investing for Income is becoming more important than investing for capital gains

I do not track individual trades, because I make many of them through the years. Win some, lose some.

But each year, I compare my performance to buy/hold the S&P using roughly the same stock AA of 70-75%. Some years I did well, some years I did not. It was more than trading, but also the effect of picking individual stocks.

For longer periods, I would need to work out the effects of money flow in/out, and I did not keep good records of that prior to retiring.

Starting from when I had no earned income, I had to track everything better to avoid living under a bridge in old age. I have not sit down to do a detailed analysis with that data.

Some day, when I feel like it, I will do the above.

Last edited:
... But each year, I compare my performance to buy/hold the S&P using roughly the same stock AA of 70-75%. Some years I did well, some years I did not. ...
This could be misleading unless you are buying exclusively US large cap companies. I use the Russell 3000 or the ACWI as benchmarks because they capture everything.

Back
Top Bottom