Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Old 06-03-2023, 08:02 PM   #1761
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by GenXguy View Post
The term has been used in this thread, but that's still not prices coming down, which is what I've heard many times in the media and is referenced in the linked article. But someone might point out the price of eggs went down. [emoji23]
Suggest you take that to the "deflation" thread.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-03-2023, 09:01 PM   #1762
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
The term has been used in this thread, but that's still not prices coming down, which is what I've heard many times in the media and is referenced in the linked article. But someone might point out the price of eggs went down.
Speaking of which, I bought a dozen large white eggs for $1.26. I thought there must be something wrong with the price, but they said not. Whoo, hoo!

Anything which can be used can be misused. Anything which can be misused will be.
Old 06-03-2023, 09:25 PM   #1763
Give me a forum ...

99 cents a dozen for large eggs at Safeway this week.

I can see why food has a volatile reputation.

The worst decisions are usually made in times of anger and impatience.
Old 06-04-2023, 05:58 AM   #1764
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuckanut View Post

Sounds like the hen houses went on overtime!
Old 06-04-2023, 06:19 AM   #1765
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I'll call it "deflation" when the prices fall below what they were before the sudden spikes we've seen recently.

I'm really tired of headlines forecasting doom and gloom when a bubble bursts, as if the values at the peak were somehow "normal." This can be about general inflation, oil prices, home prices, whatever.

If you insist on calling the down slope of a bubble "deflation,' then don't act like it's a bad thing. I really doubt most consumers see it that way. I guess there's no single, catchy word for "returning to somewhere close to normal."
Old 06-04-2023, 06:24 AM   #1766
Administrator

From the Federal Reserve Bank of San Franscisco

Quote:
The MIT Dictionary of Modern Economics defines deflation as "A sustained fall in the general price level." Deflation represents the opposite of inflation, which is defined as an increase in the overall price level over a period of time. In contrast, disinflation, represents a period when the inflation rate is positive, but declining over time.
https://www.frbsf.org/education/publ...lation-causes/
Old 06-04-2023, 07:01 AM   #1767

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gumby View Post
But your continued carping about it will not improve anything - for you or anyone else.

But that's half the conversation at my weekly breakfast with the guys!
Latest Inflation Numbers and Discussion
Old 06-04-2023, 08:35 AM   #1768
Give me a forum ...

Latest Inflation Numbers and Discussion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuckanut View Post

Just in time the WSJ has an article on how eggs are going back on sale. Glad they have caught up with our illustrious group of inflation experts.

https://www.wsj.com/articles/eggs-ar...6e13aae?page=1

“Now, egg supplies have bounced back, industry officials and farmers say, as the disease’s spread has slowed and flocks of laying hens have been rebuilt. At supermarket chains such as New York-based Tops Markets, shoppers recently saw eggs on sale for the first time in months.

“Prices should all be under $2 a dozen,” said Sue Durfee, who oversees eggs, dairy and other items at Tops. “We plan on trying to promote them once or twice a month.” The company recently offered eggs at a discounted $1.49 a dozen, and plans to run sales at $1.29 in the coming months, she said, after not giving discounts on eggs in more than a year.”

The worst decisions are usually made in times of anger and impatience.
Old 06-04-2023, 10:16 AM   #1769
Recycles dryer sheets

R-134A Freon at walmart year or so ago $4.xx a can, now 10 bucks.
Something is not right.
Oldmike
Old 06-04-2023, 11:09 AM   #1770
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by mf15 View Post
R-134A Freon at walmart year or so ago $4.xx a can, now 10 bucks.
Something is not right.
Oldmike
Chemical costs are notoriously price-volatile. I would guess in this case, the huge back-log of ocean-shipping has a lot to do with such things as freon price.

