Join Early Retirement Today

Old 06-06-2007, 07:52 AM   #21
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by brewer12345 View Post
How shall I put this politely? Maybe an old saw is appropriate: "if you don't have anything nice to say..."

I love old saws! Like "Put up, or shut up!"

I guess I need to put two "winkies" after every post where i'm just giving someone a hard time, all in fun...
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-06-2007, 08:25 AM   #22
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by cute fuzzy bunny View Post
I love old saws! Like "Put up, or shut up!"

I guess I need to put two "winkies" after every post where i'm just giving someone a hard time, all in fun...
What's the point? You aren't going to be convinced and will just waste lots of my time arguing, so I cannot be bothered.

But do me a favor and butt out. We get it: you think buying individual securities is a lousy idea. Now kindly leave us unwashed stock-pickers the hell alone.

- George Orwell

Ezekiel 23:20
brewer12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2007, 08:28 AM   #23
Give me a forum ...

TKF - Bogey in Istanbul? Heck - in the 80's(at higher hormone levels) I used to play with Southern Peru Copper (SPU)- way too high now . 'Copper has a Phd in inflation.'

Trying to wean myself off high div.'s toward more stogey di/div growth stuff -BUD, EMR, JNJ, GE WRE - except my brain doesn't believe my gut level has grasped intrinsic value/growth estimates to the 'aha Now I got it level.'

Lefthanded wise - I think the problem with this thread is that we all have our comfort zone stocks - given the vast universe of stocks worldwide - it's unlikely to get much overlap.

Sooo - a stock with a 25 to 50 year or more track record of over 10% dividend growth - at a steady pace, not in scary bumps, paying 4% in local currency - in an extremely boring, unlikely to change business is ??

Thrills and chills or boring retirement stocks - the eternal hormone question. Or what rapids do you run with YOUR! kayak.

heh heh heh . So what criteria do you put into your stock screener before you search for stocks?
unclemick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2007, 08:29 AM   #24
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Well? Show me and I'll shaddup...

I heard INTEL is a screaming buy.............

This Thread is USELESS without pics.........:)
FinanceDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2007, 08:30 AM   #25
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcowan View Post
Honda has been beaten down recently and seems to have hit a low of $34 this month. Performance in Japan is the reason. (ADR: HMC) But future prospects have to remain good. They have beaten Toyota on reliability overall which is a major feat.

Two others that I like (although they are already on a tear) are ACH and AMOV.
I have HMC in my own portfolio, and will be pciking up more soon..........

Old 06-06-2007, 08:32 AM   #26
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by brewer12345 View Post
What's the point? You aren't going to be convinced and will just waste lots of my time arguing, so I cannot be bothered.

But do me a favor and butt out. We get it: you think buying individual securities is a lousy idea. Now kindly leave us unwashed stock-pickers the hell alone.

Old 06-06-2007, 08:40 AM   #27
Give me a forum ...

Well I sure as hell wont be escalating this to THREE winkies!

But on a serious note, I'm quite convince-able. I just havent ever seen anyone show me that their adjusted annualized returns over a decade+ period actually beat any risk equivalent market indexes.

I guess my interests, all kidding aside, are that a lot of 'stock pickers' dont ever actually do the exercise of seeing if their efforts really are worth it. Seems to me that we remember the winners and forget the losers - picks and yearly returns.

It'd be a bit disappointing if novice investors, allured by the prospects of making a few good picks and beating the market...dont realize or arent cautioned that this rarely, if ever, actually happens.

That having been said, I've made my point. Which was invited, and not spontaneously produced...

Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
Old 06-06-2007, 08:44 AM   #28
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by FinanceDude View Post
You know, I cut a paragraph out of the above post that addressed this. I've seen plenty of people get rich on one or two stocks. Luck and the guts to put enough assets into one of these home run hits is rare.

In many of the cases, its someone sitting there with unexercised stock options that sees the price shoot up, sells off, and fans the stacks of cash. Not a whole shitload of risk involved there.

But now that you mention it, I did recommend INTC a little while back and I think a bunch of people around here have made a good chunk of change off of that recommendation...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg intc.JPG (30.7 KB, 2 views)
Old 06-06-2007, 08:53 AM   #29
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by unclemick View Post

heh heh heh . So what criteria do you put into your stock screener before you search for stocks?
That's actually an interesting question. Usually, I start with a view of the world and a corresponding industry focus. Mostly, I start digging around industry groups that are widely hated and pretty beaten down. Reinsurers after Katrina-Rita-Wilma, banks after the subprime implosion, auto parts makers in 2005, etc. After that, I just look for ones that have the potential to survive an industry downturn and will offer lots of upside from current prices once the industry rights itself. Many get taken over once things start to improve.

