Join Early Retirement Today

Old 07-22-2022, 03:22 PM   #21
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

One person here used a weighted figure of 30% of the 4% withdrawal (adjusted for inflation) calculation, 70% of 4% of the beginning of year balance. I complicate that by taking a minimum of the that and the straight 4% figure and use 3.5% instead of 4%. I'm actually staying a bit below that but that's OK- I don't have any other expensive "wants" and it's good to have a Stuff Happens cushion.
athena53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-22-2022, 03:28 PM   #22
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by athena53 View Post
One person here used a weighted figure of 30% of the 4% withdrawal (adjusted for inflation) calculation, 70% of 4% of the beginning of year balance. I complicate that by taking a minimum of the that and the straight 4% figure and use 3.5% instead of 4%. I'm actually staying a bit below that but that's OK- I don't have any other expensive "wants" and it's good to have a Stuff Happens cushion.
Yeah, I think most of us here have ended up using less than 4% (on average.) I have always assumed that is because we (here) saved (way) too much on average. Also, those who lived through 2008 know things can happen and one needs to be flexible. YMMV

Anything which can be used can be misused. Anything which can be misused will be.
Koolau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2022, 03:43 PM   #23
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koolau View Post
Yeah, I think most of us here have ended up using less than 4% (on average.) I have always assumed that is because we (here) saved (way) too much on average. Also, those who lived through 2008 know things can happen and one needs to be flexible. YMMV

The best thing about 2008 is the fantastic run up from 2009 to the end of 2021 that made it possible for many of us to retire with more than we needed or expected, and able to live on less than 4%.
Time2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2022, 11:49 AM   #24
Dryer sheet wannabe

The thing I like about the 4% rule is that it is EASY. The best thing about it is how darn close it is to the more sophisticated financial planning calculators, which, of course it should be since those calculators are all using the same historical inputs that went into figuring out the 4% was a "safe" (zombie apocalypse aside) number.
tbis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2022, 07:09 PM   #25
Recycles dryer sheets

He must have decided to employ the 3rd party service to determine his market timing since he admitted to botching the entrance back into the market after exiting during/prior to the 2008 financial crisis.
Skyward1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2022, 05:46 AM   #26
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyward1 View Post
He must have decided to employ the 3rd party service to determine his market timing since he admitted to botching the entrance back into the market after exiting during/prior to the 2008 financial crisis.
That was me - I got out within 7% of top in 2007-2008, but didn’t get back in till it was nearly entirely back. Adjusted for dividends I did exactly the market, although I suppose I slept a bit better.

3-5% works well as long as you have flexibility for a third deviation left tail event (cut back for a couple years, work part time, etc). I’ll be able to get away from a higher than 4% “withdraw” simply because my rentals generate 7% from their current equity value in cash alone (not including principal pay down or appreciation).
Magus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2022, 05:17 PM   #27
Recycles dryer sheets

I do wish Rob would have asked what he spends and what does he have for income? Assuming his family gets SS and perhaps an annuity, he might not need to tap the portfolio? So while it's easy to call him a hypocrite, the bottom line is it's his decision.

I also think there's a big difference between a true market timer vs someone who is strictly trying to limit losses. For ex. I've been in cash vs bonds. I'm not trying to win as much as trying not to lose.
Old 08-04-2022, 05:08 PM   #28
Give me a forum ...

Location: South Texas~29N/98W Just West of Woman Hollering Creek
We all understand that the 4% rule is no more than a guide to start out with. I doubt anyone really follows it to a T. It is a good place to start if you are in your 20s and have no clue.

Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read. Groucho Marx

In dire need of: faster horses, younger woman, older whiskey, more money.
mickeyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2022, 06:48 PM   #29
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by mickeyd View Post
We all understand that the 4% rule is no more than a guide to start out with. I doubt anyone really follows it to a T. It is a good place to start if you are in your 20s and have no clue.
I agree it's a guide. It's too bad it isn't called "The 4% idea" or "The 4% plan" or something softer. You throw the word rule in there, and suddenly many people -do- consider it rock solid. I wish it wasn't called a "rule". I've seen many people (some even on here) plan on that 4% as rock solid. "Rock solid" and "future financial planning" don't play very well together!
Old 08-05-2022, 05:02 AM   #30
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by arcyallen View Post
I agree it's a guide. It's too bad it isn't called "The 4% idea" or "The 4% plan" or something softer. You throw the word rule in there, and suddenly many people -do- consider it rock solid. I wish it wasn't called a "rule". I've seen many people (some even on here) plan on that 4% as rock solid. "Rock solid" and "future financial planning" don't play very well together!

I started using, "The 4% guide".
Time2 is offline   Reply With Quote