Join Early Retirement Today

Intraday prices for Mutual Funds (VGSIX)?
Old 04-19-2010, 01:30 PM   #1
Recycles dryer sheets

Intraday prices for Mutual Funds (VGSIX)?

Hi,

We bought VGSIX in 2006 and have been adding 401k contributions since then. Due to luck in timing of contributions, the personal return has been good (13%) and now this represents over 10% of net worth and much more excl own home. So I think conventional asset allocation wisdom says it is time to sell some and Financial planner wants me to balance within this account from 100% down to 22%.

My question is: Would you have any sources for intraday prices for VGSIX? It is quite volatile so a day's change could make a significant difference. I asked Vanguard and they said look at the general stockmarket. I figured that someone must do a weighted index value... but cannot find one.

I am in the process of forming an overall informed investment strategy, but certainly don't have one at the moment. I would also be very interested in any comments telling me reasons not to sell - as I believe in it long term... and sharp downs don't worry me so long as they are <<< than the long ramps up.

Thanks.
SVHoper is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-19-2010, 01:35 PM   #2
Full time employment: Posting here.

You can watch VNQ, which is the ETF version of the same index fund, to get the minute-to-minute price.

VNQ Vanguard REIT Index ETF, etf, quote, price, shares - Morningstar

I don't own any REITs yet. I don't understand why the value of this fund is still so high. I think commercial real estate will be in bad shape for years.

There are a ton of baby boomers retiring soon and I would think the value of most real estate will be hurt by it. Retirement areas and health care I would think will be the exceptions.

If you compare the US to other countries we have way more retail space available per citizen by huge percentages. I think we are very overbuilt for that kind of commercial real estate.

I wanted to add that I think VNQ is so volatile because lots of people are trading it, instead of buy and hold investors. I also think that is why the share price is not lower. Traders can drive the price up or down irrespective of actual worth. Just think back on the Oil market in 2007 or 2008. Oil went to like 140 or something crazy like that while the whole world was contracting and we were going into a global recession.
ESRwannabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2010, 01:35 PM   #3
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVHoper View Post
I would also be very interested in any comments telling me reasons not to sell - as I believe in it long term... and sharp downs don't worry me so long as they are <<< than the long ramps up.

Thanks.
If you are long way from retiring (> 10 years), and sharp downs really do not bother you,(and protracted and deep downturns) and you do not have valuation worries, then the long term history of the US stock market is supportive of holding. Realize that the way it happened in 2008 and 2009 is not the only possibility in the deck.

Is this in a tax deferred account or taxable?

Ha
Old 04-19-2010, 01:56 PM   #4
Recycles dryer sheets

Wow that was quick... thanks so much, ESRwannabe. Interestingly overlaying VNQ over VGSIX in finance.google.com is almost perfect, but not quite (certainly good enuff for me).

HaHa: It is tax deferred account. I don't know how to value it... that is how I found this forum - trying to understand magnitude of recent runup. Yield of 3.8% sounds low, so I expect some levelling off (maybe fall) compared to times when yield was 8% But I know I don't know enuff to time market... so in general have been buying and hangin-on... and just using new 401k contributions to DCA.

I think we are 10+ years from retirement, but also know plans can change in a split second (accident etc).
Old 04-19-2010, 05:32 PM   #5
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

The overlay of VGSIX and VNQ should be perfect. They are different share classes of the EXACT SAME fund. Any differences would be minor based on the differences in expense ratios and perhaps the premium/discount to NAV of the ETF share class.

You should have rebalanced out last week when it was 5% higher.
LOL! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2010, 09:16 AM   #6
Recycles dryer sheets

Nah... HaHa said I can keep it