Is there a "projected dividend income" calculator available anywhere?

tenant13

Full time employment: Posting here.
My portfolios at Schwab and Chase are really great at detailing dividend income, both past and future. So I'm curious if there is a site where I could build a hypothetical portfolio and track its income performance over time? I’d like to input starting dates, sticker names and the amount purchased - that should give me the same results as I get from my real portfolio.

I actually asked Schwab adviser that question and she "wasn't sure".

You can't accuretly project earnings and dividend growth.

If you have portfolio of *quality* equities, it is very likely that dividend growth will be faster than in inflation. My rough guess is that such portfolio would currently yield about 2.2-2.4% dividend per year.

TIP: On the Schwab summary page look at the drop down button and switch from Personal Value to Investment Income. The chart has summary info, and below are your holdings with various income measurements for each.

TIP: On the Schwab summary page look at the drop down button and switch from Personal Value to Investment Income. The chart has summary info, and below are your holdings with various income measurements for each.

Right. I really like how this information is presented (Chase does it too). That's what inspired me to look for the "hypothetical portfolio" calculator - Schwab will only show me Investment Income for my actual existing investments but it should be really easy to build a tool that would take the same information (tickers, amounts and the purchase date) and help me plan - or show historical performance if the date is in the past.

https://www.fastgraphs.com/ has estimated earnings and dividends for future years.
Unfortunately it is $15.95 per month. They do have a free 14 day trial though.
I have done the free trial and it a really good product. Just could not justify the monthly rate.

You can sign up for a free trial at Simply Safe Dividends. I did that for a year or two, using different email address, until I broke down and just bought a subscription. Not cheap, but awesome information. You can input any portfolio you want, real or pretend. I think the free trial is 14 days.

You'd think that a broker like Schwab would be able to provide a simple tool like that to their clients....

You'd think that a broker like Schwab would be able to provide a simple tool like that to their clients....

I don't think predicting future income from a hypothetical portfolio would be as simple as you're implying. Especially if your portfolio is full of erratic dividend payers and below investment grade bonds during volatile times.

What would be in it for Schwab/Vanguard/Fidelity to provide such a tool, have you use it in stable times and make decisions based on the outcome and then have COVID-19 hit and throw the tool's projections into the ditch? How would they benefit from you being pissed and blaming them for the tool's projections being so far off and for your poor outcome?

I think there are good reasons why the major brokerage houses leave predicting the future to third parties who are less depedent on you being a happy customer.

Last edited:
I don't think predicting future income from a hypothetical portfolio would be as simple as you're implying. Especially if your portfolio is full of erratic dividend payers and below investment grade bonds during volatile times.

What would be in it for Schwab/Vanguard/Fidelity to provide such a tool, have you use it in stable times and make decisions based on the outcome and then have COVID-19 hit and throw the tool's projections into the ditch? How would they benefit from you being pissed and blaming them for the tool's projectiions being so far off and for your poor outcome?

They are already providing those projections for my real portfolio. Going a step further and doing the same for hypothetical one would hardly be stretch and could be a helpful tool. As to being pissed at anyone for making predictions - I don’t quite know how to answer... maybe that I know better? You know, the tried and true: “market’s past performance is not a guarantee... etc.”

They are already providing those projections for my real portfolio. Going a step further and doing the same for hypothetical one would hardly be stretch and could be a helpful tool. As to being pissed at anyone for making predictions - I don’t quite know how to answer... maybe that I know better? You know, the tried and true: “market’s past performance is not a guarantee... etc.”

They're only projecting your current portfolio out a year from present. (Historical actual) through (today + 12 months) = Jan 2019 through July 2021. Limiting the time period reduces the chances of the "prediction" side of the equation being far out of bed. I thought you were looking for something going out further.

Brokerage houses and other financial management businesses live in fear of being held responsible for "predictions" that don't come to pass. Recall the often stated "past results don't predict the future" or similar you see on their web sites with great frequency? You might not be pissed that your plans, which their tool's predictions influenced, turned to sh!!t when COVID-19 hit, but others would. That's why they're so cautious about providing tools which project future results.

Anyway, sounds like there are third party tools available on line which will do the job which should help you. Thanks to everyone who posted them.

Last edited:
They're only projecting your current portfolio out a year from present. (Historical actual) through (today + 12 months) = Jan 2019 through July 2021. Limiting the time period reduces the chances of the "prediction" side of the equation being far out of bed. I thought you were looking for something going out further.

Brokerage houses and other financial management businesses live in fear of being held responsible for "predictions" that don't come to pass. Recall the often stated "past results don't predict the future" or similar you see on their web sites with great frequency? You might not be pissed that your plans, which their tool's predictions influenced, turned to sh!!t when COVID-19 hit, but others would. That's why they're so cautious about providing tools which project future results.

Anyway, sounds like there are third party tools available on line which will do the job which should help you. Thanks to everyone who posted them.
I don't see why these financial management companies should have any fear. From my experience they show an expected projection based on what the companies and funds are paying, highlighting that it is only an estimate. They obviously cannot predict dividend cuts or if there will be a dividend raise, but should be able to track based on what the security has been reporting.

That said, I take issue with what Fidelity is reporting. I have a small account with them consisting of one stock and one fund (Fidelity Money Market). Each statement includes an estimate of the next year's income on a monthly basis. They get the stock part right but are wildly off the mark with the Fund. It shows estimated income about 100 times more than it is. I realize that the interest rate on MM funds have dropped to almost nothing, but one would think they could correctly report income based on the current rate. It is so wrong that I have considered contacting customer service to understand why it is so far off...or if I am confused about reading the statement.

The tool I was trying to recall (Divicalc - a dead simple dividend and return calculator.) is mentioned here:
https://www.early-retirement.org/forums/f44/divicalc-works-again-92306.html

Another free way to track a portfolio and dividends is through Morningstar. Get free account and creat portfolio. There are custom views and so on. You'd have to invest some time.

A Google sheet (or Excel) can do this. You can find a template and build upon it to project into the future.

But on the subject of dividends, getting the data and parsing it is a challenge. The methods used sometimes break, so you have maintenance headaches. In my custom google sheet I just enter the dividend manually.

The tool I was trying to recall (Divicalc - a dead simple dividend and return calculator.) is mentioned here:
https://www.early-retirement.org/forums/f44/divicalc-works-again-92306.html

Another free way to track a portfolio and dividends is through Morningstar. Get free account and creat portfolio. There are custom views and so on. You'd have to invest some time.

A Google sheet (or Excel) can do this. You can find a template and build upon it to project into the future.

But on the subject of dividends, getting the data and parsing it is a challenge. The methods used sometimes break, so you have maintenance headaches. In my custom google sheet I just enter the dividend manually.

Thank you. This is more or less what I was looking for except that this tool only tracks past performance - which is fine in itself. I can guess the future based on this.

Back
Top Bottom