- George Orwell

Old 06-06-2007, 08:54 AM   #30
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Well I sure as hell wont be escalating this to THREE winkies!

But on a serious note, I'm quite convince-able. I just havent ever seen anyone show me that their adjusted annualized returns over a decade+ period actually beat any risk equivalent market indexes.

I guess my interests, all kidding aside, are that a lot of 'stock pickers' dont ever actually do the exercise of seeing if their efforts really are worth it. Seems to me that we remember the winners and forget the losers - picks and yearly returns.

It'd be a bit disappointing if novice investors, allured by the prospects of making a few good picks and beating the market...dont realize or arent cautioned that this rarely, if ever, actually happens.

That having been said, I've made my point. Which was invited, and not spontaneously produced...
I work in the same office with a private money manager. He has set stock portfolios he manages based on a client's risk profile.

He enhances the return by selling calls on the underlying stock.

I do find it interesting that you keep referring to 10-15 year periods in comparing index funds to indivdual stocks. Those of us who manage stock portfolios do rebalancing in the portfolios on an ongoing basis. I tend towards buy and hold but have up to 50% turnover in my most aggressive portfolios. There are times when I make a decision that the stock "has to go".......(see Fannie Mae) I have been known to go 10% in cash during certain times of volatility.

I can see the connection between index funds and managed funds, as far as apples to apples. However, I am NOT a fund manager, I have a LOT more flexibility in what I do...........

Old 06-06-2007, 08:59 AM   #31
Give me a forum ...

85% Target Retirement 2015 plus SS plus non cola pension = 100% retirement.

15% The Norwegian widow needs new shoes, may actually buy a kayak someday, mad I say mad money.( golf gets me aggrivated).

Keep those cards and letters coming folks - still holding STON and EGLE from the old days.

" Never tell me the odds." Han Solo from one of the Star Wars.

heh heh heh Psst - Bernstein was more definative with 'The 15 Stock Diversification Myth.' But I'm not listening!
Old 06-06-2007, 09:00 AM   #32
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
You know, I cut a paragraph out of the above post that addressed this. I've seen plenty of people get rich on one or two stocks. Luck and the guts to put enough assets into one of these home run hits is rare.

In many of the cases, its someone sitting there with unexercised stock options that sees the price shoot up, sells off, and fans the stacks of cash. Not a whole shitload of risk involved there.

But now that you mention it, I did recommend INTC a little while back and I think a bunch of people around here have made a good chunk of change off of that recommendation...
Some stocks I sold too late: Taser, Boston Chicken, Lucent, Siebel, Sun Micro, CMGI, Daimler-Chrysler, Tyco, MCI

Some stocks I sold too early: Microsoft, WalMart, Walgreens, Warner Lambert

Stocks I have never sold out of(core holdings) GE, PG, MO, BP, HOG, JCI, KSS, JNJ, HP ()

Old 06-06-2007, 09:02 AM   #33
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by unclemick View Post
85% Target Retirement 2015 plus SS plus non cola pension = 100% retirement.

15% The Norwegian widow needs new shoes, may actually buy a kayak someday, mad I say mad money.( golf gets me aggrivated).

Keep those cards and letters coming folks - still holding STON and EGLE from the old days.

" Never tell me the odds." Han Solo from one of the Star Wars.

heh heh heh Psst - Bernstein was more definative with 'The 15 Stock Diversification Myth.' But I'm not listening!

Old 06-06-2007, 09:11 AM   #34
Give me a forum ...

Uncle, FWIW< I no longer consider STON t o be a screaming bargain. I've sold about half my stake and I am waiting for closer to 30 to give the rest the heave-ho.

- George Orwell

Old 06-06-2007, 09:11 AM   #35
Give me a forum ...

The 15-Stock Diversification Myth

One of my favorite words...kurtoskewness!
Old 06-06-2007, 09:18 AM   #36
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
I can see the connection between index funds and managed funds, as far as apples to apples. However, I am NOT a fund manager, I have a LOT more flexibility in what I do...........

Agreed. Now do your ideas in aggregate, over a long period of time, actually beat equivalent risk level market indexes?

Better still, I'm presuming your very best ideas go into your own portfolio. You do a 1040 every year where your gains and losses are tabulated. Your gains and losses vs dollars invested is fairly available. You've been doing this for a while.

