Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Old 11-02-2022, 01:13 PM   #701
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Another 0.75% rate hike.

A small hint of some policy adjustment:
Quote:
In determining the pace of future increases in the target range, the Committee will take into account the cumulative tightening of monetary policy, the lags with which monetary policy affects economic activity and inflation, and economic and financial developments.
https://www.cnbc.com/id/107144892?vi...lZPAtowJ6xLPIw
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-02-2022, 02:02 PM   #702
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by audreyh1 View Post
Another 0.75% rate hike.

A small hint of some policy adjustment:

https://www.cnbc.com/id/107144892?vi...lZPAtowJ6xLPIw
I watched the presentation.

The Fed made it clear that to err on the side of TOO MUCH rate increase was far more favorable that to pause/reduce the size of the rate increase and allow the inflation to become more entrenched.

I was glad to hear that.
Old 11-02-2022, 02:33 PM   #703
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Born2Fish View Post

The Fed made it clear that to err on the side of TOO MUCH rate increase was far more favorable that to pause/reduce the size of the rate increase and allow the inflation to become more entrenched.

I was glad to hear that.
I suppose that’s why the equity markets sold off after the press conference.
Old 11-02-2022, 02:40 PM   #704
Give me a forum ...

The Fed just nuked the market. Heh heh heh...

What is funny is that the market initially jumped up at the start of the conference. I have no access to CNBC or TV, but saw it on my stock screen. Then, when Powell stated in no uncertain terms that "it is premature to think of stopping rate hikes", the market crumpled into a heap. Heh heh heh...

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
Old 11-02-2022, 02:41 PM   #705
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-Bound View Post
The Fed just nuked the market. Heh heh heh...

What is funny is that the market initially jumped up at the start of the conference. I have no access to CNBC or TV, but saw it on my stock screen. Then, when Powell stated in no uncertain terms that "it is premature to think of stopping rate hikes", the market crumpled into a heap. Heh heh heh...
As odd as it sounds, I find none of this humorous. Not in the least.
Old 11-02-2022, 02:42 PM   #706
Administrator

Chairman Powell didn’t give a nudge and a wink when he announced that rate hike and I guess that bothered some folks.

The song of the day is Sly and the Family Stone with “I want to take you higher”
Old 11-02-2022, 02:47 PM   #707
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelB View Post
Chairman Powell didn’t give a nudge and a wink when he announced that rate hike and I guess that bothered some folks.
The hike has been advertised for at least a couple of weeks, so no one should be too surprised. Then again, I am not sure many people are paying attention.
Old 11-02-2022, 02:54 PM   #708
Give me a forum ...

No, people knew the hike was coming.

What they expected was some soothing words from Powell, saying he would be more lenient after this hike. No more spanking.

Nope. He threw away the punch bowl. No more partying!

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
Old 11-02-2022, 02:56 PM   #709
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ExFlyBoy5 View Post
The hike has been advertised for at least a couple of weeks, so no one should be too surprised. Then again, I am not sure many people are paying attention.
0.75% rate hike was totally baked in. Investors are reacting to what might happen next. Some hopes were dashed.
Old 11-02-2022, 03:21 PM   #710
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beststash View Post
It's obvious to me that the present situation we have with gas prices goes back to the fossil fuel companies manipulation of prices to pad their profits and of course the ever present geopolitical issues that have plagued us for decades. They like to blame not enough drilling, too many regulations, and too much focus on climate change but in reality it our dependence on fossil fuels, instead of moving more quickly to less volatile commodities such as sun and wind.

That's my opinion and I'm sticking to it. ☮

I just saw something I'd like to share.

I have a few energy stocks, but not Devon. Today, saw that it crashed -12.76%, compared to the S&P going down -2.50%. I told myself, it has got to be a bad earning report, no doubt.

Went in to take a look. No, it beat expectation on both top and bottom lines when reporting yesterday. So, what's wrong?

It is due to the company outlook. They expect to spend something like $900 million next year on capex. And this is so that they can increase output by 0 to 5%. I thought I saw that they had $1.3 billion in free cash, so a lot of it will get spent. And they are reducing dividend!

It's not as rosy as people think.

Old 11-02-2022, 03:49 PM   #711
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Born2Fish View Post

I was glad to hear that.
Yeah, too bad they didn't start this process a few months earlier.

