD, ABBV, MO, PG, DUK, LMT (dividend producers)

Currently own:

TSLA (long-term), FUV (Arcimoto), BTBT (Bit Digital), SLI (Standard Lithium) and
HMLP (Hoegh Lng).

Not directly answering the question: 18% of my net worth is invested in individual common stocks. Another 5% is in preferred stocks/baby bonds that I selected. The rest of my equity allocation is in ETFs or mutual funds.

Top five holdings are (year of predominant purchase): Apple (2012), Loews(1999), Berkshire (2000), WalMart (1994), and Clorox(1999).

UPS
HD
C
MMM
CVS
IBM
KO
MRK
VZ
KMB

Primary chosen to generate dividends. Total individual stocks as a percentage of my entire portfolio is about 8%. I’m pretty conservative at about 30/70 AA. So the individual stocks make up about 27% of my stock holdings.

My individual stocks are just a tiny portion of our savings, less than 2%, but they are fun to watch. Currently only holding:

SQ
FB
SIRI
NFLX

I own small positions in the following stocks;

OKE (Energy)
F (Auto)
EPD (MLP)
OHC (REIT)
MRNA (Drug)
VZ (Telco)

If my GM Put option is given to me, I will own some GM

I have about 10 Preferred stocks which I have owned for years paying 5 - 8%

I have one MLP ETF and one energy fund, both paying about 4% dividends.

I have a position in SCHB (ETF)

All of the above represents about 30% of my portfolio. The rest is in muni bond funds and cash.

I own mostly index funds, but I do have 6 shares of AMZN (about $20k currently) and 16 shares of TSLA (about $11k currently). Own a few other individual stocks but no single holding over a few thousand.

Back
Top Bottom