So over the last 10-15 years, has your personal rate of return beaten the S&P 500 or TSM? What were your trading costs? How much additional risk did you take on to accomplish any upside?
Old 06-06-2007, 09:39 AM   #37
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
qtr me SPY
1994 -2% 0%
1995 21% 38%
1996 31% 22%
1997 22% 34%
1998 -7% 29%
1999 -2% 20%
2000 36% -10%
2001 16% -12%
2002 7% -22%
2003 47% 28%
2004 35% 11%
2005 24% 5%
2006 22% 16%

Here are my returns for the 13 full years I have been investing in individual
stocks, combining the results across all 4 (regular, roth, ira1, ira2) accounts.
Whether they are risk-equivalent depends on your definition of risk, but almost
all investments were in top-quality (IMO) stocks, with a few bonds and
more questionable stocks in the early years, and a little bit of MMF. I usually
was very close to 100% invested in 10-15 stocks at a time, sometimes dropping
to as few as 5 or as many as 20+. No one stock accounted for more than
15% of my gains. The portfolio was small until 1997, when a large 401k rollover
quadrupled its size. I am positive that I accounted correctly for deposits and
withdrawels.
Old 06-06-2007, 09:43 AM   #38
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Better still, I'm presuming your very best ideas go into your own portfolio. You do a 1040 every year where your gains and losses are tabulated. Your gains and losses vs dollars invested is fairly available. You've been doing this for a while.

So over the last 10-15 years, has your personal rate of return beaten the S&P 500 or TSM? What were your trading costs? How much additional risk did you take on to accomplish any upside?
This is where things get sticky: where the rubber meets the road. Dunno about you, but a lot of my assets are tax sheltered, so much of the gain and loss never sees a Sched D. Of the taxable stuff, much of it is held for years. So again, Sched D isn't the greatest way to do this. This ignores all the messy stuff that goes with time-weighted vs. money-weighted returns, GIPS compliance, etc. that I never want to touch with the proverbial 10ft. stick.

The risk measurement part is also tricky. You have in mind traditional beta, std dev, etc. measures? How do you deal with stuff that is illiquid? What is an appropriate performance/risk benchmark, bearing in mind that the relevant benchmark might change considerably as an individual investor rotates from small caps to large caps to junk bonds to beev3r cheez3 futures to...

There will be no pleasing you on this score, so I decline to play the game. I'd suggest others do the same.

- George Orwell

Old 06-06-2007, 09:44 AM   #39
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Quote:
For a guy who posts as "FinanceDude", the level of detail to your analysis (let alone its quality) leaves a little to be desired.

But, yes, I was buying last July/Aug at $17.43 & $17.79/share. With reinvested dividends I'm up 24% at yesterday's close.

I bought because Otellini seemed to be leading his way out of a wet paper bag with rising margins & cash flow due to cuts, because the trading volume seemed to have shaken out, and because certain former Intel employees speculated that Intel would sucker AMD into huge capital expenditures that would nail AMD's profits when Intel dropped chip prices.

Quote:
I do find it interesting that you keep referring to 10-15 year periods in comparing index funds to indivdual stocks. Those of us who manage stock portfolios do rebalancing in the portfolios on an ongoing basis. I tend towards buy and hold but have up to 50% turnover in my most aggressive portfolios.
Hey, indexes rebalance too. Witness what happened to the S&P500 during the 1990s. I don't know index turnover ratios but I suspect they're lower than 10%.

The reason for the long-term comparison to an index is that it's difficult to distinguish luck & the market's rising tide from a manager's actual skill. I'd go for 20 years, personally, and that drops out even Bill Miller. About the only people left are guys like Fisher, Ruane, Schloss, Buffett, and Simpson. Hmmm, I'm noticing personality & lifestyle traits among those guys that I don't believe I possess.

So yes, stock-pickers can beat the market. It probably takes a certain amount of hard-wiring and even so a lot of man-hours. But if a stock-picker isn't comparing their after-tax performance to an appropriate index then they're just deluding themselves with feel-good poor-quality analysis. And even if they're beating the index despite higher turnover costs, one would want to take risk (volatility) into account.

In my case I decided that, although my learning curve is finally paying off, there are better things to do with my time. When I was working I definitely wouldn't have had the time to do this properly, and I'm not sure that I would've had the intestinal fortitude to put the ER portfolio into it either. Now that I'm lazy and lack a profit motive I think I'm heading for a brick wall.

So I'm looking for the exit points with Intel, Diana Shipping, Eagle Shipping, Tate & Lyle, & Superior. I think my shorts on Abercrombie & Fitch and First Fed have room to run for a while...

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2007, 09:50 AM   #40
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
The 15-Stock Diversification Myth

One of my favorite words...kurtoskewness!
In New Orleans long ago and far away - I used to say that word out loud around the house - and the women threw stuff at me!

heh heh heh heh heh heh heh heh - ? Unlike the pro's who post here - my exit points are 7 years unless the stock does extremely. BTY - ancient history but back in New Orleans my safety deposit box bottom had a few 'gone pecan' stock certificates of defunked co.'s. I planned some someday to do an artsy fartsy collage - since I 'knew' my stock picking ability would generate a few more by old age.