Join Early Retirement Today

Keep throwing good money after bad?
Old 06-13-2022, 11:58 AM   #1
Recycles dryer sheets

Keep throwing good money after bad?

I've been contributing $1,000 bi-weekly through payroll deduction to my 457. Like my Roth, which I had fully funded in February for this year, and a taxable brokerage account which I've just been sitting on without adding or taking, the 457 is down 12%.

Does it make sense to keep throwing $1,000 every two weeks into the 457 just to watch it keep going down?

Might I be better off putting those funds, or a large portion of them, into a money market account?

I understand the taxes I'll be paying now rather than later if the money is not going into the 457, but I'm questioning continuing with fully funding the 457 at present. There is no employer match to my contributions.

I appreciate the input of the more seasoned cooler heads.
firemediceric is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-13-2022, 12:05 PM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Smarter folks than me will reply but I'll assume you're buying stocks, bonds or funds each time. If so, you're getting them at bargain basement prices right now. IMO a once in a decade opportunity.

YMMV
Old 06-13-2022, 12:14 PM   #3
Give me a forum ...

Off the top of my gray head:
- What is your investment timeframe?
- Does your current AA still allow you to sleep well at night?

If we are talking long term, and you AA is appropriate for your desired level of risk, no need to change.
Old 06-13-2022, 12:18 PM   #4
Give me a forum ...

It is hard to see your account go down, I get it. I learned the hard way, too.
I've been there, early in my career and an investing novice, I stopped my 457 contributions during a downturn, don't remember which one, there have been a few.
Dumb idea. There was a pretty good, quick bounce back, but by the time I trusted it, got the paperwork back in to restart, I missed a good chunk of growth.

Choose an allocation you are comfortable with, stay invested.
How long do you have until your planned retirement? That may guide your decisions now.
Old 06-13-2022, 12:19 PM   #5
Give me a forum ...

I would keep contributing and that's exactly what I did during the 2008 episode. In fact I shifted my allocation to all equities and bought 3 times as much as before.

When it recovered I was well rewarded -
RobbieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2022, 12:31 PM   #6
Recycles dryer sheets

OP, some of us will kick ourselves later for not buying into this market (with available extra $). One wants to buy low and sell high, but it is human nature that we all want to buy when it is high and sell when it is low. It sounds to me like you are in your accumulation stage, so this is a good time for you to continue to add to your investment. Good luck
ut2sua is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2022, 12:32 PM   #7
Give me a forum ...

When are you actually leaving your Job?

Do you still plan to move somewhere and buy a home?

IIRC you are putting a ot of pension contributions and other savings away. It might not make much of a difference and perhaps you could use some extra cash.

It's a individual choice so it's up to you and what you feel comfortable with. You are suggesting cashing out your positions just taking a pause on some contributions.
ivinsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2022, 12:38 PM   #8
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by firemediceric View Post
Does it make sense to keep throwing $1,000 every two weeks into the 457 just to watch it keep going down?

If you have a crystal ball and know that it's going to keep going down, then of course not. But nobody knows whether it will keep going down, or go up, or go sideways. But the market is priced to compensate investors for the risk they are taking, and it usually works out that way in the long term. So yes, I would continue to throw the money there.
Which Roger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2022, 12:48 PM   #9
Full time employment: Posting here.

keep throwing good money after good money!
HarveyS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2022, 01:01 PM   #10

Assuming you haven't sold off anything, you still own the same assets as you did previously. It's just that "the market" (=other people) happens to value them lower right now. Time is your friend. Over the coming years those assets, including the ones you are buying cheap now, will likely rise again to equal or exceed the previous high values.

I have found that my comfort level with volatility has adjusted over the last 38 years as I have witnessed both the downdrafts and the subsequent updrafts. For the US, at least, there exists a very vibrant, diversified economy and skilled, creative workforce that will continue to produce excellent long term economic profits for those who invest.

-BB
Old 06-13-2022, 01:28 PM   #11
Give me a forum ...

Unless you need those funds soon, keep buying at these lower prices. You are lowering your average price, dollar cost averaging.
Montecfo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2022, 01:43 PM   #12
Give me a forum ...

"Wall St is the only market where, when the prices go down, everyone runs for the door!". "Be greedy when others are fearful". (either Buffett or Munger
Old 06-13-2022, 02:11 PM   #13

Write an Investment Policy Statement that addresses what to do in a down market. Then when the market is down, read your statement you wrote without emotion and follow. It is the only way to make sure you don't do something from emotion only. If you write it today, it may be too conservative, but that isn't the worst thing that can happen.

Good luck to you,

VW
Old 06-13-2022, 02:13 PM   #14
Give me a forum ...

Ah, there's no good money anyway. Not when inflation is this high.

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
NW-Bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2022, 02:17 PM   #15
Recycles dryer sheets

I get it. It feels like you’re dumping money into a sinking ship. The same thought goes through all of us who are still accumulating(can we still say that, just joking).

The fine folks here have said it better than I could. Just keep dollar cost averaging, have trust in your AA and one day, we will all be happier.
Yoheadden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2022, 02:37 PM   #16
Recycles dryer sheets

Thank you all for the advice. I would not cash anything out, I just would not contribute anything further, or reduce greatly my contribution for the time being; however, the consensus seems to definitely be against that though, so I am going to heed the wisdom of those smarter than myself. I’ll leave my bi-weekly contribution just the way it is.

My timeframe for retirement is short, but I don’t anticipate my needing to access those 457 funds anytime soon after entering retirement. I have to leave in 5 years when I am forced out. I hope to leave within the next 2 years. Hopefully things will bounce back and this will all have been just a bad memory by the time I need to access those funds.
firemediceric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2022, 02:39 PM   #17
Recycles dryer sheets

"The local supermarket keeps putting the things I want to buy on sale. Should I stop shopping and wait until prices are higher?"
punkinhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2022, 02:52 PM   #18
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Montecfo View Post
Unless you need those funds soon, keep buying at these lower prices. You are lowering your average price, dollar cost averaging.
IMO, the above is correct. I would not bet the farm on a quick turn around in the next year or two. But, after the run-up we have had over the past few years, this is an opportunity to buy lower and get the better returns one needs to fund future goals. Again, just my opinion.

The worst decisions are usually made in times of anger and impatience.
Chuckanut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2022, 06:18 AM   #19
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuckanut View Post
IMO, the above is correct. I would not bet the farm on a quick turn around in the next year or two. But, after the run-up we have had over the past few years, this is an opportunity to buy lower and get the better returns one needs to fund future goals. Again, just my opinion.
+1. Stocks are finally looking attractive for the first time in a long time. Don’t go all in but keep the paycheck contributions coming. I am.
Magus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2022, 08:40 AM   #20
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magus View Post
+1. Stocks are finally looking attractive for the first time in a long time. Don’t go all in but keep the paycheck contributions coming. I am.
I agree. The problem for people like me is that I no longer have a paycheck.

But, I do still collect dividends, interest and maybe some capital gains. I will keep reinvesting any capital gains that survive, and I will keep the dividends and interest stored in a safe account in the hopes that buying lower will negate the loss of real value to inflation.

High inflation combined with a down market is a double whammy. The Bear at its worst. This is all too familiar to the late 70's and 80's. Be careful.

The worst decisions are usually made in times of anger and impatience.
Chuckanut is offline   Reply With Quote