Anything which can be used can be misused. Anything which can be misused will be.
Old 11-02-2022, 03:53 PM   #712
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ExFlyBoy5 View Post
As odd as it sounds, I find none of this humorous. Not in the least.
I agree with you only because I have money in the stock market. Other than that, I think it's pretty funny - especially since (dumb as I am about such things) I saw this coming long before the FED reacted to it (I assume they saw it coming too and decided to "wait" any way.) But, again, what do I know, so YMMV.

Anything which can be used can be misused. Anything which can be misused will be.
Old 11-02-2022, 05:18 PM   #713
Give me a forum ...

I thought the market action was funny. They were trading the market up based on just a rumor that Powell would show leniency, and when Powell said "BOO!", they pissed in their pants and panicked. "Sell, sell, sell".

PS. It makes me wonder if Powell had an aide standing in the back of the room to monitor the market, and to give him a signal of the market rallying based on misreading his intent. When he got the signal that the market was rallying, he decided to drop the bomb on them.

Old 11-02-2022, 05:22 PM   #714
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koolau View Post
Yeah, too bad they didn't start this process a few months earlier.
Inflation was scary enough that I think it's good that they administered bitter medicine. Better late than never.

Old 11-02-2022, 05:37 PM   #715
Give me a forum ...

As long as PCE price index is still higher than the federal funds rate, The Fed will likely keep raising rates. They may pause or slow down the rate of increase, or inflation numbers may start to decline with the changes that have been made to date, but otherwise further rate increases seem likely well into 2023.
Even clouds seem bright and breezy, 'Cause the livin' is free and easy, See the rat race in a new way, Like you're wakin' up to a new day (Dr. Tarr and Professor Fether lyrics, Alan Parsons Project, based on an EA Poe story)
Old 11-03-2022, 05:17 AM   #716
Give me a forum ...

A wage-price spiral seems to be starting and the Fed probably won't stop until unemployment makes a move.

Supply shock started this, but it has gone on too long and the echoes of the late 70s have begun which started with the oil shock and moved into the spiral.

Hopefully it won't take an early 80s style Fed move and subsequent deep recession.

Old 11-03-2022, 05:50 AM   #717
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-Bound View Post
Inflation was scary enough that I think it's good that they administered bitter medicine. Better late than never.
Yes. Inflation is much scarier than a recession. And, yes, better late than never. But, seriously, the Fed only has a couple of jobs and stable currency is the most important.

Old 11-03-2022, 05:57 AM   #718

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeWras View Post
A wage-price spiral seems to be starting and the Fed probably won't stop until unemployment makes a move.

Supply shock started this, but it has gone on too long and the echoes of the late 70s have begun which started with the oil shock and moved into the spiral.
There was a story on the local news last night that a major interstate construction project here is likely to not be done on time because of supply chain problems and a shortage of labor. They are actually taking people off of other projects to solve the latter problem (although it will make those projects late). That doesn't solve the materials issue.

Those who have been saying that the supply side problems are easing may be technically right but practically wrong. There are still a lot of supply (both material and labor) problems in the economy. We aren't going to get significant relief from inflation until that abates.
Old 11-03-2022, 06:08 AM   #719
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by jldavid47 View Post
There was a story on the local news last night that a major interstate construction project here is likely to not be done on time because of supply chain problems and a shortage of labor. They are actually taking people off of other projects to solve the latter problem (although it will make those projects late). That doesn't solve the materials issue.

Those who have been saying that the supply side problems are easing may be technically right but practically wrong. There are still a lot of supply (both material and labor) problems in the economy. We aren't going to get significant relief from inflation until that abates.
Well the kind of supply shock is different. The auto chips thing was due to makers knee jerk reacting and not contracting for the future, then the fabs found "new best friends" to fab out.

Here, you have the concrete mixing plant who can't get labor (unless they pay more), so concrete then is a supply issue.

It becomes a big tangled mess feeding against each other.

Old 11-03-2022, 07:43 AM   #720

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeWras View Post
Here, you have the concrete mixing plant who can't get labor (unless they pay more), so concrete then is a supply issue.
No, that's not the issue. They cannot get enough labor on the job site itself. There may also be an issue at the concrete plant, but that's not the main labor problem.
Closed Thread