Join Early Retirement Today

Is Zero Cap Gains Worth Holding on to a Company?
Old 07-22-2021, 04:16 PM   #1
Confused about dryer sheets

Is Zero Cap Gains Worth Holding on to a Company?

This isn't much of a FIRE topic but hoping to hear from the good people who post hear. I invest for my 29 yo son who has learning disabilities. He lives with us and has a steady job that has him in the 12% bracket and some room for zero taxed LTCG's. In May of 2020 I purchased a good amount of ZM (yeah, I know) after seeing the upside of this company during the pandemic. It has grown to quite a substantial amount but I don't believe there's much more upside-at least compared to other companies I think can do better.

What I'm struggling with is whether to just sell and buy the "better" companies and put him into the 22% bracket or take advantage of the tax free gains every year until it's used up. It would probably take 5 or 6 years to use it up (and stay in the 12% bracket) and in the mean time we would probably generate more LTCG.

The lesson I learned from this was to allocate the companies in all of his accounts (tIRA, Roth, brokerage) not just his brokerage. I guess part of the decision is based on how much better another stock could do compared to the 15% cap gain savings. Just trying to think it through and appreciate any thoughts.
Guamaniac is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-22-2021, 04:47 PM   #2

If you think you can move the money to other companies and exceed the 1-year tax hit with added growth, then it is a good move to take the hit and sell now, buy other things. Better to take the lumps and move to a faster moving car if you believe your car is stalled/sluggish.

And since you're presumably investing for long term growth for your son, I'd say plop it into a nice index fund (VTSAX, etc.) and then ignore it for a long time.
Aerides is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2021, 04:47 PM   #3
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Why are you trying to pick individual stock winners and losers in your son's investment accounts? Just put him into broad-based, total market index funds. Something like an ultra low-cost S&P 500 fund, or an "all world" global equities fund.

To answer your specific question, I would sell all the ZM, take the gains and the one-time tax hit, and then re-invest all the remainder in the types of funds I mentioned above. You (and he) will likely be FAR better off over the long run with a boring, steady flow of investment dollars into broad-based, low-cost total market funds than with any "luck of the draw" individual stock picks.
Sojourner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2021, 05:04 PM   #4
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I would sell enough to stay within the 12% for tax free gains.

Your next bet may not be so great, though.
target2019 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2021, 05:43 PM   #5
Confused about dryer sheets

Thanks for the replies. I do appreciate the point about index funds as he does have that. Over the years I've had success with some individual investing when opportunities arise but I never expected the result from this one investment. I know it's generally not a great idea to pick winners but it's worked for me over many years and I'll probably continue to do it. Even in my son's accounts.

I do think I can get better returns than the 15% but get stuck on the "free money" part of zero cap gains tax. I guess I don't have to immediately decide and can always sell and accept the 15% tax if I get fed up with the performance.
Guamaniac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2021, 06:40 PM   #6
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Just how much of your son's portfolio is in ZM as a percentage? If it's a large portion, I'd take the tax hit just because of too much concentration in one stock. If it's 10% or less, I'd just sell just enough to stay in the 12% bracket.
Dash man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2021, 06:44 PM   #7
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guamaniac View Post
... I know it's generally not a great idea to pick winners but it's worked for me over many years and I'll probably continue to do it. Even in my son's accounts. ...
I don't know the level of your son's disabilities, but is he able to understand the "prudent man principle"? Do you?

A stock buying plan that "has worked for many years" is unlikely to meet that criteria. And while I'd bet that most of us on this forum are all/mostly in broad, diversified accounts (and largely passive management), if we were investing for someone else, we'd be even more concerned about diversification.

To be blunt, I am shocked that you are risking the future of someone with disabilities to your hunches in the stock market.

What % of his portfolio is in individual stocks, or sector funds?

-ERD50
ERD50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2021, 09:28 PM   #8
Recycles dryer sheets

Generically speaking, I would certainly sell as much that would fit under 0% long term gains.

I am biased in that I think Zoom is overvalued given all the video conferencing alternatives, so I would sell and take the nice gain and taxes that came with it. Taxes are not really so bad in that you will have reset the account to a higher basis, so that any future selling will report a lower gain.
triangle is offline   Reply With Quote