Join Early Retirement Today

Old 06-06-2007, 06:58 PM   #61
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I loaded up with REITS around the same time, for the same reasons. Unfortunately I sold them too soon. Way too soon...almost 2 years ago.

Hmmm...social and conscience factors...not something we talk about as much as we probably should.

Thats right BPP, you're not from around these parts.

So you're not finding that the valuey picks you're making are staying valuey? A lot of the US value stocks seem to continue to be "bad stocks, which end up being good to own anyhow" as bernstein suggests.

And a round of thanks for people who actually ante'd up, instead of presuming the eye of sauron was upon them with all attendant malice.
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-06-2007, 07:21 PM   #62
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by FinanceDude View Post
I'll give you the benfit of the doubt since you actually OWN some stocks, unlike CFB, who doesn't own any now but keeps beating the drum on the "stockpicking is a loser's game" mentality..........:confused:
Well, for starters he's not calling stockpickers losers. He's referring to the Charles D. Ellis book. It's an apt term for the situation.

Quote:
I apologize, I guess you do have a sense of humor, because that comment is darn funny to me.............
Well, I have a hard time keeping a serious look on my face when I read the words "Wave Theory".

Quote:
So let me understand this, you want an in-depth analysis of a stock so you can nitpick it more? You would never buy an aggressive stock anyway, so why should I bother with some of my more interesting picks?
Well, sure. Isn't that the whole reason for having a stockpicker's board?

Just to be clear on this, I'm not nitpicking the stock picks-- I'm nitpicking the quality of the analysis. You picked the stock and presumably invested money in it and made a big profit, so there's no need to feel thin-skinned about the comments of anonymous Internet posters. You can rest on your assets secure in the knowledge that you've already accelerated your ER date.

For starters I'm not sure what an "aggressive" stock is. What does it do aggressively? Is that another name for small-cap growth stocks or is it some other category of investment?

Quote:
I will post an in depth analysis on one of my growth stocks. If that doesn't satisfy you, well too bad, brewer is the bottom-fisher quant guy on here............. I look at technical and fundamental analysis regarding a stock, and will buy into weakness or strength depending on positive long-term signs, like increasing cash flows, increased R&D spending or acquisition of another firm's patents, etc. It's not pure fundamental amalysis...........
Like I said, I'm more interested in the process than I am in latching on to the next moonshot. You guys presumably do this all day long and have it down to a system. I appreciate that there's more than one way to make money in the market, but most of the ways I've seen so far don't fit into the lifestyle most people would choose to live. Nothing wrong with that, but generic glittering generalities are everywhere. I'd rather see a detailed discussion of screens or technicals or fundamentals as long as we don't read words like "upside potential"...

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2007, 07:27 PM   #63
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Err...maybe I am missing something, but arent "valuey" indexes always undervalued...that is what I have been adding to....
Old 06-06-2007, 08:20 PM   #64
Give me a forum ...

Depends on which index and from whom. In general, once a stock becomes "good" and the p/e (etc) rise, the index should divest its holdings.

"Good" stocks tend to not stay "good" for long, on average. "Bad" stocks tend to stay "bad" for some time.
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2007, 10:23 PM   #65
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by cute fuzzy bunny View Post
So you're not finding that the valuey picks you're making are staying valuey? A lot of the US value stocks seem to continue to be "bad stocks, which end up being good to own anyhow" as bernstein suggests.

Good question. It looks like only about half of my current holdings would still pass my value screens today, and the longer they have been held, the more likely for them to have drifted out of bounds. Makes sense I guess.

Quote:
Originally Posted by maddythebeagle
Err...maybe I am missing something, but arent "valuey" indexes always undervalued...that is what I have been adding to....
If it is a value index, then yes, it is kind of by definition always made up of undervalued stocks, since stocks get booted out of the index when they become too highly valued, as CFB says. In my case I never sell, so I would expect my holdings to generally become less valuey over time. Though some probably never will, or will at least take a long time to do so, as CFB points out.
bpp3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2007, 03:44 AM   #66
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by unclemick View Post
heh heh heh . So what criteria do you put into your stock screener before you search for stocks?
For what it is worth, here are mine. (Not sure it will be of much reference to anybody else, though.)

