Join Early Retirement Today

Old 02-19-2019, 11:12 AM   #21
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuckanut View Post
I must admit that when the market was pushing -20% last year, I did nibble a bit by taking a small amount of cash and using it to hopefully enhance my future return. That's about as close to timing the market as I get.
rebalance more frequently. I refer to it as opportunistic rebalancing rather than market timing.... in fact, I just put in a couple opportunistic rebalancing trades a few minutes ago.

Retired Jan 2012 at age 56
pb4uski is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-19-2019, 11:31 AM   #22
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by pb4uski View Post
rebalance more frequently. I refer to it as opportunistic rebalancing rather than market timing.... in fact, I just put in a couple opportunistic rebalancing trades a few minutes ago.
On the surface, market timing is anticipating what the market will do. Rebalancing is reacting to what already happens. And I have been guilty of both.

But really, rebalancing is also market timing. You are expecting that the market or a sector or the relative valuation of stocks with respect to bonds will revert to the long-term mean.

And so, rebalancing is still a prediction of the future, although that is based in the past and not a pure speculation about something that has no precedent such as bitcoins.

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
NW-Bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2019, 11:38 AM   #23
Give me a forum ...

I guess that I could describe my opportunistic rebalancing as trying to take advantage of minor market gyrations... I've done it both on the upside (more frequent rebalancing when I "feel" that the market is ahead of itself or has gone up too quickly) and on the downside (like when the market to a good dip after the Brexit vote).

Old 02-19-2019, 11:46 AM   #24
Give me a forum ...

And I have done the above more often than most, along with LOL.

And the results have been mixed. But I have fun doing this.

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
Old 02-19-2019, 11:48 AM   #25
Give me a forum ...

It's easier for me because I don't try to track the results of my opportunistic rebalancing decisions.

Old 02-19-2019, 12:36 PM   #26
Give me a forum ...

I do not track individual trades, because I make many of them through the years. Win some, lose some.

But each year, I compare my performance to buy/hold the S&P using roughly the same stock AA of 70-75%. Some years I did well, some years I did not. It was more than trading, but also the effect of picking individual stocks.

For longer periods, I would need to work out the effects of money flow in/out, and I did not keep good records of that prior to retiring.

Starting from when I had no earned income, I had to track everything better to avoid living under a bridge in old age. I have not sit down to do a detailed analysis with that data.

Some day, when I feel like it, I will do the above.

Old 02-19-2019, 12:44 PM   #27
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-Bound View Post
... But each year, I compare my performance to buy/hold the S&P using roughly the same stock AA of 70-75%. Some years I did well, some years I did not. ...
This could be misleading unless you are buying exclusively US large cap companies. I use the Russell 3000 or the ACWI as benchmarks because they capture everything.
OldShooter is offline   Reply With Quote