Anything which can be used can be misused. Anything which can be misused will be.
Old 06-04-2023, 11:19 AM   #1771
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koolau View Post
Chemical costs are notoriously price-volatile. I would guess in this case, the huge back-log of ocean-shipping has a lot to do with such things as freon price.
Chlorine for our spa was $14 two years ago for 2 pounds, $24 last year and $30 this year. I bought 5 pounds of a different brand instead for $60 just to get the average cost back to 2022 levels.
Old 06-04-2023, 11:47 AM   #1772
Recycles dryer sheets

Industrial chemist since 1972, actually worked in the industry since 1966. My guess, price gouging by everyone involved, they had tons of stock. My guess, they will do it until they can't. Yea, getting very cynical in my old age.
Oldmike
Old 06-04-2023, 11:51 AM   #1773

Quote:
Originally Posted by Time2 View Post
But that's half the conversation at my weekly breakfast with the guys!
They should order eggs for breakfast.
Old 06-04-2023, 11:52 AM   #1774

There's another thread for posting those specific examples of current inflation:

https://www.early-retirement.org/for...rs-114205.html
Old 06-04-2023, 01:31 PM   #1775
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gumby View Post
From the Federal Reserve Bank of San Franscisco

https://www.frbsf.org/education/publ...lation-causes/

The Fed and the public will have different opinions on inflation as consumers memories are longer, while Fed sticks with the current times. Exaggerated example…If we had 100% inflation one year, then 0% inflation the following year, Fed would consider inflation dead. While a consumer would disagree. As that scenario still stings the wallet even if that scenario showed a current 0% CPI.
Old 06-04-2023, 01:47 PM   #1776

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mulligan View Post
The Fed and the public will have different opinions on inflation as consumers memories are longer...
... and more reliable. Sorry if I just don't take word of a politician or pundit on everything.

Pointing to one small section of a wildly-swinging line on a chart is not necessarily a good way to discern a legitimate trend. But it can be used to deceive.
Old 06-04-2023, 03:57 PM   #1777
Administrator

Quote:
The Fed and the public will have different opinions on inflation as consumers memories are longer, while Fed sticks with the current times. Exaggerated example…If we had 100% inflation one year, then 0% inflation the following year, Fed would consider inflation dead. While a consumer would disagree. As that scenario still stings the wallet even if that scenario showed a current 0% CPI.
Inflation is not an opinion, it is math. Inflation = dx/dt where x is price and t is time. And since the Fed can affect my life a lot more than any consumer's opinion, I'll stick with the Fed.
Old 06-04-2023, 05:50 PM   #1778
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptTom View Post
... and more reliable. Sorry if I just don't take word of a politician or pundit on everything.

Pointing to one small section of a wildly-swinging line on a chart is not necessarily a good way to discern a legitimate trend. But it can be used to deceive.

Gumby was missing my point. Math is the math which is a given for the science of inflation. It is what it is definition wise. But consumers base inflation on how it hits their wallet. They really dont care about the proper terminology of inflation, disinflation, or deflation…..And they have a long memory of a price change. Something that went from $5 to $10 in one year and is $10 three years later will still be viewed as inflation to the consumer even though there has been no price increase the subsequent 3 years.
Its the old “I remember when gas was 60 cents a gallon thing”.
Old 06-04-2023, 05:56 PM   #1779

Quote:
Gumby was missing my point. Math is the math which is a given for the science of inflation. It is what it is definition wise. But consumers base inflation on how it hits their wallet. They really dont care about the proper terminology of inflation, disinflation, or deflation…..And they have a long memory of a price change. Something that went from $5 to $10 in one year and is $10 three years later will still be viewed as inflation to the consumer even though there has been no price increase the subsequent 3 years.
Its the old “I remember when gas was 60 cents a gallon thing”.

Exactly, just like my comments about the massive price increases on most everything since early 2020. Disinflation doesn't make that any better, it just makes those prices even higher, because it's still positive inflation. We're not going to see those prices again for most things. We consumers feel that sting for years... or forever in some cases.
Old 06-04-2023, 06:08 PM   #1780

Quote:
but that still doesn't mean that lower inflation means prices broadly are going down.
Of course it doesn't. By definition lower inflation means things are not going up as much. And going up 2-3% per year is totally normal, and should be expected in any retirement planning.
Closed Thread