Large cap stocks:
Exchange: Tokyo Stock Exchange, Section 1
Market Cap.: >2500 oku yen (>~2.1 billion USD)
P/E: 0-23
P/B: 0-2

Small cap stocks:
Exchange: Tokyo Stock Exchange, Section 2 (preferably -- but will shop in the low end of Section 1 if run out of candidates in Section 2)
Market Cap.: <2500 oku yen (all stocks in Section 2 are below this anyway)
P/E: 0-18
P/B: 0-1
Liquidity: Greater than 100 lots/day traded on average in last 25 days (this measure is provided by brokerage screening tool)

Notes: The upper ranges of P/E and P/B are the median numbers
for the respective exchanges and capitalization ranges. These
numbers get revisited periodically as the market moves as a whole.
The combination of P/E and P/B cuts leaves about 1/4 of the stocks in
each capitalization range available. (P/E and P/B turn out to be
surprisingly uncorrelated.) For the small caps, the liquidity
requirement cuts the available universe down by another factor
of 5 or so.

When I have money to invest, I run either the large-cap or small-cap
screen (depending on which class needs to be rebalanced into), and
filter the results for sub-lot sizes or multiples thereof that match
the amount of money I have to invest that day. (Typical lot sizes are
100-1000 shares, and my broker offers low-cost window trades in units of 1/10 lot.)

Then it is time to get out the darts.

Ok, I will peek at a few things:
1) Industry classification, to ensure diversification;
2) Dividends: some preference for at least 1% yield, but no hard and fast rule;
3) List of major shareholders, with some preference for less closely-held companies;
4) A glance at cashflow and debt numbers (not obviously bleeding to death).

However, if I find myself taking more than an hour or two dithering over
which candidate to pick, I pour myself a shot, make an offering to the
spirits of the efficient market, and force myself to just pick the largest
cap stock on the list. After all, there is always next month.

I never (willingly) sell, and always put new money into new names.

And that's how I make a DIY index fund.
bpp3 is offline   Reply With Quote
What's Warren buying?
Old 06-07-2007, 09:28 AM   #67
Full time employment: Posting here.

What's Warren buying?

Nords:

I'm assuming you're aware that your buddy Warren has been adding to Railroads and some other misc. areas, Wells Fargo Bank and Johnson & Johnson are the other big names that I recall.

But, he's cuttin' back in other areas like Bud and other financial-related businesses (H&R Block, Amer. Express, etc.).

See the Morningstar article if you already haven't.

-CC
Old 06-07-2007, 11:07 AM   #68
Give me a forum ...

Send a message via Skype™ to kcowan
On individual stocks, I look at the analysts opinions then study selected analysts. I try to understand the business model and look for side-effects that the analysts might miss. I look for naysayers on the boards and make an assessment of their reasons for being down. Then I study trends to see whether this stock is in an uptrend or a trough. If in a trough, I wait for some upward movement.

e.g. HMC is possibly ripe for an uptrend and may have just made the turn. It is on my watch list for tax-deferred account (8 years).
e.g. AAPL is a major holding now but is likely to drop when their 2Q financials are published, presenting another buying opp, or some options action.
e.g. JSDA has been beaten down by The Street for missing their 1Q numbers so might be in for a recovery IF they make good progress on their financials in 2Q.
e.g. ACH is up 40% so far this year but has tremendous upside so look for a buying opp.
e.g. AMX has been beaten down a bit by the Chavez nationalisation but has great potential in other Latin countries besides Mexico.
e.g. CA has a CEO who I know and he has brought in a bunch of guys I also know so he might be able to leave the stench of Wang and Kumar behind him.

Lots of others to chat about and a ton of analysis behind each one. I am mostly interested in discussing HMC and CA because I have not bought them yet.
Old 09-19-2023, 12:42 PM   #69
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nords View Post
I'm watching our ER portfolio hit a seemingly never-ending series of new highs. My Fidelity.com daily e-mail alerts consist mostly of "xxx hit a new 52-week high." Our kid's college fund is going to both Harvard AND Yale. We're not rebalancing because everything seems to be going up fast enough to remain more or less in its allocation.

I'm not looking for trouble and I'm not going to chase performance. I'm even getting nervous about shorting anything else because I'm afraid of all the irrational investors. I could sit on our current holdings for quite a few more years, including my shorts in First Federal and Abercrombie & Fitch. I'm just having a hard time finding anything that makes me go "Hmmm!" and look up its history or fire up a spreadsheet.

So... what asset class sucks? I'm not talking about "This is too expensive". I'm talking about "This is cheap for a reason, and it's a really ugly one!"
I've been looking at Marine Shipping outfits.
P/E is extremely low for :
AMKBY. 1.9
HPGLY. 2.9
ESEA. 1.74

There are a big handful of others. SOME are real dogs.
GhostofTomJoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2023, 02:39 PM   #70
Administrator

This sure is a blast from the past.
MichaelB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2023, 03:20 PM   #71
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelB View Post
This sure is a blast from the past.
Yep, anyone doubting the existence of an afterlife need only point to the resurrection of this long dead thread.
Old 09-19-2023, 10:06 PM   #72
Give me a forum ...

