Join Early Retirement Today
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Insider stock purchases
Old 04-04-2020, 09:52 PM   #1
Recycles dryer sheets
GreenEggs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2019
Posts: 154
Insider stock purchases

Do you pay attention to large insider stock purchases when looking for stocks to buy? I've recently been looking for recent large purchases and have found a few that seem interesting.

Why would company executives and board members purchase millions of dollars of their stock if they didn't expect to profit well from it?
__________________

GreenEggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-04-2020, 10:05 PM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
Sunset's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Spending the Kids Inheritance and living in Chicago
Posts: 9,153
Unless they know something about the future, it might just be a "signal" to the other shareholders, employees, etc that everything is great. A confidence booster.

It would mean more if they purchase it at the market rate, and not a discount rate.
__________________

__________________
Fortune favors the prepared mind. ... Louis Pasteur
Sunset is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2020, 10:19 PM   #3
Recycles dryer sheets
GreenEggs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2019
Posts: 154
If an insider knew that the company was planning to repurchase its shares that would be a good reason to buy up a lot of shares, right?
GreenEggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2020, 10:21 PM   #4
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
Sunset's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Spending the Kids Inheritance and living in Chicago
Posts: 9,153
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenEggs View Post
If an insider knew that the company was planning to repurchase its shares that would be a good reason to buy up a lot of shares, right?
I don't think so, companies always announce they are going to spend up to X Million/Billion buying up their own stock. Usually when it's super high priced.
__________________
Fortune favors the prepared mind. ... Louis Pasteur
Sunset is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2020, 05:29 AM   #5
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Posts: 10,109
It could be a desperate attempt to get an outsider to buy the company and keep it afloat and stave off bankruptcy.

It is an extremely well-known behavioral finance trap that folks will choose the solution with even a 5% chance of succeeding over the 95% probability that things are going under. It is the premise of many movies. But this ain't Hollywood anymore.
LOL! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2020, 06:44 AM   #6
Recycles dryer sheets
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Location: Chicago
Posts: 243
I've tried this in the past with no success. Without hard data, I agree with earlier posts. I would also add that perhaps the "purchases" are just options exercises or grants of stock from the board that were already made and priced into the stock by those with a more detailed analysis.
Insider buys are a good sign, but there needs to be more.
HarveyS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2020, 07:04 AM   #7
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Coronado
Posts: 1,667
Insiders can't just go out and buy a large block of their own company's stock without running afoul of the SEC. A large buy is usually part of a 10b5-1 plan. https://www.investopedia.com/terms/r/rule-10b5-1.asp
cathy63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2020, 08:02 AM   #8
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 1,531
Quote:
Originally Posted by cathy63 View Post
Insiders can't just go out and buy a large block of their own company's stock without running afoul of the SEC. A large buy is usually part of a 10b5-1 plan. https://www.investopedia.com/terms/r/rule-10b5-1.asp
Insiders merely need to file a Form 4 https://www.investopedia.com/terms/f/form4.asp with the SEC within 2 business days after their transaction (buy or sell), though I have periodically seen some go well beyond the 2 day filing rule and there is never any enforcement action. There is no stipulation regarding how much they may buy or sell. However, should an insider make a very large buy or sell, it could attract scrutiny if he/she was in possession of material non-public information.

Generally, companies have blackout periods where insiders cannot initiate any transactions. An example of this is the period a few weeks before end of quarter up until public announcement of the quarterly earnings, where they are in possession of material non-public information.

The 10b5-1 plan allows the insider to have transactions take place at any time, including times where they normally would not be allowed to occur. In the example above, where transactions may be forbidden during the weeks before/after end of quarter, if a 10b5-1 plan is in place which specifies in advance the parameters which shares are to be bought/sold, then that takes precedence over the blackout which may be in effect, because it is generally done well in advance. The plans, when initiated, generally are in effect for a period of a year or more, or up until some fixed number of shares have been bought/sold.

Also, be aware, 10b5-1 plans are most always not filed with the SEC. You cannot go to sec.gov and search for insider 10b5-1 plans, where it is trivial to search for Form 4's. I have seen a handful of insiders attach their 10b5-1 plans to an 8-K filing for purposes of advertising it, so other investors would take notice. In the cases where I've seen this done, it was by unscrupulous insiders who were trying con investors, which eventually became clear.

So, an investor may not be aware that a 10b5-1 plan is in place if the insider or company has not made it known. Generally, if not made known by the insider when initiated, it will be specified in the Explanation of Responses section of the Form 4 when transactions take place. Filing of the Form 4 is always mandatory.

Here is an example:
https://www.sec.gov/Archives/edgar/d...5X03/form4.xml

Quote:
Explanation of Responses:
1. This transaction was effected pursuant to a Rule 10b5-1 trading plan adopted by the reporting person.
njhowie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2020, 08:23 AM   #9
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 1,531
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarveyS View Post
I've tried this in the past with no success. Without hard data, I agree with earlier posts. I would also add that perhaps the "purchases" are just options exercises or grants of stock from the board that were already made and priced into the stock by those with a more detailed analysis.
Insider buys are a good sign, but there needs to be more.
All of this information is readily available from the SEC at sec.gov. The Form 4 filings are explicit as to the type of transaction, whether a market purchase, option exercise, or grant/award.

I track insider transactions very closely - wrote software years ago which tracks them and generates daily reports on them to this day.

One way which the insider will look to "hide" intent is by making a purchase just prior to or just after a stock award/grant, where the purchase becomes a cheap form of advertising - Form 4 filings are free and get immediate attention from websites and financial outlets which track them. So, while everyone will focus on an insider purchase of 10,000 shares, he/she may have received 100,000 shares for free just prior to or after the purchase - making their effective purchase price 10 cents on the dollar (in this example). You almost never see an insider transaction publicized relative to their other non-outright purchases/sales. Again, in the case of a purchase, it can be a cheap form of advertising, looking to entice others to buy.
__________________

njhowie is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Sequence of stock purchases during accumulation BreathFree FIRE and Money 0 10-03-2018 03:34 PM
'60 Minutes' Congress: Trading Stock On Insider Info? wildcat FIRE Related Public Policy 49 11-16-2011 03:45 PM
Insider stock purchases highest in four years chinaco FIRE and Money 5 08-31-2007 11:09 AM

» Quick Links

 
All times are GMT -6. The time now is 12:10 AM.
 
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
×