Join Early Retirement Today

Is Merrill a buy today?
Old 09-15-2008, 11:22 AM   #1
Recycles dryer sheets

Is Merrill a buy today?

Merrill is not up much now and BOA is being hit hard.

any buyers?
Florida is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-15-2008, 11:57 AM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

No..........

This Thread is USELESS without pics.........:)
FinanceDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2008, 12:06 PM   #3
Give me a forum ...

Yeah, you dont need a magic 8 ball for this one. Unless it always comes up "ask again later..."
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2008, 12:12 PM   #4
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by cute fuzzy bunny View Post
Yeah, you dont need a magic 8 ball for this one. Unless it always comes up "ask again later..."
How about shorting Merrill and buying gobs of Lehman?? That's what the CNBC folks will be along to advise shortly.........

Question: Who has ruined more investors?:

a)CNBC

b)Rogue brokers

c)the Federal Reserve

d)all of the above

Old 09-15-2008, 12:15 PM   #5
Give me a forum ...

I'll take "a" for $600, Alex?

Of course , c) is going to do a pretty good job on lots of people who werent even investors.
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
Old 09-15-2008, 12:41 PM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by FinanceDude View Post
Considering that BofA is doing this deal as an all-stock swap, I think that this nothing-down transaction bears a frightening resemblance to the AOL-TimeWarner "merger".

I remember the great customer-relations jobl BofA did at consolidating all the regional banks that they sucked up in the 1990s. Does anyone think they can do it simultaneously with a subprime mortgage lender and an investment bank?

Ah, but what's that hopeful refrain again? "Golly, just look at their YIELD!!"

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2008, 12:47 PM   #7
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

how did BofA handle US Trust or Northern Trust? forgot the exact name.

last i heard was a lot of the big rich clients wanted to leave because BoA wanted to start passing on the ATM fees to them
al_bundy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2008, 12:59 PM   #8

If you want to own BAC, buying MER may be a better way to do it (assuming the deal closes, which it most likely will). As I understand it, each MER share will convert into 0.86 sh of BAC. Current prices are:

BAC 27.40

0.86 x 27.40 = 23.56

MER 19.20

So, at current prices, you save 4.36 (less any dividend differentials) by buying MER instead of buying BAC
FIRE'd@51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2008, 01:06 PM   #9
Give me a forum ...

Unless of course the merger gets hosed and doesnt happen...

I believe thats called the 'risk premium'.
Old 09-15-2008, 01:16 PM   #10

Quote:
Unless of course the merger gets hosed and doesnt happen...

I believe thats called the 'risk premium'.
That's why I said "assuming the deal closes".

But who do you think is going to "hose it"? The Feds?
Old 09-15-2008, 01:21 PM   #11
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by FIRE'd@51 View Post

But who do you think is going to "hose it"? The Feds?
It will close....then just wait for the inevitable "dilution of earnings" that creeps in. Look at the bath Daimler took selling Chrysler, or others of note........

Old 09-15-2008, 01:27 PM   #12

Quote:
It will close....then just wait for the inevitable "dilution of earnings" that creeps in. Look at the bath Daimler took selling Chrysler, or others of note........
Then, what you are saying is you don't want to own BAC. Note that I also said "If you want to own BAC". For you, the trade would be:

Buy MER and short BAC. This is what risk-arbs do.
Old 09-15-2008, 01:49 PM   #13
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Then, what you are saying is you don't want to own BAC. Note that I also said "If you want to own BAC". For you, the trade would be:

Buy MER and short BAC. This is what risk-arbs do.
The hedge funds will be all over it...........

Old 09-15-2008, 01:56 PM   #14

Quote:
How about shorting Merrill and buying gobs of Lehman?? That's what the CNBC folks will be along to advise shortly.........

a)CNBC

b)Rogue brokers

c)the Federal Reserve

d)all of the above

C) It is their job to maintain order and they have failed. the other 2 are doing what they are paid to do only the Fed is failing

https://www.early-retirement.org/forums/f44/why-i-believe-we-are-about-to-embark-on-a-historic-bull-market-run-101268.html
Running_Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2008, 01:56 PM   #15

Quote:
The hedge funds will be all over it...........
I'm sure they already are.
Old 09-15-2008, 02:15 PM   #16
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Well if we're going to actually READ posts before we respond to them, its going to get a lot less interesting.

You didnt edit your post later? I dont remember seeing that.

A lot of things can happen to hose the merger. Somewhere along the line of due diligence someone comes up with a bunch of stuff that is way worse than it was painted to be is a likely suspect.

I also dont think I'd want to own any BOA for a while after this. A lot of the value in Merrill is in the human capital...the employees, customers, relationships with the customers, etc. 95% of the time this 'capital' is not well managed and well integrated in a merger.

I think if I were in a strong mood to be a BOA owner over the long haul, that I'd wait a year or so and buy it even cheaper.
Old 09-15-2008, 04:51 PM   #17

Quote:
Well if we're going to actually READ posts before we respond to them, its going to get a lot less interesting.

You didnt edit your post later? I dont remember seeing that.
No Bunny, I didn't edit my post after you posted. But I can certainly understand that the most prolific poster on this forum can be forgiven for skimming the posts of others and occasionally missing a phrase.
Old 09-15-2008, 05:07 PM   #18
Give me a forum ...

I am glad I got rid of 1/2 of my BOA at prices slightly above the current price.

Unfortunately, I am short BAC $25 puts. Only 4 more trading before they expire, I really don't want this company if they are going to take bet the company size risks every few months.
clifp is offline   Reply With Quote