Wow, what an old thread! Many of the participants have long disappeared too. But if the thread topic fits, why not revive it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by GhostofTomJoad View Post
I've been looking at Marine Shipping outfits.
P/E is extremely low for :
AMKBY. 1.9
HPGLY. 2.9
ESEA. 1.74

There are a big handful of others. SOME are real dogs.
Being an active investor, of course my curiosity is piqued. These shipping stocks are not on my radar, but of course I knew about Maersk (AMKBY) even though it never crossed my mind to look up its stock.

AMKBY has no coverage by any US analyst. Nobody cares. I wonder why.

It's not a small Denmark company with 110,000 employees. On the surface, performance in recent years was impressive.

Revenue in 2019 (prepandemic) was 39 billion Krona, in 2020 was 40B KR, increasing to 62B KR in 2021, and 82B KR in 2022. Huge increase.

EPS increased from 22 KR in 2019 to 1595 KR in 2022. Huge!

Dividends increased from 22 KR in 2019 to 619 KR in 2022. Huge!

So what's wrong with this stock?

Earnings in 2023 are expected to decrease to 213, and down to 49 in 2024. Why? I have not found the reason, but that expected earning decrease explains the depressed stock price.

Very interesting stock, but it takes more work to understand the above numbers.

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
NW-Bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2023, 07:42 AM   #73
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
Yep, anyone doubting the existence of an afterlife need only point to the resurrection of this long dead thread.

Nothing is truly dead until a Mod says it's dead. I just don't know how folks find these old threads.

In any case, I gave up on individual stocks years ago - I was no good at it and didn't have the interest to do the research. SO, it's MFs for me EXCEPT Old Megacorp which, over the years, has made me a small fortune - and continues to make me a small fortune even to this day. Heh, heh, it's much better than when I had to report to w*rk every morning. Now, I just enjoy life and watch the stock price do its thing for me. YMMV

Anything which can be used can be misused. Anything which can be misused will be.
Koolau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2023, 03:03 AM   #74
gone traveling

My spouse-person likes to stay clueless about it all. My self-appointed task is to throw X amount over the wall I've put between IRA and taxable, each January, thus growing the taxable side, little by little. We pay no 1040 tax, so the first priority is simply to make more of the portfolio more easily accessible for her. My IRA is funds. Taxable is stocks. That could change, but not yet...
Old 09-22-2023, 01:11 PM   #75

Quote:
Originally Posted by GhostofTomJoad View Post
My spouse-person likes to stay clueless about it all. My self-appointed task is to throw X amount over the wall I've put between IRA and taxable, each January, thus growing the taxable side, little by little. We pay no 1040 tax, so the first priority is simply to make more of the portfolio more easily accessible for her. My IRA is funds. Taxable is stocks. That could change, but not yet...
Just curious: As long as you are throwing it over the wall, why not throw it into a Roth rather than taxable?
Old 09-22-2023, 02:08 PM   #76
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Out-to-Lunch View Post
Just curious: As long as you are throwing it over the wall, why not throw it into a Roth rather than taxable?
Yes, of course that had occurred to me. I understand the IRS can let you take 2 years to convert? It doesn't have to be in one slug, eh?

But then I'd be deliberately incurring a much bigger tax bill. We pay zero, and have paid zero for a bunch of years, already.

Also, since she's so much younger than me, there's a separate inheritance table which will apply after I'm gone. There's 19 years between us. That particular "draw-down" table applies when the surviving spouse is 10+ years younger. It gives her more time to control the $$$ WITHIN the IRA. She can sit on it for longer than in all other cases where an IRA is inherited. I'm aware of the draw-down requirement for a non-spouse individual who inherits a T-IRA. There is a 10-year rule, eh?

At any rate, paying zero federal tax feels like a gift. I'm not going to look a gift-horse in the mouth. . It's a nice problem to have.
Old 09-22-2023, 08:08 PM   #77

(Sorry that I seem to be turning an (ancient) thread about undervalued assets into another thread about Roth conversions.)

You can convert any amount of the tIRA that you wish, over as many years as you wish. You may want to take the amount that you were going to withdraw and put into taxable, and convert just that amount to a Roth. In other words, up to the top of you 0% bracket. You can have your 0% "gift horse," and ALSO pay no taxes on the earnings
Old 09-23-2023, 01:45 AM   #78
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Out-to-Lunch View Post
(Sorry that I seem to be turning an (ancient) thread about undervalued assets into another thread about Roth conversions.)
I’m cool. It’s been a tradition here for over two decades.

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote